Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 03-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
Ferrari5180 is on a distinguished road
Default The Black Donnellys

Has anyone every watch this Television Show? It has to be the best that I have ever watched. This is my second time watching the first season, and I am loving it every time I watch it. I think everyone should watch it at some point in their life. Let me know those who have or are interested.

About: The series follows four young Roman Catholic Irish-American brothers in Hell's Kitchen and their involvement with organized crime.[1] Although the show is set in the present day, it draws heavily upon Irish-American history and iconic themes. The pilot episode illustrates a clear tension and rivalry between the Irish and the Italians. The episodes are narrated by a childhood friend, Joey "Ice Cream", whom the show depicts as an unreliable narrator. In creating the show, Haggis, a native of London, Ontario, strongly referenced his hometown's local history about the real-life Black Donnellys and the massacre associated with their name. In the pilot episode, Joey says that the neighborhood is populated primarily by "Black Irish", whom he calls "a race of dark-haired people" that the Celts had failed to wipe out in Ireland. Hell's Kitchen in the series is also a fairly faithful depiction - a traditionally working class neighborhood with a deeply entrenched ethnic Irish population and an Irish Mob with control over gambling, loansharking, and heavy involvement in the unions. Although the Black Donnellys is set in 2005, Hell's Kitchen is shown to be slowly overtaken by gentrification and development that threatens to displace the Irish population, a fate that Hell's Kitchen actually succumbed to in the early 1990s. (Wikipedia)

They took the show off the air due to the declining rate of viewers during the first three episodes and because they ran out of money. NBC canceled the show and replaced it with some other reality tv show, as always. All other episodes from 4-13 were streamed online.

** Here is the Youtube link to the 1st Episode **

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpE4uJAHnNo

(Follow the links on the left hand to continue throughout the parts.)

Enjoy!

Ferrari5180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
BillyCigars

Default Re: The Black Donnellys

I absolutely LOVED this show - smart, entertaining television. Which of course means it was doomed to cancellation. Oh well.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

I liked that show alot. It seemed to get dumped pretty quick though. How many Full seasons actually aired?
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

There was only 1 season released on DVD, however, only 3 episodes were aired. The last 10 episodes, for a total of 13, were streamed on NBC's website.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Fantastic show. IMO would have done better on F/X
Old 03-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure the entire season was aired, I remember watching it up until the last episode on TV. I think they shifted the timeslot around a lot though.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
I'm pretty sure the entire season was aired, I remember watching it up until the last episode on TV. I think they shifted the timeslot around a lot though.
What happened was that other independent broadcasting shows picked up the un-aired episodes and showed them. However, they were only shown a long long time after their initial releases. The real release of the episodes were only streamed online during their respective days.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari5180 View Post
What happened was that other independent broadcasting shows picked up the un-aired episodes and showed them. However, they were only shown a long long time after their initial releases. The real release of the episodes were only streamed online during their respective days.
After doing a little research, it looks like the first 6 episodes were aired, and after reading the synopsis', it sounds like I only watched those 6 epi's. Thanks for the reminder. Now I need go go watch the rest!
Old 03-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

You should go watch the rest. Hell, if you can, try and buy it. I am thinking of buying it, despite the fact that I usually download all my episodes. I want to own these on DVD so I can cherish them Thanks for the extra research, I guess I was off. Wikipedia and some sources can be wrong at times. Let us know when you watch it, along with your comments.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

Just bought myself The Black Donnellys series on DVD on eBay. Here is the link, just in-case someone also wants to buy it. It is not expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-DONNELLYS-...item1c10be8196
Old 03-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
tx_tuff

Yeah I watched it only to be pissed off when they canceled it! Freaking hate when that happens!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

It would have never been canceled if anything other than NBC picked it up. NBC has a tendency to drop good shows and keep all those bad reality shows. I have been hoping for 3 years now that someone like HBO picks it up. I have my fingers crossed all the time.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I think that time has passed. Once you break up a cast and crew, it is unlikely there will ever
be enough momentum to justify trying it twice. Plus there is the "black mark" on them as having been
"unpopular" on their shot. I mean some other outlet might buy the episodes and run them in sequence
for you, but nothing new. I was working promotions for a NBC affiliate during the time this show broke, and I got
to watch all the pilots 2-3 months early. This was good enough to run, but I agree, not on NBC. This is
an ABC or a Fox show. They got dealt to the wrong network, for all the reasons you stated, and
for a few more you don't know.
By the way, there was a affiliate's meeting party thrown to launch the shows that year,
and the girl who plays "Pam" on "the office" was one of the hostesses, and she was onstage
in this dress that was about as complimentary to her bust as you can possibly imagine.
God I wish I had that tape today.
She has NEVER been photographed in anything like that ever, to my knowledge. Two puppies
playing in a chiffon sack!

Last edited by OLS; 03-19-2010 at 12:43 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

I always wondered what happened to that show. It is a shame that great shows get canned like that. This show was one of my favorites and I caught them all when they originally aired and one day they just disappeared. I was kind of pissed about it. Going to try to catch all the ones I haven't seen.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

My Grade 5 teacher read the book to us in class (based on the actual family massacre) during the first half of the year. Still remember that.
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...5249-item.html
Haven't seen the series so not sure if it reflects the original story or not
Old 03-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #16
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
My Grade 5 teacher read the book to us in class (based on the actual family massacre) during the first half of the year. Still remember that.
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...5249-item.html
Haven't seen the series so not sure if it reflects the original story or not
You should look into TBD, and let us know if it does represent the series at all. If it does, I wouldn't mind buying the book and reading it.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #17
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

Here is a petition if anyone would like to sign it.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/Donnellys/
Old 03-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #18
pennjones
amateur afficionado!

First Name: Brad
Trading: (12)
Punch
pennjones is on a distinguished road

I remember watching this show and both me and my wife thought it was the best tv show we've ever seen. Then it got canceled after a few episodes and me and her were both upset about it. Really enjoyed that show. Thanks for bringing it up again, I just added it to netflix and it should be here on Wednesday!
pennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #19
D. Generate
El Dudarino

First Name: Dale
Trading: (1)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
D. Generate is on a distinguished road

I only watched one episode and it was at my in-laws in Madrid, so it was dubbed in Spanish. Always an amusing experience.

I think I followed it well enough and was curious to see more but never followed up. I'll have to look for the episodes now.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #20
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Great show, sucked that they killed it...