Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
zipa

Default Fuente advice needed

I recently had a Fuente Hemingway Short Story with a couple of years on it, and I must say that for the first time, I was *really* impressed by a NC smoke. So, naturally, I'll be wanting some more, and would also like to sample some other Fuentes. Problem is that they cost an arm and a leg over here in Europe, so I'd like some pointers on what to expect from the different lines before ordering anything. So, if possible, could someone who considers him/herself to be a "Fuente-connoiseur" list some "defining characteristics" of the different Fuente lines? I'm not that crazy about maduros (CAO Brazilia is so far the only maduro I've really enjoyed), so I'd be mostly interested in the "natural" versions.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fuente advice needed

Welcome to the incline (other side of the slope).
Old 08-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
SkinsFanLarry

Well, I'm far from being a "Fuente-connoiseur" , I'm not a fan of there overpriced cigars.

The best lines, in my opinion, are the Casa Fuente, Hemingway, Anejo, and Don Carlos cigars. (I rank them in that order too!) The legendary Opus X is the most overpriced cigar on the market, again in my opinion.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
GoldnGT
Hibbidy Jibbidy

First Name: Michael
Trading: (2)
PL
GoldnGT is on a distinguished road

Depends on where you find the Opus. Our local B&M was carrying them at MSRP. I had to look twice at the price when I saw the Perf X and the Perf4 sizes as the prices were so low.

I have not had the oportunity to smoke a Casa Fuente yet, but I know I love the Hemmingway and Anejo. The "green label" sticks are ok, but i'd probally have to rate them at the bottom of the chain on the Fuente sticks i've smoked. But you can't go wrong with any of the Hemmingway line for sure.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
zipa

Are all of the Hemingways similar in flavor? Excluding the maduros, of course.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

Casa Fuente are by far the most overpriced. Opus-X can routinely be had for ~MSRP and at that price as pretty hard to beat for NC, complex leather and wood tastes. The Anejo are equaly as good and bring a good amount of cocao to the party, same filler binder as the Opus with a aged connie wrapper. The Don Carlos is a cammie wrapper, but like the Hemingway line. I love the Don Carlos, much more subtle spiciness (sweet spice, not pepper) then the Hemingway line but if you enjoy cammies, try one of these lines. The "green" are the Sun Grown, never been a fan of these either. Start with the Hemingway Short Story like you did, then move onto bigger Hemingways, then Don Carlos, then Opus/anejo (price increases with this list).

Gluck!

Last edited by bigloo; 08-27-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Did not read original post completely:)
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

You can't beat Tampa Sweethearts for the price. Period.
I enjoy most all Fuentes, except the Opus. Curley Heads and Candelas are awful, too.
Don Carlos are good stuff. I could go on forever.
I'm pretty much a fuente whore, although I don't reasch for them as often as I used to. I smoke a lot more in the winter.
Lots of guys reallt like the King B sungrown. I don't care for it all that much, but it's popular.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
zipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloo View Post
If the cost is very high, try get a Hemingway Short Story, the cheapest of their good smokes to try it out. IF you like that, move onto bigger Hemingways, then Don Carlos, then Opus/anejo (price increases with this list).
Yeah, I still have a few Short Stories left, but I think I'm going to hang on to those to see how they are with 5+ years on them (I think mine are three years old now). Might have to get a box of those for the wait, though. Still, if the flavor is similar between all of the Hemingways, I'll probably go for a somewhat larger size. Any good shops over in the US that you could recommend? The Short Stories are 13 euros a piece over here, so I'll definitely risk customs for that price...
Old 08-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipa View Post
Are all of the Hemingways similar in flavor? Excluding the maduros, of course.
Yes they are fairly consistent size to size, and the Don Carlos has the same wrapper as the Hemingway but has a bit more body. I do encourage you to try the Hemingway Maduros they are really a pretty good smoke but are limited production.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
joed

If you like the short story - you will like the rest of the hemingway line - the signature is my favorite in that line. I think the Don Carlos has that nice full bodied smooth profile as well and may be just a bit smoother. I like the number 4 in that line.

The other Fuente cigars will taste a bit sharper and have a slightly stronger after taste than either the Hemingway or Don Carlos lines. The Rothchild is OK - but for someone that is use to smoking the real cigars (Cubans) - the hemingways and don carlos may be the two best choices for NC cigars that might satisfy your palate.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #11
ratpack

The 858 is great I think
Old 08-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
zipa

OK, thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably order a box from the Hemingway line from somewhere in the states, and try to see if I could squeeze in a few singles from the Don Carlos series as well. Now, where should I put that cabinet humidor that I'll be needing shortly...
Old 08-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #13
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpack View Post
The 858 is great I think
One of the first cigars I bought multiple boxes of.

Here's a link to some Hemingways...
https://www.holts.com/category.html?...75&trail=86665
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

My personal favorite Fuente is the Casa Fuente line, but like stated before they are extremely over priced.

But I deffinatly agree that you can't really go wrong except with the "green label" ones.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #15
zipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Here's a link to some Hemingways...
https://www.holts.com/category.html?...75&trail=86665
Nice... For the local price of a handful of Short Stories I could get a box of Signatures delivered. Thanks for the link, I'll be doing some "research" here...
Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #16
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

I started with the Natural Chateau line with the green on the band , still love them . The band with black at the bottom is either a sun-grown wrapper(peppery) , Don Carlos or Hemingway . The Hemi's are all figurados . Anejos have maduro wrappers that have been aged in Cognac barrels . The Opus have much bigger flavors to me . Enjoy your hunt . My favorite of the Hemi line is also the Signature .
Old 08-29-2009, 07:00 AM   #17
flat6nut

I absolutely love the Hemi series (all of them), but have to say I think the Perfect Story is the perfect sized smoke. Short Stories leave me wanting more, and I will often smoke two of them back to back.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
Chemyst
Doin Time on Planet Earth

First Name: Ken
Trading: (7)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
Chemyst is on a distinguished road

Fuentes are my 'go to' smoke. They are always well constructed and tasty.
The Hemingway maduros are my favorite, especially with age.

The OpusX, Anejos and Don Carlos are also very good, but pricey.
Cuesta-Reys are good, affordable smokes, and the Chateau Fuentes
are pretty good, too. But the Hemi's hit the spot, usually.

Since I only smoke 2-3 per week, Hemingways can be my 'daily' smoke.
But I do smoke other brands for different tastes. Ashtons are also v. good.

BTW, I can make a short trip every couple of months to Holts in
Philly, which is Fuente Central for me. They usually have some
of the htf Fuentes available, and around Xmas time Holts is tops!
This year I hope to get a box of Hemi maddies. We'll see how my
budget and the availability of Hemi maddies coincide.

Chemyst

Last edited by Chemyst; 08-29-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Chemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #19
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

First Name: Craig
Trading: (47)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
SmokinCozy is on a distinguished road

Casa Fuente (CG)....pricey stick but after smoking I have never had any regrets.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #20
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road

Good advice on here. Hemingways -- you can't go wrong.

Try the Don Carlos line. Stronger cigars, but really tasty.

And, if you can find them, the Sun Grown Chateaus are GREAT. And, they are not expensive. You won't go wrong with the natural or maduro Chateaus, but the SG are my favorite. As mentioned before the 858's are really good, too, and not expensive either.

Happy tasting! You have some good smokes in your future.
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote