Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about
Default I need Honeymoon Ideas

I need some help here guys. I got engaged a year ago and am getting married in September. Almost everything is done with the planning and has actually been very low stress. The only thing that we can’t decide is where to go on a honeymoon.

What we would like is a week or 10 day long vacation to relax and enjoy each other. Optional activates and tours are fine as long as there is ample amount of down time.

We both like the idea of an all inclusive resort, just for that fact that we don’t have to worry about money and expenses while we are there. However, Kathryn isn’t a fan of buffets and is pretty neutral about the beach. If we were to go, I would like to be able to venture off the property without having to worry about being robbed/kidnapped and all that other fun stuff.

We though about a wine tasting trip, but I think this would get to be a little redundant after a couple days.

I though about New York City, maybe see a show, go to some museums and go out to some great restaurants, since we both like to dine. I’ve only been to NYC once and that was on a tour trip in high school. I have no idea how to get around in a city like that.

We’ve ruled out a cruse.

Any Ideas?
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: I need Honeymoon Ideas

We like this place on Antiga. They have special cottages for people on honeymoons, or at least did last time we were there. The chef is very talented and whole place just oozes relaxation. Very private, you can't see any other resorts from it and lots of cool stuff to do on the island if you choose to leave the resort.

http://www.rexresorts.com/_caribbean...ach/index.html
Old 11-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Go to the Big Island in Hawaii. There is so much to do, from vegging out at the beach/hotel, horseback riding, coffee/beer tours, take a helicopter ride over an active volcanos, tropical forests, great food ect. Bad part is that you may have a hard time finding an all inclusive. I would stay away from the Caribbean islands in September, due to the high probability of hurricanes. If hurricanes don't scare you off, you'll get some of the best rates in September (due to the possibilities of hurricanes). New York is fun for a few days, but I wouldn't go for 2 weeks, plus that would be very very expensive!

P.s. You would get around the NYC by trains and cabs. You would not want to rent a car there.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Poconos In Pennsylvania is beautiful!!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Poconos In Pennsylvania is beautiful!!
If you did PA, you could go to NYC for a week too.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Random Guy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mike
Trading: (8)
Random Guy is on a distinguished road

My wife and I went on an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon. We booked it through Norwegian Cruise Line. Lots of stuff to do. Or just hang out on the ship, there's lots of stuff to do there or just relax on the deck. Buffets are there, but also some sit-down restaurants that you need to make reservations for. We had a great time! The scenery is beautiful! You don't have to worry about getting off the ship and doing stuff, its safe. If you don't do it for your honeymoon, i would suggest going sometime. I would go back tomorrow if I could!
Random Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

No cruise, no beach. My suggestion to you- since you're in Canton- would be to go to Ohio Amish Country. Great food, very idyllic, plenty to do or not do. An easy drive, won't cost an arm and a leg. Congratulations!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
tobii3

Very Simple.

Take separate ones.

That way you will ALWAYS have something to talk about.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
jdakine
Sawadee

First Name: Jay
Trading: (34)
Partagas
jdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura about

Well I think Maui is one of the best in the world for Honeymoon places. Great resorts, food and Maui has just enough activities to keep you busy, but not to busy.
Good luck with your plans
Old 11-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road

Tabacon in Costa Rica.

Natural hot springs waterfall at the base of an active volcano in the middle of NO place with a nice spa-ful resort attached.

It does NOT suck

http://www.tabacon.com/
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Maui!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
dogface_313

I just got back from my honeymoon it was great. If you are looking towards going to NYC I have a suggestion. My wife and I stayed at a place called The Castle on the Hudson ( http://www.castleonthehudson.com/ ). It was excellent, old world feel, amazing customer service, room and grounds were exceptionally maintained. The on site restaurant Equus is a 4 Diamond award winner every year. It is located in a town called Tarrytown which by car is 30 minutes north of the city. the town next to it called Irvington has a train station that goes directly to NYC with trains every 25-20 minutes. I considered myself lucky to have stayed there, it was an amazing experience. I have a ton of pictures of the place if you would like to see.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Sandals saint lucia!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
We like this place on Antiga. They have special cottages for people on honeymoons, or at least did last time we were there. The chef is very talented and whole place just oozes relaxation. Very private, you can't see any other resorts from it and lots of cool stuff to do on the island if you choose to leave the resort.

http://www.rexresorts.com/_caribbean...ach/index.html
Looks nice, but my wife would acuse me of going for the fishing
Old 11-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #15
1badhog07
Still Watching My Back

First Name: gustavo
Trading: (2)
HdM
1badhog07 is on a distinguished road

Took my wife too puerto rico,had a blast lots too do.the island is only about 90 miles long and about 23 miles wide.the food was great,so were the people,beaches,and the rain forest was awesome.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #16
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

OK without a beach need you ruled out most of my favorites but one option comes to mind since you mentioned wine. There are some Wine Train trips that are very romantic and really relaxing. Some of them are first class all the way too. Well worth consideration.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #17
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Check out Kauai.

We did a 2 week honeymoon there. Loved it. I can even refer you to a wonderfully inexpensive, but flat out fantastic bed and breakfast that will include practically any ammenity you could think of. Except obviously you'd have to take care of dinner and lunch. Kauai isn't terribly hot, and the sun comes in spurts, so it can be a gentle overcast and cool breeze one day, and warm and sunny the next.

Plenty of places to explore. Tons of hole in the wall places to eat that are fantastic, though not upscale, but definitely qualify as adventurous. Hardly at all touristy, and the locals are incredibly polite.

There are a number of activities on the island if you're into that sort of thing, but mostly just get out and about and see the scenery.

Feel free to PM me, I can give you any info you'd like about Kauai.

JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #18
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Brazil or Thailand. I was there last year. Not for a honeymoon, just vacationing with the guys, those places are unreal. Cheap food,drinks, and entertainment. What more can you ask for?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #19
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

I've been to two Sandal's resorts, Antigua (for my honeymoon) and St. Lucia. Both were all-inclusive and the food was surprisingly good. Since you're not big beach people, neither may be for you. And if I recall correctly, trips into town were pretty lengthy rides.

I also was married in September, and my honeymoon was interrupted by a hurricane (Hurricane Georges). Fortunately, we were able to get on a flight out before the storm hit the island. At the time (they still may) Sandals had Hurricane Insurance as part of their package. St. Lucia was our "replacement" vacation, even though our honeymoon was only shortened by one day. 13 days in the Caribbean for the price of seven was pretty cool! We met some people in St. Lucia that were there for their replacement vacation as well, but they didn't get off the island before the storm. Their experience was not as favorable.

I've visited the Poconos in PA a couple of times and each time am surprised how much I enjoy it. It may be that I live too close to appreciate it.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #20
cbsmokin
Looking for the Apex

First Name: Craig
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
cbsmokin will become famous soon enough

This would be unreal:

http://www.orient-express.com/collec...ins/trains.jsp

I'm afraid it has some pretty unreal price tags as well.

Check out C.A.R.B. IV http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...840#post879840
cbsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote