Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default small lawn tractor/mower recommendations?

My pusher died last fall at the end of the season, and quite frankly, even though I don't have a large lawn, it's time for a rider. What are the brands I should look for in the smaller tractors? I don't have a very difficult lot, mostly flattish, and less than an acre. Are the Briggs engines still something to stay away from with the valve problems after a few years? Considering most of the mowers I have seen in the lower end of the spectrum (price wise) seem to use B&S engines, is it a losing battle unless you want to spent 1500+?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: small lawn tractor/mower recommendations?

I have this one and it serves me great for my 7/8 acre land.
colinb913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

What price range are you looking at?

Do you want zero turn capabilities?

Do you want a rider as in sit down, or will a velky work?

Will you maintenance them yourself or have a shop do it?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

You could try one of these.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
You could try one of these.

Looks delicious.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Have you considered maybe a 48" walk behind? I picked up one locally with a velke for $1k used.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

If I was buying new, I'd get a Deere at Lowe's. Plenty good enough for the little I need to do. My last Deere has lasted me about 15 years, and it was just a lawn tractor, too. It cut 5 acres of grass for lots of years.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
If I was buying new, I'd get a Deere at Lowe's. Plenty good enough for the little I need to do. My last Deere has lasted me about 15 years, and it was just a lawn tractor, too. It cut 5 acres of grass for lots of years.
I have a 1978 model Deere still running and even better I can still get parts for it with not problem. Nothing Runs Like a Deere!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

I don't own a riding mower - but if I did it would have to be one of these. My boss owns the first one pictured and I have ridden it several times. It scoots along really good and is the zero turn radius.

This one isn't a zero turn - but it is a 4 inch turn. Has the steering wheel which may be easier for some verses the stick steering of the first one.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

I would love to spend 2-3K on a mower, but neither my lot or my wallet will justify a zero turn machine. The budget is about a grand, I think. The choices in that range are pretty slim, unfortunately. Lowes carries a Troy built Pony with a 17.5 hp motor that is about what I am looking for.
http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...8178&buyhide=1
Something of that nature probably won't have a perfect turning radius, or be the best for towing attachments and such, but more in the ballpark of where I need to be.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I would love to spend 2-3K on a mower, but neither my lot or my wallet will justify a zero turn machine. The budget is about a grand, I think. The choices in that range are pretty slim, unfortunately. Lowes carries a Troy built Pony with a 17.5 hp motor that is about what I am looking for.
http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...8178&buyhide=1
Something of that nature probably won't have a perfect turning radius, or be the best for towing attachments and such, but more in the ballpark of where I need to be.
True. Cost is one reason why I don't have one yet. We don't have a big lot but it is on a hill and the backyard is getting to be more of a pain as we get older. Have to get something in a few years though. It wears me out watching my wife cut the backyard with that push mower.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

I would try Craigslist. There are usually a good number of people who tried landscaping to make some extra cash and are now trying to get out of the business. I have seen some really good deals.

I have had great results with Toro, Craftsman, Dixie chopper and Snapper. I personally would try and pick up a 36" Toro or Snapper walk-behind with a velke or sulky on craigslist. Dixie Chopper's might be out of your price range and usually people who own them, don't get rid of them. Craftsman has always done me well.

A note about John Deere, while great machines, they are usually more costly to repair. YMMV, but if you plan to do maintenance or repair yourself it can play into overall costs.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Something else to try out is lawnsite.com. They have a marketplace forum of sorts. That's where I picked up the 48" walk behind that will be delivered on Monday for $1k w/ a velke.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #14
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post

A note about John Deere, while great machines, they are usually more costly to repair. YMMV, but if you plan to do maintenance or repair yourself it can play into overall costs.
One other thing-the John Deere tractors you see at Home Depot (and for the most part, even at JD dealerships) is that they don't make them like they used to. I grew up mowing with a JD 318 and loved it. It was a HEAVY garden tractor, which I think was somewhere around 900 lbs give or take. Try finding an actual garden tractor like that nowadays period, let alone in a low price point. What you'll most likely end up with is MTD/Cub Cadet type of stuff with green paint on it.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Trading: (3)
Zoomschwortz is on a distinguished road

I have a 1969 John Deere that has a small mower deck so I just use it for rototilling and I use and 8 year old Craftsman for my mowing.

Nice thing about the Deere is after 41 years it still runs great and you can still buy parts for it.
Zoomschwortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #16
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

This one's pretty spiffy.

Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:40 AM   #17
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Something else to try out is lawnsite.com. They have a marketplace forum of sorts. That's where I picked up the 48" walk behind that will be delivered on Monday for $1k w/ a velke.
After being in the business for a long time I would recommend this option. IMO a walk behind will offer a superior cut and they are fun to ride. This is what I would do.
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #18
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

A tough as nails mower.
Simple, inexpensive, did I mention tuff...My brother and I tried to shred one of these when growing up but never could kill it..

Last edited by JaKaacH; 03-24-2010 at 05:53 AM.
JaKaacH is offline   Reply With Quote