Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

I'm roughly a month into pipe smoking and really digging it so far. I thank all you old farts for the kind advice.

I have quite a few open tins that I have sampled.

C&D Crosseyed cricket
Dunhill Flake
Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture
Squadron Leader
Three Nuns (current)
Escudo
Home and Hearth Burley Kake

Here are my takes and ranking so far:

7. Crosseyed Cricket - Aromatic- Sweet and smokey. Tough to get my arms around this one. Had quite a few bowls to start, but haven't found my way back recently... Not bad, just different.

6. H&H Burley Kake - mild aromatic - Not as smokey as sweet. I can see the nutty characteristics associated with burley here. Nice room note for the non-smoker. Very cool smoking and easy. Nice and relaxing, but lacking in flavors and engagement for me.

5. Dunhill Flake - Straight Virginia - I call this the champagne of pipe tobacco. Not strong, not spicy. I've folded and stuffed: I've cube cut and rubbed it out. A full bowl lasts two hours. I'm tired of this one half way through. Light, and savory. I don't get the sweet out of this that others do. Not bad, but not very engaging. I think I may rub this out with some burley kake to see what happens...

4. Squadron Leader - English/oriental Mixture - moderate strength, mild to moderate smokey flavors. The tin note is more smokey and scotch-ey than the smoke. Very nice tobacco. Perhaps not my cup-o-tea. Love the icky sticky consistency of this one out of the tin. Very appealing!! Not giving up on this one by any means, just more wild about the next three right now.

3. Escudo - VAPER - Very nice coin cut tobacco. One coin quitar pick folded into my small Kaywoodie is perfect. One hour of bliss. Slow smoking and cool. I find myself tamping the edges into the fire. I've not had as much luck rubbing it out. I figure it's coin cut for a reason. Not spicy or confrontational at all. Very smooth and strong in a backhanded kind of way. I can see many layers in this smoke. It seems to hit it's stride right before it clogs up my stinger with dottle.

2. Elizabethan Mixture - VAPER - this was tops in my book for a while. Spicy, smooth, sweet, and thick smoke. What more can be said about this one? I could be a very happy man smoking nothing but this. I love it.

1. Three Nuns - Virginia, Kentucky - Curly cut - spun There seems to be some controversy surrounding this one. I never had the pleasure of smoking the VAPER blend, so I can't compare the two. The original must have been bliss if this is a mere shadow as some allege. This is perfect in my opinion. The tin smells like sweet horse feed. Heavy molasses scents and flavors. Smokes cool with no bite. I was worried since this is a Mac Baren blend and others are concerned with the McB bite. The small coins stack and fold nicely in my pipes. I seem to tamp and push this one together quite a bit, but the sweet; humid, cool smoke is it's own reward. I don't have to tamp and relight as much as Dunhill flake, but it's almost as annoying. The flavors on re-lighting are superb. Thick; smooth, tongue coating, nutty sweetness. Bliss.

Again, thanks for the pushes in the right direction. I can't wait to try more blends.

Next on my list is Hal O the Wynd, or Dunbar if I can find it locally.

Cheers!