Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
jaydub13
aka Little Pickle

First Name: Jason
Trading: (5)
Partagas
jaydub13 is on a distinguished road
Default A year ago today....

I'm not really sure why, but this is just a little something I felt like sharing with the board...

A year ago today, I was coming back from a one day turn-around to Vegas(meeting up with a woman, as all bad decisions start), got delayed, and fell asleep at the wheel between Baker and Barstow. I was only asleep for a split second, but that split second was enough for me to travel off of the road. I awoke to find 3 wheels off the road, and immediately corrected, but in the soft sand of the desert, I over-corrected, and found myself moving backwards, headed across the 15. The car went off the other side of the road, and flipped end over end, landing shiny side up.

Time for a little backstory.... A week before, I was diagnosed with a blood clot in my leg, and prescribed Warfarin(blood thinners). Because of this, as soon as I regained my bearings, I got out of the vehicle, called 911, and assessed my situation. My Honda Accord was totalled, with every window but the windshield broken. Literally everything in the car but me and my phone was strewn across the dirt, and my backseat was full of broken glass and rocks. And yet, somehow, I was without a cut.

I did not walk away unscathed, however, as I had cracked a rib and punctured a lung. As it turns out, the rib that was broken had come within 1 cm of puncturing the sac around my heart.

I regularly think back to that experience, and say a silent thanks to whomever was looking down on me that day, as I know that I should not have lived through that.

I decided that I would commemorate the anniversary of my second chance by quitting cigarettes. I have been smoking for a little over 6 years now, and I don't want to be reliant on them anymore. A second chance at life deserves to be remembered by quitting something that I know can have terrible lasting consequences. I will be using Nicorette, but if anyone has any tips for me, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time, Inmates!
jaydub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: A year ago today....

Glad you are with us, Jason, and good luck with the quest to quit!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Good luck with the quitting cigs - many of us have. You just have to make up your mind and stick with it. It's not easy, but it can certainly be done. The first month or so is the hardest - then it gets easier.

Your story rang a bell with me. Nine years ago my wife flipped her Explorer on the Palmdale Road coming back from Barstow and rolled it 3 times. Thankfully she also walked away. Makes you realize just how precious life is.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

That's very lucky! I fell asleep on that same stretch heading home from vegas once, luckly my friend was watching me right as my head dropped. He drove the rest of the way.

Glad you're ok, I never got into cigs so I'm no help there but you best have had a good stogie to comemorait your second chance!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are here brother!!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Glad you're still with us! And good luck on quitting the smokes!

I am exactly 1 week away from my 13th anniversary of giving up cigarettes.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Good luck!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
Beer Doctor

in the past 3 years ive had my dad lacerate his kidney and my sister shatter her arm and fracture her neck in car wrecks. Luckily both are or should be ok. good to hear your quitting cigs. Ive quit chew and cigs in my life and the best advice i can give is to go cold turkey. No cigs no nicorette no cigars for at least 6 months. Then you can smokr cigars but be careful. They can lead to relapse under alcohol influenced decisions. Its one of the hardest things youll do in your life but its definitely possible. good luck bro!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

We are all glad you are still here Bro.

All I have is tough love for you quitting cigarettes. Like Bill said,a bunch of us here have done it and you will too.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #10
mad4maduro
The Original CIGARtist

First Name: Eric
Trading: (0)
mad4maduro is on a distinguished road

wow! thanks for sharing that, bro. Congratulations....on quitting cigarettes.....on your gratitude....on life. This was a great way to start my day. Thanks, brother.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Good luck man. I am glad you are still with us!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote