Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2009, 04:23 AM   #21
SmokinDuck
Nuts I tell ya.

Trading: (1)
SmokinDuck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Laptop Advice

I wouldn't compromise and get something small that you can really only use for internet, email and taking notes.

What will happen is that after you get what you think will work just fine for internet, email and notes, 6 months later you will wish it had the ability to do more and end up selling it and upgrading to a more robust laptop.

You should be able to find a mid-grade laptop that will do what you need it to do and then some for around 300 - 400 bucks.
SmokinDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #22
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation

If we talk cheap we talk that you'll probably be pissed at it,I was thinking of doing the same thing and did not do it. If you take the amount of time you spend on the computer and divide it by the amount of days you use it it comes out to be say 2 bucks a day for 730 bucks in one year, that's one less coffee a day and a lap top that will be fast and the better unit will do what you want it to do. Mine travel with me and are a part of business as well as fun .
Old 02-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #23
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

You want to cruise these sites:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/laptop/
http://www.slickdeals.net/

You should be able to get a dual core regular sized laptop for 300-350. Better laptops like lenovo would cost more, in the 550 range. Buying one you can modify might be a good way to get a draft N wireless card, which combined with an N router should give you more range than the b/g hardware.

I'd also advise against the small netbooks unless you have actually tried one and understand/can live with their size limitations. I have one (lenovo S10) that I really like, but they're not for everyone.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:12 AM   #24
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

After owning just about every laptop on the market, I have come to the conclusion that my hands down favorite are the Thinkpads by Lenovo. The keyboard feels "right" and the things are sturdy as heck. Every other latptop feels like a toy to me by comparison. Not sure how cheap you can get them, but I think they're worth looking into.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #25
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
Dell makes some good laptops....can get the very basic one that will work for cruising around the internet.

You would need to get a wireless router that is strong enough to reach where the workshop is. You can still keep you desktop plugged into the modem with an ethernet cord AND have the wireless router for wi-fi
Old 02-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #26
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
Dell makes some good laptops....can get the very basic one that will work for cruising around the internet
I will never buy Dell again. Had the most difficult time getting my laptop fixed. Had to go through 2 both of which had the same problem before they finally agreed to give me my money back. I have an HP and love it.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #27
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stog-a-Boy View Post
Ive got the 10" EEE PC. I take it to class with me, but it is VERY small. Its annoying at times. My next computer will be a 13.3". Perfect size.
I agree that it is small, I personally have a 13.3" macbook and it is perfect, I used to have a 15.4" toshiba and it seems too big when i use it after using the macbook for a while.
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #28
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Laptop Advice

Well, I'm sitting in my mini-mancave, using a MSI Wind Netbook. It only has a 10" screen, but it's great for my purposes of surfing the internet, email and light wordprocessing and such.

I already have 2 other laptops, a Toshiba and a Dell, both with the extra wide screens and all the bells and whistles. The problem is that they both weigh 6 or 7 pounds. My netbook weighs about 3 lbs total. It doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, but it has a built-in webcam, a keyboard that's 95% of a full-size keyboard, and it's perfect for what I want to schlep in and out of the house.

I did purchase a second power supply that I leave out in the MMC, and the WiFi works great out here. This one ran around $400 from BestBuy online, and I'm perfectly happy with it. I know you can find them cheaper if you look around. I also bought a wireless logitech mouse, mainly cuz I hate the built in touchpads that most laptops have.

Anyways, that my ........

Old 02-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #29
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough

Currently typing this on my new ASUS EEEPC Netbook. I love it and it fits my needs perfectly. Thanks Ahbroody for all the help Bud.
BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #30
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road

Netbooks are great. I recently bought an Acer Aspire One strictly for coffee/book shop use. It's small enough to carry it on my bike (bicycle). The 6-cell battery gives me plenty of wi-fi time, 5 hours+ per charge.
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #31
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
Netbooks are great. I recently bought an Acer Aspire One strictly for coffee/book shop use. It's small enough to carry it on my bike (bicycle). The 6-cell battery gives me plenty of wi-fi time, 5 hours+ per charge.
That's the one I was looking at. The fan creates too much of a vibration for me though. Great price though
Old 02-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #32
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam View Post
That's the one I was looking at. The fan creates too much of a vibration for me though. Great price though
I've read about the fan noise issue on some of the reviews but I don't have that problem with mine. It's quiet as my other full sized laptops I own.
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #33
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
I've read about the fan noise issue on some of the reviews but I don't have that problem with mine. It's quiet as my other full sized laptops I own.
It wasn't the noise that got me, it was the vibration. Maybe it was just the one that I was trying at but while I was using it my hand was almost going numb from it.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #34
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Take the least expensive XP Laptop you can get 4 GB RAM into.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #35
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Take the least expensive XP Laptop you can get 4 GB RAM into.
Thanks.

I plan on getting a reall good laptop to replace my desktop in a couple years once my office gets turned into one of my daughter's bedrooms. But for now the Netbook is perfect