Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation
Default Apple Executives Cash in Over 1 Million Shares of Apple Stock

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/26/...f-apple-stock/

In a series of filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission yesterday, Apple revealed that a number of its senior executives have cashed in on over a million shares of Apple stock as shares granted to them over four years ago became fully vested. Fortune offers a summary of the transactions:

More than a million restricted shares of Apple (AAPL) stock that seven of them were granted on Dec. 14, 2005 became fully vested Wednesday. The next day, with Apple opening at an all-time record high, four of them sold off all those shares pursuant, as the SEC Form 4 has it, to a Rule 10b5-1 trading plan.
The SEC maintains strict regulations regarding insider trading, requiring those shareholders with access to nonpublic information that could materially affect a company's stock price to fully disclose their trading to the SEC and take other steps such as scheduling trades in advance in order to limit the ability of such shareholders to take advantage of other traders. The vesting of stock grants that occurred this week also created tax liabilities for the executives involved, requiring them to cash in at least some of their holdings to cover those costs.

Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook took home the biggest payday yesterday, selling 300,000 shares of stock for a total of $68.8 million. $32 million of that amount was set aside for taxes. Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer and Senior Vice President of Retail Ron Johnson each turned in 200,000 shares to the tune of nearly $46 million apiece, and Senior Vice President of Worldwide Product Marketing Phil Schiller cashed in 150,000 shares for nearly $35 million.

Senior Vice Presidents Bertrand Serlet (Software Engineering), Scott Forstall (iPhone Software), and Bob Mansfield (Mac Hardware Engineering) also cashed in on their stock grants, but only in sufficient quantities to cover their tax obligations.
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Apple Executives Cash in Over 1 Million Shares of Apple Stock

what an evil thing to do! They should have waited until it came down from it's 52 week high and then cashed them in.
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/26/...f-apple-stock/

In a series of filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission yesterday, Apple revealed that a number of its senior executives have cashed in on over a million shares of Apple stock as shares granted to them over four years ago became fully vested. Fortune offers a summary of the transactions:

More than a million restricted shares of Apple (AAPL) stock that seven of them were granted on Dec. 14, 2005 became fully vested Wednesday. The next day, with Apple opening at an all-time record high, four of them sold off all those shares pursuant, as the SEC Form 4 has it, to a Rule 10b5-1 trading plan.
The SEC maintains strict regulations regarding insider trading, requiring those shareholders with access to nonpublic information that could materially affect a company's stock price to fully disclose their trading to the SEC and take other steps such as scheduling trades in advance in order to limit the ability of such shareholders to take advantage of other traders. The vesting of stock grants that occurred this week also created tax liabilities for the executives involved, requiring them to cash in at least some of their holdings to cover those costs.

Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook took home the biggest payday yesterday, selling 300,000 shares of stock for a total of $68.8 million. $32 million of that amount was set aside for taxes. Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer and Senior Vice President of Retail Ron Johnson each turned in 200,000 shares to the tune of nearly $46 million apiece, and Senior Vice President of Worldwide Product Marketing Phil Schiller cashed in 150,000 shares for nearly $35 million.

Senior Vice Presidents Bertrand Serlet (Software Engineering), Scott Forstall (iPhone Software), and Bob Mansfield (Mac Hardware Engineering) also cashed in on their stock grants, but only in sufficient quantities to cover their tax obligations.
What's your point? They take stock options instead of pay. They did what was allowed and did it according to the rules.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
What's your point? They take stock options instead of pay. They did what was allowed and did it according to the rules.
Just sharing some info. What's your point?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
ScottishSmoker

If I were the execs, I would also cash out now....and then I would take my money that I made and started playing puts on Apple for the months of May and June....no way is that stock going too maintain its value...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
taltos
Really, really old

taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
Just sharing some info. What's your point?
I misread your post, thought that you were saying that the sale was wrong. We have known each other since the old board, sorry for misreading your post.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
I misread your post, thought that you were saying that the sale was wrong. We have known each other since the old board, sorry for misreading your post.
I don't mind being called out, but I have to do something first.

I don't blame them one bit.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Thats BADASS! Wish I was them!
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

So is Apple going to go up or down?
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

They were forced by the new tax rules to cash in some stock based upon the vesting date. Unless you have the cash on hand, taxes are due on the stock value on the date they become fully vested. In some cases these guys may have millions of shares to pay taxes upon. In some ways they would have been better off to become fully vested at a lower price and then see the stock rise. Now they have a big problem it the stock falls as they paid taxes on the high.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #11
taltos
Really, really old

The effects of a sell off like that could be a short-term down turn but the product is too good for the stock to stay down too long.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Do the TOE have to file with the SEC when they cash in their vested shares of Cgar Asylum?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The next day, with Apple opening at an all-time record high...
Freakin brilliant.
The rough part was the setting half of it aside for taxes part. That's gotta suck.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
The next day, with Apple opening at an all-time record high...
Freakin brilliant.
The rough part was the setting half of it aside for taxes part. That's gotta suck.
Yeah but it's still multi millions they probably did not have prior.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I hate big executives like Dave K as much as the next guy, but even while I think it is
wrong for people to be richer than me, I think it is MEGAwrong to have to pay 47-8 percent
tax on ANYTHING! That is so wrong. Just cause it's a huge pile of money doesn't mean
there should be an equally huge pile of tax. 28 percent on that would be fair.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #16
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
They were forced by the new tax rules to cash in some stock based upon the vesting date. Unless you have the cash on hand, taxes are due on the stock value on the date they become fully vested. In some cases these guys may have millions of shares to pay taxes upon. In some ways they would have been better off to become fully vested at a lower price and then see the stock rise. Now they have a big problem it the stock falls as they paid taxes on the high.
That's a good point, but they also could've chose to sell only enough to pay the taxes.

As a shareholder that's been considering selling, this is a considerable nudge in that direction.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #17
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
That's a good point, but they also could've chose to sell only enough to pay the taxes.

As a shareholder that's been considering selling, this is a considerable nudge in that direction.
Maybe they need a little extra cigar money!
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #18
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I think it is MEGAwrong to have to pay 47-8 percent
tax on ANYTHING! That is so wrong. Just cause it's a huge pile of money doesn't mean
there should be an equally huge pile of tax. 28 percent on that would be fair.

Even 28% is too much. Should be around 15% would be fair.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #19
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Yeah but it's still multi millions they probably did not have prior.
yeah, but it's freaking half

congrats on your success, now give half of your success to the government

it would be no more or less atrocious if he made $100 and had to give 48 to taxes
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #20
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSmoker View Post
If I were the execs, I would also cash out now....and then I would take my money that I made and started playing puts on Apple for the months of May and June....no way is that stock going too maintain its value...
Probably not a bad idea... but I thought the same thing (about it not maintaining it's value) back when the stock hit 200 and sold half my position. Kind of wish I hadn't, but I had more than doubled up, so I didn't want to be greedy.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote