Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 07-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Bialetti Brikka?

Is this pot really that much better than just the regular Moka pot? I enjoy my moka pot, but I would prefer my Black Cat to be a little more creamy and some people have said the Brikka can do that. Thanks for the advice guys
Old 07-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Re: Bialetti Brikka?

Also, I can't seem to find the 4-cup Brikka anywhere. It's back ordered everywhere. If anyone can tell me who has some for sale, let me know.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Q: are you already getting crema extractions like this from your current mokapot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ISSFtxI6U

If so, a Brikka is no improvement. If not, you need to work on your technique a little bit.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Q: are you already getting crema extractions like this from your current mokapot?

If so, a Brikka is no improvement. If not, you need to work on your technique a little bit.
I do get some decent fake crema on my moka. Will the Brikka make my coffee more creamy though?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
TXRebel
Have My Own Room

First Name: Cary
Trading: (12)
TXRebel has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Also, I can't seem to find the 4-cup Brikka anywhere. It's back ordered everywhere. If anyone can tell me who has some for sale, let me know.
Amazon
Old 07-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
...I was a little disappointed with the video Dan. This guy makes a great mokapot of coffee, but, he fails to pour for the audience. What's that all about?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
Tyler

Man I definitely need to get back into this. When I studied abroad in Italy last summer we were always making this kind of coffee (is it just called espresso?). The apartments we were staying at had moka pots and the coffee provided. So good! The people who had been before always made the coffee so I never knew how to do it. Is it complicated? The video made it seem pretty easy but I am sure that is not the case. Also, to get started would I just need a moka pot and some espresso coffee? I don't mean to hijack the thread and I can post this in a new one if you guys feel it is taking away from the topic.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
...I was a little disappointed with the video Dan. This guy makes a great mokapot of coffee, but, he fails to pour for the audience. What's that all about?
I drink coffee from the pot - and hot grease from the frying pan. This is the North Carolina way.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
Man I definitely need to get back into this. When I studied abroad in Italy last summer we were always making this kind of coffee (is it just called espresso?). The apartments we were staying at had moka pots and the coffee provided. So good! The people who had been before always made the coffee so I never knew how to do it. Is it complicated? The video made it seem pretty easy but I am sure that is not the case. Also, to get started would I just need a moka pot and some espresso coffee? I don't mean to hijack the thread and I can post this in a new one if you guys feel it is taking away from the topic.
Its not difficult at all, hell even I can do it

This thread helped me start

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=705
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Mister Moo

Quote:
I do get some decent fake crema on my moka. Will the Brikka make my coffee more creamy though?
I think not; the widget automatically creates the pressure (to produce a good brew and some false crema) that you should be able to create equally well (or better) with proper grind and basket-filling technique. In either case you must have freshly roasted beans.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...highlight=moka
Old 07-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
Its not difficult at all, hell even I can do it

This thread helped me start

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=705
Quote:
Beat ya to it
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #13
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I drink coffee from the pot - and hot grease from the frying pan. This is the North Carolina way.
I should've known...

Old 07-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
I should've known...

He also consumes his Kopi Luwak straight out of the civets....... oh, never mind.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
Tyler

Is Imusa a good brand? I am at target and they have a stainless steel one.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #16
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Have you tried directly from Bialetti? http://www.bialettishop.com/BrikkaMain.htm I did not go through the entire order process but it seems they have them. Don't listen to Moo, he is just bitter about the widget. What the widget allows is for different grind size and packing compared to the exact formula for getting a moka pot to sing false crema. you can get a Brikka to taste like a perfect packed moka pot but you can not get a moka pot to brew like a Brikka, that is the difference. Mr Moo taught me, along with many others to make a moka pot sing but if I want to brew up some light city to city+ roast I would never think of a moka pot but the Brikka will do it.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #17
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantown rob View Post
Have you tried directly from Bialetti? http://www.bialettishop.com/BrikkaMain.htm I did not go through the entire order process but it seems they have them. Don't listen to Moo, he is just bitter about the widget. What the widget allows is for different grind size and packing compared to the exact formula for getting a moka pot to sing false crema. you can get a Brikka to taste like a perfect packed moka pot but you can not get a moka pot to brew like a Brikka, that is the difference. Mr Moo taught me, along with many others to make a moka pot sing but if I want to brew up some light city to city+ roast I would never think of a moka pot but the Brikka will do it.
Bialetti's shop was out of the Brikka's for fews days but they seem to have them again. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #18
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantown rob View Post
Have you tried directly from Bialetti? http://www.bialettishop.com/BrikkaMain.htm ...if I want to brew up some light city to city+ roast I would never think of a moka pot but the Brikka will do it.
Brikka backsliders are...

just....

I don't know...

Whenever I can't think of anything nice to say...

o m g....

there is no telling WHAT I'll say.

Schweinhundt!!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #19
ChicagoWhiteSox

Say what you need to say Dan
Old 08-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #20
Mister Moo

I am over it now.

Sorry Rob. I was overcome by a purist episode.