Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
sodomanaz

Default Re: Thinking of joining the ARMY, what do you thin

For the part about relocation, I really don't want to uproot my life to a place where I have no family or friends and end up being laid off. That's basically that. Heck, I hope by the time I am out I will land a job working a US federal job in Malaysia/Indonesia. So it isn't about the relocation by itself.

For career fields:
I've been knee deep in ag sciences, business, language, and communication sciences the last few years of my college career. I've been leaning more and more towards marketing, but who knows. Heck, last summer I spent my time translating and researching privacy/freedom of information/expression laws in Malaysia and that was sort of fun.

I don't have much interest in knowing how to build a refrigerator though.

Thanks a lot guys for the responses!
Old 04-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #22
zitro_joe
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (16)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
zitro_joe is on a distinguished road

All branches want people with language skills! What language(s) do you know?
zitro_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #23
sodomanaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitro_joe View Post
All branches want people with language skills! What language(s) do you know?
Indo/Melayu (lived in both countries to learn differences), and Korean (working on this at the moment. I'm half Korean and my mother is a bit upset my vocab is crap).
Old 04-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #24
zitro_joe
Adjusting to the Life

Indonesian and Korean, youre money, Bro! If you decide to join take the DLAB and have them send you to DLI. Been there twice and it is awesome.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #25
tobii3

Tabb - you KNOW what I mean - not directed at you, directed at the Senior Leadership.

Marge - The MiTT teams were a BAD idea from the beginning. I can name dozens of MiTT teams that were assembled, well, for lack of better words, by picking names out of a hat. Having a team built with Recruiters, Drill Sergeants and Instructors who have NO experience, outside of the schoolhouse OR in Iraq, then being put together to TRAIN Iraqi's, does NOT work. As you have seen!

Sodomanaz - If you are serious, use your background as an advantage - Look into the Psychological Operations Field - 37A - They NEED people...and their mission is VERY unique from ANY other Branch in the Army.

As for languages, I would suggest Pashtu or Dari (for obvious reasons). The DLAB just shows your ability to learn a language - the DLPT will show your Proficiency in the language - Get the language testing done, and you will gain extra $$$ in your paycheck for FLPP (foreign language proficiency pay).

The other advantage of PsyOps is you'll bypass 99% of the Army units that play all the BS and f*ck-f*ck games.

Here's a reference -
Quote:
The skills you'll learn as a Psychological Operations Officer will help prepare you for a future within federal government agencies such as the State Department's Foreign Service and intelligence community's Central Intelligence Agency, Defense Intelligence Agency or the National Security Agency.

Last edited by tobii3; 04-05-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #26
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
Tabb - you KNOW what I mean - not directed at you, directed at the Senior Leadership.

Marge - The MiTT teams were a BAD idea from the beginning. I can name dozens of MiTT teams that were assembled, well, for lack of better words, by picking names out of a hat. Having a team built with Recruiters, Drill Sergeants and Instructors who have NO experience, outside of the schoolhouse OR in Iraq, then being put together to TRAIN Iraqi's, does NOT work. As you have seen!

Sodomanaz - If you are serious, use your background as an advantage - Look into the Psychological Operations Field - 37A - They NEED people...and their mission is VERY unique from ANY other Branch in the Army.

As for languages, I would suggest Pashtu or Dari (for obvious reasons). The DLAB just shows your ability to learn a language - the DLPT will show your Proficiency in the language - Get the language testing done, and you will gain extra $$$ in your paycheck for FLPP (foreign language proficiency pay).

The other advantage of PsyOps is you'll bypass 99% of the Army units that play all the BS and f*ck-f*ck games.

Here's a reference -
Sounds like you’ve experienced some of my pains and headaches? I actually work on a PTT. They are totally clueless, they know we know this and it drives them crazy. I could on and on how they get lost in town all the time and when we try to give advise we're told to shut up. So, like I said I head to Baghdad this Friday and on April 17th I'm out and arrive home on the 18th enshala. It feels good to vent a little!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #27
leasingthisspace

I was kidding Tobii you know I love you.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #28
zitro_joe
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
Well, the DLAB is used for that reason, but after instructing, I have to say that that the DLAB is out of date. Just my opinion from working with the students for four years. I had many students with HIGH DLAB scores fail out, vice versa with the individuals that scored low.

The reason I suggested taking it was because it is pretty much a pre-req to getting there. You do get paid on the level you score on the DLPT, that's where the money is; it is good money right now!

Dari(Farsi)/ Pashtu are just the flavor of the decade. Any opportunity to learn a language there should be snatched up. They are all used. There are a few languages that the services send one or two people a year- low flows.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #29
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

First Name: Michael
Trading: (3)
Punch Army (Retired)
michael88n is on a distinguished road

sodomanas,

Don't discount the Air Force. UW-Madison used to have a good AFROTC program, they probably still do. Talk with some of the cadre at the school. You might be able to go through the 2 year program and get your Master's knocked out at the same time.

I was enlisted in the Army for over seven years before (1) crossing into the blue and (2) becoming an officer. Since I've gone blue, I've had three jobs where I work more with the Army than I do with the Air Force. Today's military is more Joint then ever. This summer, once I return from A-Stan, I'm going to yet another Army assignment in Washington.

Even if you don't go through AFROTC, speaking with the officers at the AFROTC detachment will give you a better idea of different career fields that the military offers.

Definitely talk about this with your dad. You'll probably find that his insight will be of the most value.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Cheers,
Michael (Greg)
michael88n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #30
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Speaking of the AF...I just finished ROTC last may and went on active duty in July...I LOVE IT! I am getting a chance to do a lot...may be deploying early next year!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #31
Savvy
Bull Goose Loony

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (11)
Savvy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner View Post
I am getting a chance to do a lot...may be deploying early next year!
I think I'm going to deploy at the end of next year. So I guess we won't run into each other there.

I like the AF. I've been between AF and Army bases, and I like staying on the AF ones a lot more. I guess what it really comes down to though is what you want to specialize in.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:30 AM   #32
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Look at all of the services. Don't forget to look at the Marines also.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:01 AM   #33
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
Look at all of the services. Don't forget to look at the Marines also.

Look at your knowledge, abilities and interests and then look at the different opportunities available in all five of the military services. If you can find a place in the military where you can use what you have already learned or work in a field that interest you more, than you time in the military will be rewarding for both you and the service you choose.

And despite the good natured sniping that tends to happen between the various branches of the military, each service has something to offer that makes them worthwhile. If you're interested in environmental protection then you may want to take a look at what the Coast Guard has to offer, for example.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #34
sodomanaz

Thanks for all of the information everyone! I'm set to talk to my advisor/asst. dean a bit more later this week, so we'll see how things go. Definitely will be checking back here!