Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-20-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
sweater914
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
sweater914 is on a distinguished road
Default New to Pipes

I've tried to sort through some of the sticky links to decide what route I should take, but will defer to vast knowledge base here.

If you had to start over, which style/brand pipe would be your first purchase?

Likewise, which tobaccos and blends would your start off with?

What tools are needed to maintain and smoke your pipe?

Can pipe tobacco and cigars live in the same coolidor/humidor without adversely effecting each other's flavors?

Lastly, which websites provide a general pipe tobacco information, for beginners through mature users, and general industry news/trends?

Thanks for the help folks.
sweater914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:39 PM   #2
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New to Pipes

I've tried to sort through some of the sticky links to decide what route I should take, but will defer to vast knowledge base here.

CORN COB. A few of them.

Go to your local B&M and get an ounce each of some of the bulk blends and see what you like. You might like aeros or English or Virginias or VaPers. Try them out.

To begin with. A lighter, a tamper of some sort [empty 223 shell works], pipe cleaners.

Can pipe tobacco and cigars live in the same coolidor/humidor without adversely effecting each other's flavors?

I don't recommend it. Put your pipe tobacco in mason jars.

Lastly, which websites provide a general pipe tobacco information, for beginners through mature users, and general industry news/trends?

Cigar asylum. Retailers: 4noggins, pipesandcigars, cupojoes. Lots of good YouTube videos.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #3
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I'm fairly new to pipes too, but I would recommend that you buy the prettiest pipe/pipes you can afford. If you don't like the pipe, you'll not smoke it as much. As for what you'll need: a pipe tool and some pipe cleaners, perhaps a cork knocker. If there's one piece of advice that's helped me immeasurably, it is to dry out your tobacco before you smoke it; it's the moisture in the tobacco that causes tongue bite. Dry it so that when squeezed between your thumb and forefinger, it doesn't stick together and don't pack it tightly; many tobaccos will expand in the bowl and will cause the draw to get tight. Also, try to pace your draws with your natural breathing rhythm. I also try to keep the coal small-ish and almost on the verge of going out. Don't sweat re-lights; just do it and don't worry. Personally, I use paper matches because they produce a small flame and it's easier to prevent scorching the rims of my pipes. It seems to me that pipe tobacco needs more humidity than cigars in storage, so I would recommend the old stand-by: Mason jars. They're airtight and thus won't usually need humidification, unless your tobacco gets too dry. As for what type of blends, that's completely subjective and you'll have to experiment. What do you like in cigars? On second thought, try an English blend or a crossover like GLP Barbary Coast; it's pretty user friendly. Welcome aboard!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:00 AM   #4
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough

Matt and Darren both have great advice here.

If I may expand on the first part. Go with a couple Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cobs as well as a Briar that catches your eye. Don't feel like you have to drop over $100 on one, I have a great basket pipe I purchased for $30 or so 10 years ago that ranks among my favorites. If you're going to be tasting several blends, you will want to rotate through your pipes to allow them to dry between smokes.

The Mason jars are great for long term storage. You may find something you don't enjoy now, may be wonderful a year from now as your tastes change and evolve.

Pace your smoke, take your time
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:35 AM   #5
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweater914 View Post

Thanks for the help folks.
Welcome neighbour ! I suggest you cross the line to buy your tobacco - it's 4x the price up here in MB. Good advice above. I suggest buying a spread of 2oz tins of decent tobacco. Spread across aromatics, traditional Balkans and Vapers.

For me the fun is trying different pipes with different tobaccos. It's really not that expensive if you don't smoke excessively ( which will kill you anyway). Personally I would buy a sandblast as my first brier - you won't notice the scorched rim as badly as a highly polished smooth brier. In the beginning you will scorch the rim!

If you get your mail on the Canadian side I can guide you to an online retailer who is extremely helpful in curtailing your costs. Pembina parcel service also helps, but you will have to declare the stuff when you cross.

This website is a great resource for advice. Good people hang out here.

Enjoy!

Neil
Old 03-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
sweater914
Still Watching My Back

Thanks for the replies fellas, it's narrows the search somewhat. My lovely spouse tolerates the cigar stink, but she really enjoyed her grandpa's pipe, which is another excuse to give pipes a try.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

A number of good responses here.

Buying a pipe: Cobs are cheap and smoke cool. Pull off the stem and throw away the filter inside, all it does is gunk up - and once something has been smoked through it, it will forever flavor anything else. Also, if you do not like smoking a pipe, you have not invested much. Finally, get a number of them for the different "genres" (my own term) of tobacco; English, Virginia, Virginia w/Perique, Burley, Orientals, Aromatic (anything with flavoring added).

If you'd like to get a pipe other than a cob, then the other advice works well, get one that looks nice to you, or, if you can hold it in your hand before purchasing, one that looks nice and feels good in your hand. If you don't like it, you won't smoke it.

Not also that not everything that smells wonderful in the room while smoked, tastes as good. In fact, often times the aromatics with flavors added smell great to others, but do nasty things to the smokers tongue and often tasty like camel dung.

Tobaccos: Some good advice there. Another might be to offer up a trade on here - cigars for a tobacco sampler. That way you will get a few different things to try and all you are out is a few cigars. I'd offer, but the only thing I really have to smoke is Virginias and VaPers - usually not the type of things for beginning pipesters to smoke, especially cigars smokers. Why? Cigar smokers are used to big flavors and lots of smoke. Virginias have subtle flavors which are best tasted when "sipped," that is, when the amount of smoke produced is not copious. Puffing these to get lots of smoke and/or flavor can ruin a person's tongue because a person is puffing hard as they try producing more smoke.

Tools: You will need something to produce a flame, either matches or lighter. If you have a local tobacconist, get a pipe nail (flat on one end, what looks like almost like a spoon on the other end. And finally, pipe cleaners - if you hear a gurgle, insert a pipe cleaner (do not take the stem out of the pipe to do so).

Finally, know this, not everybody like smoking a pipe! It may or may not be for you.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
sweater914
Still Watching My Back

Thanks Rev, I've narrowed the search, it'll have to wait until the next paycheck, doesn't mean I can't window shop between now and then.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
gravel
Still Washing My Back

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (3)
HdM
gravel will become famous soon enough

its a bad idea to store your pipe tobacco with your cigars. I've safely kept PT in sample baggies while smoking it up, so it isn't always necessary to transfer bagged or tinned contents to mason jars if you are smoking frequently enough. If you are done sampling and want to move on, stick the remainder in a mason jar.

Here is some other good advice:
Pack less tobacco in your pipe. You don't need to stuff it full. You should experience a little resistance as you draw, but it shouldn't feel like a thick homemade milkshake.
Puff slowly and take time between puffs.
Don't fear relights. You don't need to worry about the pipe going out.
Tamp lightly. Sometimes a light tamp and steady puff will forestall a relight.

Enjoy the learning curve and ritual!
gravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:44 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel View Post
its a bad idea to store your pipe tobacco with your cigars. I've safely kept PT in sample baggies while smoking it up, so it isn't always necessary to transfer bagged or tinned contents to mason jars if you are smoking frequently enough. If you are done sampling and want to move on, stick the remainder in a mason jar.

Here is some other good advice:
Pack less tobacco in your pipe. You don't need to stuff it full. You should experience a little resistance as you draw, but it shouldn't feel like a thick homemade milkshake.
Puff slowly and take time between puffs.
Don't fear relights. You don't need to worry about the pipe going out.
Tamp lightly. Sometimes a light tamp and steady puff will forestall a relight.

Enjoy the learning curve and ritual!
More great advice.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
...and often tasty like camel dung.
I thought that was Latakia, not aromatics.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
I thought that was Latakia, not aromatics.
Latakia is cured by hanging over smoking camel dung.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:36 AM   #13
sweater914
Still Watching My Back

UPDATE:

My lovely wife simply couldn't wait. We were going to the liquor store for some bourbon, my brother's getting married next week and I wasn't going empty handed with the Ole Man in attendance. I found the Bulleit (the Ole Man's favorite), on sale for $19 when she wandered over to the humidor and pipe section of the shop. SHE starts digging through the three small baskets of pipes.

I kindly pointed out that she could find some pipes online that were less expensive and we were trying to be sensible with the budget. So we left, did some more shopping for the road trip, when she says let's go back to Happy Harry's. OK babe, twist my arm some more.

She picked out the pipe, $40 because she liked the figure in the wood, Italy is stamped on the bottom of the pipe, that's all I know about the pipe. I don't usually impulse buy without some product research, sometimes though it's just better to go with the flow and not worry about the spec sheet, and she was driven to find me something. Along with the pipe I picked out from a very limited selection Lane Limited LQ1 and BCA.

After finishing our shopping I set some LQ1 out on a paper plate for about 45 minutes and gave the pipe it's first helping. It was a completing enjoyable experience, more importantly my lovely enjoyed the aroma out on the deck. Very mild and completely different experience from cigars, still working out the technique which with practice should improve.

She tolerates the cigars but says I look good with a pipe. Did I find the right woman? I'll let you guys decide.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #14
rwiiames
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Wes
Trading: (0)
rwiiames is on a distinguished road

I'd say she's a keeper fer shure.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #15
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

First Name: Bill
Trading: (0)
LGC AirForce (Disabled Vet)
The.Sheepdog is on a distinguished road

if your gal is pipe & tobacco friendly I recommend you buy her some jewelry asap and tell her why! She is worth more than gold!
The.Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #16
sweater914
Still Watching My Back

Believe me, she gets spoiled, I bought her Eagles tickets when they come to Grand Forks. I bought two in case she wanted to take someone of her choosing, she's taking my son. I don't mind the band, just not a concert goin type of guy.