Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Legend

Default Man O' War rubusto

Another nicaraguan beauty made in don pepin's factory. As usual a flawless construction with a great draw and sturdy ash. Moderately oily wrapper. Starts very strong and spicy almost bitter but smooths out 3/4 of an inch in. Still very strong. It has a unique flavor that I can't quite place and not sure I like that much. About halfway through the nicotine buzz upset my stomach. My own fault for smoking to fast.

Can't rate this yet. Will try again and smoke slower.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Mr Edmundo
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (15)
Montecristo
Mr Edmundo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Man O' War rubusto

I find these good, especially with some age on them.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

I was just gifted one of these by -MG- and I can't wait to try it. Also, I believe this stick is actually rolled in Robania's factory.
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
duckmanco
Can't stop whats coming

Location: that forsaken stretch of wood they call Whiskey Grove
Trading: (10)
duckmanco is on a distinguished road

nope, not a Pepin Garcia smoke, nor a Robaina smoke, as he is one of Cuba's most revered tobacco grower. These are made by AJ Fernandez in Esteli, who supposedly grew up under the tutelage of Alejandro Robaina and has his own style of fermenting/curing. That factory is making some incredible cigars at ridiculous prices. Construction is as good as Pepin and his blending talents are equally as exciting IMO. Give these Man O' Wars another shot for sure.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
FriskyDingo
hoosierherfers.com

First Name: Evan
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
FriskyDingo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
nope, not a Pepin Garcia smoke, nor a Robaina smoke, as he is one of Cuba's most revered tobacco grower. These are made by AJ Fernandez in Esteli, who supposedly grew up under the tutelage of Alejandro Robaina and has his own style of fermenting/curing. That factory is making some incredible cigars at ridiculous prices. Construction is as good as Pepin and his blending talents are equally as exciting IMO. Give these Man O' Wars another shot for sure.
AJ makes some nice cigars. He's also the the guy behind the ITC 10th Anniversary and Padilla Habano and I'm sure some others. Definitely give this one another try Legend!

-= http://www.hoosierherfers.com =-
FriskyDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I have one of the torpedos I been meaning to smoke and still aint got around to it yet.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
nope, not a Pepin Garcia smoke, nor a Robaina smoke, as he is one of Cuba's most revered tobacco grower. These are made by AJ Fernandez in Esteli, who supposedly grew up under the tutelage of Alejandro Robaina and has his own style of fermenting/curing.
Correcto

Old 03-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Quote:
... That factory is making some incredible cigars at ridiculous prices.

Which others?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
Legend

Ok.

I've smoked a Churchill and a torpedo since. These 2 I've been able to finish and the flavor is the same on each vitola. Not exactly rare but unusual. Typically you'll get some difference. The flavor isn't exactly good. If I had to make a comparison that summed it up it would be like hot sauce or peppers. There are peppers that are hot and add flavor like poblanos or cerranos. And ones that just add heat but not necessarily good flavor. Habaneros. Tapatio sauce vs tobasco. The tobaccos chosen for the man o' war seem to have been chosen for strength and not flavor. I like strong cigars lie the LFD double liguero. And DPG Cuban classic. But not this one.

Its well made and if the flavor was good it would be a 3. But I have to give the man o' war as a line a 2 rating.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Legend

I have about 5 more in the various vitolas. I'll give them about 6 months to a year and try again.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #11
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

you don't get much from them but pepper? Are you sure you reviewed them with a clean palate? I get lots of flavors from the churchills that I have, lots of chocolate for example. I will review one soon.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #12
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
you don't get much from them but pepper? Are you sure you reviewed them with a clean palate? I get lots of flavors from the churchills that I have, lots of chocolate for example. I will review one soon.
I thought that might happen. The peppers are an analogy.

I get lots of different flavors. Just not very good.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
Waynegro1

Quote:

I picked up a bit of pepper on the 10 or so I've smoked, but mostly chocolate and general sweetness that I taste in many Nicaraguan tobaccos. I like them, but I wouldn't consider them spicy as in tobasco. Just my .
Old 03-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #14
Legend

Hmmmm.

I'm being unclear.

The pepper analogy was to demonstrate how the cigar was strong just for the sake of being strong. Not that it was peppery. Many peppers are hot but add only spicyness and not good flavor. The man o' war similarly is strong and has tobaccos chosen for the purpose of adding strength and not necessarily good flavor.

That was my point.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:04 AM   #15
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

if that is your point, I still disagree with you. I get lots of good flavor, and not an overwhelming power
Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #16
Legend

Quote:
if that is your point, I still disagree with you. I get lots of good flavor, and not an overwhelming power
That's why they make a few thousand different cigars.

Each to his own tastes.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #17
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Agree to disagree. Some people can pick out certain flavors that others can't, does that make someone right and the other person wrong? No. Working at a B&M I suggest a lot of cigars to a lot of people. Some of the regulars around the shop I've gotten to know what they like and don't like. They come to me asking for mild/medium/full or with certain flavors. 95% of the time I can nail it on the head, and they are excited about it. Every now and then my pick doesn't always pop for them, or they don't get the same flavors that I can pick up from a certain cigar.

just my
Old 03-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #18
duckmanco
Can't stop whats coming

Location: that forsaken stretch of wood they call Whiskey Grove
duckmanco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Man O' War robusto

as for the other smokes Aj Fernandez is making:

La Herencia Cubana - Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapped Nica filler and binder goodness on the cheap

Padilla Habano - need I say anything?

Sol cubano Cuban Cabinet - Ecuuadorian Habano wrapped (I believe) Nica and Honduran filled white pepper spice/sweet earthy unique goodness there.

The best part about his smokes, other than the flavor, is the construction. Flavor, draw, fill, and burn have been exemplary across the board for me so far with all the brands mentioned above.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #19
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbailey View Post
Agree to disagree.
I believe that is what I did.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #20
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

saw a special on these and reallythink I am going to bite. Been debating on these. Seeing as how the padilla habano is one of my favortie NC go to sticks this is probablly a good idea.

As they are the same price based on the deals I know of would you guys go Padilla Habano or the M o W.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote