Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation
Default Rant...

So, a little over a month ago we ended up having mice in our apartment. We caught a few, and the poison the apartment complex caught one (of course it died behind the dishwasher and started to stink).

Anyway, we bought one of those electronic thingies that are supposed to keep them away. Said that the first two weeks might have increased activity. Well, none the first two weeks, now in the 3rd week and tonight, two of them. I heard the first one snap and knew what it was. Threw the trap away, replaced it and no more than 15 minutes later, snap again.

Now, I'm ranting mostly about our freaking apartment and the new management. 2 years here and not one problem, then they take over this summer and they obviously aren't doing something. Maybe it's that so many people moved out that the mice are going where people are? I'm not sure but we just got our new lease today and I'm wondering what to do. If it weren't such a pain to move, my decision would be made. Further complicating things is that we live in one of the three best neighborhoods in our city, and one of probably the top 5 in the metro area I'd want to live in.

Anyway, another rant is the snap traps. I chose them over the more "humane" ones because I thought they'd work better (which I think they do) and because I thought finishing the mice off quickly was more humane IMO. Since I actually heard them snap this time, I found out they don't exactly finish the mice off very quickly. I had to play executioner twice tonight. I couldn't in good conscious let them struggle to a slow death.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no animal rights activist, but I guess I have too much heart to let even a mouse die slowly if I can intervene.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Rant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
So, a little over a month ago we ended up having mice in our apartment. We caught a few, and the poison the apartment complex caught one (of course it died behind the dishwasher and started to stink).

Anyway, we bought one of those electronic thingies that are supposed to keep them away. Said that the first two weeks might have increased activity. Well, none the first two weeks, now in the 3rd week and tonight, two of them. I heard the first one snap and knew what it was. Threw the trap away, replaced it and no more than 15 minutes later, snap again.

Now, I'm ranting mostly about our freaking apartment and the new management. 2 years here and not one problem, then they take over this summer and they obviously aren't doing something. Maybe it's that so many people moved out that the mice are going where people are? I'm not sure but we just got our new lease today and I'm wondering what to do. If it weren't such a pain to move, my decision would be made. Further complicating things is that we live in one of the three best neighborhoods in our city, and one of probably the top 5 in the metro area I'd want to live in.

Anyway, another rant is the snap traps. I chose them over the more "humane" ones because I thought they'd work better (which I think they do) and because I thought finishing the mice off quickly was more humane IMO. Since I actually heard them snap this time, I found out they don't exactly finish the mice off very quickly. I had to play executioner twice tonight. I couldn't in good conscious let them struggle to a slow death.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no animal rights activist, but I guess I have too much heart to let even a mouse die slowly if I can intervene.
You big softee!!!!!

The new management probably cut back on costs and quit one (or all) of the pest programs the previous management had.

Sounds like you need bigger traps. more spring tension will take them out pronto. You know you are in trouble when they get caught and walk away with the traps!

Just so you know, we have friends that are having a banner year with mice this fall/early winter, after no issues over the last several years. I've got multiple cas outside, and one inside that seem to have them buffaloed, but have also had years in the past where they seem to be abundant!

Good luck with the problem.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

At least they aren't rats (yet). I know those will be able to walk away with the traps. These are just mice for now, and the normal victor traps are able to contain them fine, but man were they squirming. I really have no respect for pests like them, but I still can't let an animal suffer if I can help it.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
At least they aren't rats (yet). I know those will be able to walk away with the traps. These are just mice for now, and the normal victor traps are able to contain them fine, but man were they squirming. I really have no respect for pests like them, but I still can't let an animal suffer if I can help it.
Not a lot of choices out there, are there!!??

Traps sensitive enough to trip might be too small to kill, bigger traps might not snap. Sticky pads are definitely out for you, because the mice WILL still be alive and trying like heck to get out of the sticky goo. Humane traps just put them back in the environment for you or someone else to deal with, and poisons have all kinds of issues!

My grandmother had an old trap that was a quad design, with the trap underneath and four holes for trapping. when that thing snapped, the mice died instantly. Haven't seen one like it in 40 years.

Any efforts by the management would almost undoubtedly fall into the poison category. Maybe a local hardware store (not a super-store type) would have some different traps more likely to kill instantly.

If that does not work, let me know. I will mail you a cat or two
Old 03-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
BC-Axeman

These things work great!
http://www.amazon.com/Ortho-0321110-.../dp/B003YL4MG0

Old 03-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
I have had good luck with these also. I believe I may have a little bugger in the garage again.

We have been seeing a lot more in our neighborhood every since the neighbor's cat died last summer ....
Old 03-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Could be worse, my grandma had some rats that would run away with the rat traps, she bashed one on the head so hard with a flashlight one time she broke the flashlight. Turns out they were baby oppossums and the neighbor had shot their mother, so they came to grandma's looking for food.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear that. Mice are a PITA to deal with. Don't throw the traps away. The more mice you catch, the better they work because the get their scent on it and become more attractive. Anyhoo, the management company is not living up to their responsibilities. Good luck on whatever you choose.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/m260

I had no idea mouse traps ever got this high tech.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Hopefully David solved his mouse problem in the 3 1/2 years in the interim of the original post.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
Reaver2145

Have you thought about getting a cat.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Old 03-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
BC-Axeman

You think this was easy?
(With pic and all.)

Old 03-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
Reaver2145

Well at least i can get my necro fetish on now.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Post of the DAY Tom! Thank you.

Who's on first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Hopefully David solved his mouse problem in the 3 1/2 years in the interim of the original post.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I had mice in my house this past winter. I was looking around in a cupboard and found a bag of popcorn that was chewed open, with a nice pile of partially eaten kernels all over the place. Traps didn't work; they ate the bait and left the trap unsprung, so with some trepidation I used D-Con to get rid of them. Luckily, no smell from dead carcasses. They must have been living in the crawl space under the house. Apparently they loved eating the D-Con; I had to replace the box every few days for two weeks until the stuff was finally sitting there without any rodents eating it. From what I understand, they die a pretty unpleasant death from that stuff. Oh well. I don't want rabies infected varmints running around in my house!
Closed Thread