Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2009, 05:22 AM   #1
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough
Default What Your Job Benefits Are Really Worth

What's in a wage? Most of us think of a simple base rate of pay, but if we call it by another name -- like, total compensation package -- this topic gets a whole lot sweeter, and you're probably earning more than you think.
Of course, base pay will make up a large part of your total compensation, but don't stop there. If you're a full-time employee, your company is quite possibly paying 30 percent more money than you see on your pay stub, according to the averages found by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. If you're a freelancer on the other hand, you might be able to raise your rates and still be cost-effective compared to a full-time employee.

So what is included in a total compensation package? Obviously this varies from company to company, so it's worth your time to look closely at everything you're offered, from a quality health insurance plan to seemingly small perks like free lunches. Furthermore, if taken advantage of, benefits can do a lot to help you create a golden nest egg for you and your family a few years down the road.

The latest information on the costs for employee compensation comes from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and is evaluated based on numbers gathered through September 2008 when the average wage across all industries and seniority levels was just over $20/hour (approximately $42,000/year). Below is a list of common benefits and how they much can add to your salary:

Health Insurance Benefits, + 11%
It's no secret what an asset health benefits are, both financially and for your general well-being. Even if you have to share costs and pay deductibles, your employer is essentially paying you in insurance premiums, not to mention probably offering you a better plan than you could afford on your own. This benefit can be worth $5,000-6,000 a year if you're older or you have a pre-existing condition.

Social Security, Medicare and Other Insurances, + 8%
Unemployment insurance, workers' comp, Social Security and Medicare -- these benefits may not sound too sexy, and you may wrinkle your nose at that 7.65 percent deduction on your pay stub. But don't forget that for every cent you pay, your employer matches it. That means if you're earning $42,000 annually, your employer is paying an extra $3,200 a year on your behalf. Granted, there is a lot of uncertainty about the future of these programs -- but at the very least, they're helping to take care of your parents so you don't have to.

Retirement Plan, + 6%
In addition to paying Social Security, retirement benefits vary widely from employer to employer. Most companies will offer you an investment plan (401k) and many will offer to match your contributions at a defined rate -- translation: pay raise. Beyond that, your contributions are taken out of pre-tax income, so you'll be paying less to the government. If you manage to lower your tax bracket, you might even end up taking home more disposable income while you're saving for your retirement.

Vacation, Sick Leave, Personal Time, + 7%
Never underestimate the value of free time paid equally to hours spent in a board meeting, and don't forget that not all employers offer it. Even if you get just two weeks of vacation a year, that's 4 percent of your salary that's being earned while you sip soda on the beach. When you factor in sick leave, personal time and holidays, you might be tacking on another couple of weeks, or 3-4 percent, that would otherwise come out of your pocket. And if you rather have it in cold, hard cash, you can often have it paid out while you keep working (and earning).

Other Less Common Benefits, + 1-10%
Certain companies may offer you extra benefits that -- if you're lucky enough to get them -- can really boost your total compensation. Some are large, some are small, but they can all add up to quite a lot over the course of a year.

* Stock Options
If your employer offers stock at a discounted price, you reap rewards automatically from the higher rate of return. The Bureau of Labor Statistics is just beginning to assess the percentage this adds to total compensation, but depending on your company's program and depending on the markets, it could add 5-10% to your salary.

* Company Cars
Company cars are more commonly offered in sales and service industries, but if your company offers you this asset, that could equate to a 10% increase on your yearly salary -- especially if you get to use the car for nights, weekends and family trips.

* Gym Memberships
Offering a membership to a gym helps a business by keeping its employees healthy, which hopefuly lowers their medical costs. Either way, if you'd normally spend $40/month on a membership, this bumps your salary by $480 a year.

* Lunch, Coffee, Snacks
If your company provides snacks, teas and coffee, or even lunch, it could be worth $5-10 per day. Taking advantage of it might save you $2,600 over the year.

* Bus Passes
Some employers will encourage public transportation and offer you a transit or bus pass. This may be saving you $50/month ($600/year) or more depending on where you live. And that doesn't include what you'll save in gas and car maintenance costs by giving your vehicle a rest.

by Siri Anderson, PayScale.com
Old 03-03-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
tobii3

Default Re: What Your Job Benefits Are Really Worth

I work for the US Army - could you explain the compensation package again, please??

Old 03-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Cyanide

If your army is like my army then you probably get nearly 100% your income given back to you in various benefits, only to have 150% of them raked away from you when the war effort gets too expensive.

At some point you listen to 45% more BS than is worth it for the money. You are promised the number one retirement packages only to have the VA inform you that you are entitled to 0% of it.

Or am I just recovering from Monday?

Cheers

Cy
Old 03-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

You forgot to mention the benefit of a computer to stay up on posting on CA all day!!!

BTW - Good Thread!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

Partagas

The VA is a lot like an HMO (acronym for Hey Moe!)
Old 03-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Cigary

My company before I retired as Plant Manager would give us an annual summary that included our benefit package costs. When I looked at it I thought no way in hell could I afford my benefits one way or another,,,it actually was 35% of my base wage as you pointed out. I thought at one point I was being underpaid ( and I was ) but when you factor the benefits for health it was a real jolt. When I retired I still don't have to pay for health benefits and that is a fast dying benefit let me tell you. I feel horrible for others following me who won't get these benefits much less after retirement.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
Cyanide

On the flip side, do you find these benefit packages to be entrapping? I mean, its money you will never see, but the fear of needing it keeps you stuck in jobs you might have otherwise left long ago?

I always wonder if that is occuring or not. Here in Canada, the benefits packages just don't seem to factor into the collective conscience so much, and that might be because of our universal health care and pension program. But, then again maybe not. I certainly don't want to spark off a "our health care system is better than your health care system" debate (even though its true )

Cheers

Cy
Old 03-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
you may wrinkle your nose at that 7.65 percent deduction on your pay stub. But don't forget that for every cent you pay, your employer matches it. That means if you're earning $42,000 annually, your employer is paying an extra $3,200 a year on your behalf. Granted, there is a lot of uncertainty about the future of these programs -- but at the very least, they're helping to take care of your parents so you don't have to.
My parents are dead. I'm taking care of somebody else's parents ... oh joy.

I feel ill when I look at the ridiculous deductions. Why should I pay for medicine for others? I pay for my own.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post
On the flip side, do you find these benefit packages to be entrapping? I mean, its money you will never see, but the fear of needing it keeps you stuck in jobs you might have otherwise left long ago?

I always wonder if that is occuring or not. Here in Canada, the benefits packages just don't seem to factor into the collective conscience so much, and that might be because of our universal health care and pension program. But, then again maybe not. I certainly don't want to spark off a "our health care system is better than your health care system" debate (even though its true )

Cheers

Cy
Good question as here in the States we don't have Universal healthcare and we have to really be studious when it comes to what we want,,how much we need. In a perfect world we'd like to forgo health insurance altogether and have something that kicks in when the unforeseen happens. In the states we are also able to obtain extra insurance in the event we become disabled from illness or injury at a rate I paid myself for 1% of my monthly income,,pennies for great protection. I paid for that and it's a good thing I did because I became disabled from an illness in my 25th year of working for my company. This allowed me to retire with 80% of what I was making and then with my additional retirements from my union and company I was up to 110% of my pay,,,the best part is that I paid for my insurance myself which made it non taxable. One thing you can't do is play poker with your health care,,you just never know what life is going to throw at you.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

I know just in healthcare for my wife and two kids (my co. pays for mine) it costs $908 per month. It's crazy.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #11
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post

Cy
I understand what you are saying about $ that is never seen, but what is the difference if they put it in your pay and then you turn around and pay for your benefits? No difference in my mind. As long as your employer has integrity and you can trust them to make the payments, I prefer it that way. I don't think it's a trap, and there is no question that you need it. The only thing that keeps you at a job is you.

If you do what you love, you will never have to work a day in your life...
Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #12
TravelingJ

This is a very good thread indeed. I wish my company would send out a memo that reminded people of this.

They fought our health care for YEARS to keep our prices from going up. Most of us have gas cards, live on the per diem, company provided cars, laptop, cell phone, work polo shirts, etc. I get through the year with an average of 2 months time off. They have the MOST flexible 'time off' policy I've ever seen.

We are (typically) quick to judge the shortcomings of our employers, but very slow to realize what they ARE doing for us. Don't forget they are an EMPLOYER that exists to make money, they can't just give it all to you-but they usually give you something.