Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 07-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Cognac storage question.

So, a local mom and pop liquor stor is closing it's doors September 4th. Right now they have all liquor marked down 25%. So I figured what better time to restock the bar? I've already paid them one visit and purchased:

1.75L Smirnoff
1L Jameson
1L Captain Morgan
1L Cuervo 1800
750mL Appleton Estate rum.

All that booze was about $80

What I'm wondering is there are some rather dusty bottles of Remy Martin Grand Cru (clear bottle) that have been up on the top shelf for years I'm guessing. The temperature in that store has always been on the warm side. Think it would be okay to purchase a bottle? The sale price of $24.xx is kind of hard to ignore.
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

First Name: Joe
Trading: (9)
Trinidad
the MacDonald will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cognac storage question.

Cognac doesn't change in the bottle, and is nearly indestructable, heat, cold, anything short of smashing the bottle will not effect it. I'd buy it in a heartbeat, whether you open it tomarrow or save it for years it's a good find.
the MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Just the info I needed. Thanks Joe!
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Jamesons alway's good cheap whiskey. Cuervo 1800....aren't those 2 different bottles?
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Nice buy! Buy it all!!!
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Clean 'em out!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

The heat can damage any alcohol and when booze is stored up high & inside, the winter is the worst time of the year. The heat is on and heat rises.

What I think you'll find in that bottle is the aromatics are deteriorated due to time in bottle and heat. Although cognac does not “go bad”, there is a difference between fresh bottled cognac and cognac in the bottle for extended amounts of time.

All that being said, $25 for that XO is not a bad price. XO’s minimum age is just 6 years and the premier brands of cognac start at least at XO levels but do not market anything as XO as they are all beyond that. Think of what a 6 year old rum would go for? Not that much.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:52 AM   #8
Mad Max

I keep a cloth hood over my bottles if XIII & Richard Hennessy to keep any light off the bottle.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:17 AM   #9
Barcode
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tom
Trading: (16)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
Barcode will become famous soon enough

Was the bottle stored upright or on its side? If it was stored upright the cork could dry out and crumble when you remove it, if it was stored on its side the booze keeps it moist and it should be fine.
Barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

I've heard that storing cognac on it's side is bad, since the cork would adversely affect the flavour of the cognac.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
I've heard that storing cognac on it's side is bad, since the cork would adversely affect the flavour of the cognac.
I have heard that too. Just like beer and Madeira is stored upright.

I would shy away from gasing the bottle either. Long term gasing effects the aromatic (from what I have been told). I have noticed this some on dry wines, but the extended keep time may be worth a less vibrant and fresh wine.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcode View Post
Was the bottle stored upright or on its side? If it was stored upright the cork could dry out and crumble when you remove it, if it was stored on its side the booze keeps it moist and it should be fine.
For the most part, corks used in alcohol bottles are re-manufactured compounds and do not require as much moisture to keep shape, actually no moisture is fine. I have yet to see any alcohol bottle to be stored on its side, new or old. Walk into any serious retail shop and check how their old bottles of Armagnac are stored or old Scotch for that matter.

Wine is a whole different ball game, of course. Champagne MUST be stored up right, its imperative. Natural corks on their side, any other enclosure is fine any which way.

Exposure to sun/heat is a serious problem, of course, with sun being a bigger problem.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Champagne MUST be stored up right, its imperative.
Why is that. I thought it was store on its side. Not saying you are wrong, but this is new to me. Does it become rancid easy? I have seen plenty of old Champagne bottles that I was told "will kill you" if drank. Many were heavy hitters too. Such a shame.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #14
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Why is that. I thought it was store on its side. Not saying you are wrong, but this is new to me. Does it become rancid easy? I have seen plenty of old Champagne bottles that I was told "will kill you" if drank. Many were heavy hitters too. Such a shame.
Oxidation. I lost a great bottle of Salon that way.

Just one of the sources: http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article...tml?artid=1368

I can attest myself that storing a bottle on its side even for relatively short period of time (in Champagne terms, that is) of, say, 5-6 years, will lead to oxidation. Been storing them upright since.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Oxidation. I lost a great bottle of Salon that way.

Just one of the sources: http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article...tml?artid=1368
Good article. Is that why the case of Champagne I have in my cellar is shipped upright? Going to turn the case as soon as I finishe typing this!

55 degrees constant is hard to achieve outside of a pro-cellar or unique deep basement.

Personally, I like a touch of oxidation to wine, but one that has happened gently over decades, or a Champagne made with old stocks.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #16
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Moses, oxidation in Porto is not the same thing as in Champagne, I don't think you'll like it in Champs. Temps wise, I think it is a but extreme to keep it at 55F, I wouldn't deliberately keep it at higher temps, but 60-62F and under is fine, IMO.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:09 AM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Moses, oxidation in Porto is not the same thing as in Champagne, I don't think you'll like it in Champs. Temps wise, I think it is a but extreme to keep it at 55F, I wouldn't deliberately keep it at higher temps, but 60-62F and under is fine, IMO.
Old Champagne takes on a character that may not appeal to everyone. I love it when the color deepens and gets a pronounced parmaesan kind of taste.