Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #21
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: I need help from my brothers in the south

I've never seen clear molasses. Lived here 50+ years! Kayo corn syrup is just that, corn syrup. Real molasses should come from sugar cane. What you want for the real stuff will not only say Blackstrap, but will also be "Unsulphured". That means it was made from the squeezings of mature sugar cane. Nun-mature cane is often used as an expedient, but is treated with sulpher dioxide to bring out more sugar. If it doesn't say "unsulphered", then it is treated, from young cane.

My guess at your boss' request for clear molasses would be lighter colored molasses from the first boil. That, I've never seen. But then again, I've never gone looking for light molasses. I've always used blackstrap. Doesn't mean light brown doesn't exist, just never noticed it!

Basicallt three grades of Molasses, based on how many times it is boiled for concentration. Blackstrap is the strongest, and is from the cane juice that has been reduced three times, and is thus the strongest and the darkest. Too much Blackstrap can actually be considered bitter by many, and I use it sparingly. You should be able to find any number of brands and grades of molasses in most Alabama supermarkets. Mom and Pop stores and country stores are probably more likely to have different brands than the big name brands sold by Wally-world. Publix will be an excellent choice. They tend to be higher priced, but because they are more premium brands, they will have a better selection.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #22
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

I was raised in Iowa, but I love grits. And molasses is good on biskets. I think I was born in the wrong area.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #23
catfish2

Thanks guys and gal for your help and input. I never heard of the lighter stuff myself. I guess if I can find time between trips to the catfish pond I'll just have to run to town to see what I can find. Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

They used to make sorghum syrup around where I grew up. From what I remember it was dark as hell, similar to blackstrap. Haven't had it in years but you would pretty much buy it at farmer's markets and fruit and vegetable stands and the like. Sand Mountain Sorghum, if I remember correctly, was the last one standing. Always came in a can.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote