Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about
Default The word HERF

I was curious about this so I did a little research and this is the best explanation I found. Can anyone confirm this, or have you heard different explanations?

1)The term is a derivitive of several languages. To better understand the true meaning of the word one must realize that language is a changing thing; it moves about with various social structures, from land to land.

The Greek derivation is "erphos" from "eos", meaning 'skin'. This is further by a review of the Greek words "Terphos" and Sterphos." This is actually only the begining of the common, or present usage of the term.

An example of the way language travels, and is bastardized, is to be seen in the American Indian Language of Taino. In this language the use of the word "Hura" means wind. The proper pronunciation if akin to "Herf", actually *hurrof*.

Now, when you review the Greek's meanderings throughout the Ancient World, you will understand that they travelled to the British Isles. Any stury can tell you this. The Welsh word we would look to is "Herfeiddio", a verb which means to dare, to be brave, and to defy.

Further North and a bit Eastward we must review the Dutch word "Herfst" and the Anglo-Saxon derivitive "Haerfest". These words refer to the mnal season, or the end of summer.

The end of summer is when they harvested the tobacco leaves. See also, the Greek word "Apora", meaning 'end-of-summer'.

Brave souls (Herfeiddiols), would take the freshly harvestd leaves (Erphos=skin=tobacco leaves), at the harvest (Herfst/Haerfest), and smoke them. Somehow the word found it's way into America, pre-Columbus.

The Taino people, simple and naive as they were, took all the above meanings and rolled them into one, thus "Hura" meaning 'wind'.review of the lore of the Taino finds this word used as both a verb and a noun. As a noun it has the simple meaning of "wind", as we use it, today. As a verb, however, it means:"he-who-harvests-the-thin-tobacco-leaves-of-harvest-time-and-smokes- it."

Interesting stuff!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The word HERF

Thanks for the info. James
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
BC-Axeman

It's actually a contraction of "here for", as in "We're her'f smokin'."
Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
FriskyDingo
hoosierherfers.com

First Name: Evan
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
FriskyDingo is on a distinguished road

Here is a popular origin of the word HERF:

"Herf” was first used by “Prince of Skeeves” on the newsgroup alt.smokers.cigars on November 21, 1996. On November 23rd, “Prince of Skeeves” explained: “To `herf’ is to draw on a cigar. It’s less vulgar than ‘suck’ and not as misleading as ‘toke’.”

On July 11, 1997, “Prince of Skeeves” further explained: “The first time I heard the word ‘herf’ and recognized it’s potential for the enrichment of my vocabulary was in junior college in Clyde, Texas in 1982 from a blueblood derelict friend of my named Stu. In the context of the time it was used to describe the ungainly and humorous facial contortion required to deeply draw on a large, hand- rolled cigarette of unknown filling while driving a motor vehicle and keeping an eye peeled for the Callahan County sheriff. Later I found the term ‘herf’ described nicely the method for getting a good mouthful of tasty smoke from my favorite cigars.”

A “herf” has also come to mean a “lively gathering of cigar-smoking comrades.” A “Herf-on-the Lake” was held April 26, 1997 at Jones Park on Lake Travis in Jonestown

Whether or not any of these definitions we find are true I do know the one below is DEFINITELY not the truth!

The term "Herf" used to describe the smoking of a cigar comes from the 1960's in America when many cigar smokers listened to Herf Alpert and the Tijuana Brass while smoking their favorite stogie. The music was latinesque and thus provided an atmosphere of semi-cuban reminiscence. Soon, cigar smokers began to say things like "I was with the Brass last night and the Herf was so good I thought I was in Havana." Thus, we can all thank Herf Alpert for his influence on 'garbonics.

I wonder if that's Herb's brother?

-= http://www.hoosierherfers.com =-
FriskyDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Here is a popular origin of the word HERF:

"Herf” was first used by “Prince of Skeeves” on the newsgroup alt.smokers.cigars on November 21, 1996. On November 23rd, “Prince of Skeeves” explained: “To `herf’ is to draw on a cigar. It’s less vulgar than ‘suck’ and not as misleading as ‘toke’.”

On July 11, 1997, “Prince of Skeeves” further explained: “The first time I heard the word ‘herf’ and recognized it’s potential for the enrichment of my vocabulary was in junior college in Clyde, Texas in 1982 from a blueblood derelict friend of my named Stu. In the context of the time it was used to describe the ungainly and humorous facial contortion required to deeply draw on a large, hand- rolled cigarette of unknown filling while driving a motor vehicle and keeping an eye peeled for the Callahan County sheriff. Later I found the term ‘herf’ described nicely the method for getting a good mouthful of tasty smoke from my favorite cigars.”

A “herf” has also come to mean a “lively gathering of cigar-smoking comrades.” A “Herf-on-the Lake” was held April 26, 1997 at Jones Park on Lake Travis in Jonestown

Whether or not any of these definitions we find are true I do know the one below is DEFINITELY not the truth!

The term "Herf" used to describe the smoking of a cigar comes from the 1960's in America when many cigar smokers listened to Herf Alpert and the Tijuana Brass while smoking their favorite stogie. The music was latinesque and thus provided an atmosphere of semi-cuban reminiscence. Soon, cigar smokers began to say things like "I was with the Brass last night and the Herf was so good I thought I was in Havana." Thus, we can all thank Herf Alpert for his influence on 'garbonics.

I wonder if that's Herb's brother?
I saw that one too! Too damn funny!
Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 AM   #6
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation

I never thought about trying to pin point the orgin of the word. All that matters to me is that the herf happens and it is with good people.
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:54 AM   #7
Java

Never cared for the term myself. Just one more way to be ostracized by non-cigar smokers when trying to communicate what you do.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
Hardcz

A herf is a herf, it's a word passed down through the ages. It was here before me and will be here after. All hail the FOGS!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
A herf is a herf, it's a word passed down through the ages. It was here before me and will be here after. All hail the FOGS!
Yeah I guess it is just the history buff coming out in me! Lots of things were here before me and I like to learn about as many of them as I can...especially things I am really interested in.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reseach James.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner View Post
Yeah I guess it is just the history buff coming out in me! Lots of things were here before me and I like to learn about as many of them as I can...especially things I am really interested in.

That's cool, I'm a history buff myself, only problem is I don't know much about history.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

That is very interesting. I never thought much about the word HERF, but thanks for doing the research. Maybe I can explaing what herf means to my wife now.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

It originated from ASC from what I have always heard.

Reference: http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg03631.html

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching

Last edited by poker; 04-02-2009 at 10:14 AM.
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Hummm... Very interesting. Thanks for the work.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

fumada
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #16
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
fumada

As for the word HERF, all I know is DBall hates it and that's reason enough to use it.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
shortstory5

Nice thread. I was actually wondering this myself. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #18
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr Mike View Post
herf happens

I think I want to steal this for my signature line.

Matt
Old 04-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #19
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation

Matt, its all yours.

Just like S.H.I.T. it happens every Thursday.

Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #20
Buckeye Jack
Havana Daydreamin'

First Name: Jack
Trading: (34)
HUpmann
Buckeye Jack has a spectacular aura aboutBuckeye Jack has a spectacular aura about

Yep, ASC. When I started patrolling ASC in 1997 it was already being used. I always thought Steve Saka started though.
Buckeye Jack is offline   Reply With Quote