Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 04-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Hawkshead Bitter

Last night I went over someone’s house that had a keg of Hawkshead Bitter that was not meant for export. This is a real British pub beer with 3.7% alcohol and from a hand pump system in his bar. This keg was a gift for some technical assistance he lent at a beer show in Cambridge.

This cask ale is a pale, hoppy and bitter ale: a slight elderflower aroma from Slovenian "Celeia" hops, followed by long bitterness. A great session bitter. *CAMRA Champion Bitter of Cumbria 2009*

I can’t understand why Americans aren’t drinking like this? Flavorful, never filling, doesn’t get you trashed (that is the reason), and can be enjoyed at near room temperature.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:08 AM   #2
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hawkshead Bitter

That's a neat gift your friend received. I agree, it would be nice to have true session beers (British definition) more widely available here in the USA. Our beers are excellent, but on the whole are higher in abv and gravity.
Posted via Mobile Device
BlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

I tried some "Yards Brawler" that fits that low ABV . Pretty decent stuff and I did put quite a few away . That Pub ale sounds great . Moses always seems to find the great stuff to drink .
Old 04-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Session beers seem like them one area in the American beer market that has not been "tapped". I'd think it would make sense to offer something that appeals to beer snobs, but drinks like a Bud Light. You could sell more beer and cater to those who really like craft brew. If the consumer is not filled up and drunk, they can drink more.

The drawback I heard from beer experts at this was that the consumer demands higher alcohol with brew pub beer.

They pass right over it when they read 3.5% and it does not sell.

The hand pump system is harder to use a little messy. It takes a tad of skill, but I did it and never worked at a bar...

Americans aren't fond of cellar temperature beer. I had no idea it was going to be warm or cold... I was served it and tasted fine by me. It didn't come across that the beer was not ice cold until I was almost done with it.

I wish some local brewers would just give it a go in kegs. Harpoon or Sam Adams could market it so it would appeal to a wide audience.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

gotta agree with that.... the american market is sorely lacking good session beers.

Funny how we pass right over 3.5% abv, but still drink 4.2% all the time.

I for one would love a good tasting beer under 4%... then I might be able to actually drink a few without worrying about the effects!
Old 04-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Moses you should be able to get your hands on some of the Otter Creek Solstice session. I just started seeing it recently, and it should have made it to Mass by now. Here is their description

Solstice Ale is our eclectic brewers’ interpretation of the perfect session ale.
Masterful use of ingredients and technique results in a flavorful yet very drinkable ale,
an ideal choice for all social situations.
7 different malts provide a rich malty flavor and aroma, golden color, and medium body. Willamette, Cascade and Amarillo hops added to the brew kettle
impart mild hop flavor and bitterness while a fragrant hop aroma is due to
generous dry-hopping with Amarillo hops.
Available year ‘round in 6pks, 12pks, cases, and draft.
ALC/VOL 4% 18 IBUs
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Resipsa

Right on Moses.

I've been looking for a good session beer for this summer. And casks are

This is my beer bar:

http://www.itsonlybeer.com/

They always have 6 casks going, which I've never seen anywhere else, one of which is almost always Corniston Bluebird Bitter which is the house ale there.

Wish there were some craft brewers on this side doing more in this area.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:23 AM   #8
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Right on Moses.

I've been looking for a good session beer for this summer. And casks are

This is my beer bar:

http://www.itsonlybeer.com/

They always have 6 casks going, which I've never seen anywhere else, one of which is almost always Corniston Bluebird Bitter which is the house ale there.

Wish there were some craft brewers on this side doing more in this area.
NICE, wish we had something like that in the Boston area! Probably a good thing we don't though, I might go broke
Old 04-05-2010, 04:22 AM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
NICE, wish we had something like that in the Boston area! Probably a good thing we don't though, I might go broke
I know. A decent place with nice beer glasses and tasty session beer would be quite common around here, but it's not.

I'll take a look for "Otter Creek Solstice session"