Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 01-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #21
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigar Smoker Poking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
Crap I can't use a torch???

How about good wooden matches will that work.......I don't have a soft flame anywhere in this house.
Sure matches work. But I bet you burn through them in no time, as most new pipe smokers take a little time to develop a smoking rythm. So expect a few relights! Pipes go out, i've been smoking for years and usually have at least three relights
Old 01-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #22
ir13
PSHC - T1nyH@

Trading: (44)
HUpmann
ir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the rough

Im pretty sure ive got the soft flame lighter covered in my care package
Old 01-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #23
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

How about good wooden matches will that work.......I don't have a soft flame anywhere in this house.
Set a cob on fire with the torch, then use the softly burning pipe to light your tobacco in the meerschaum.

Meerschaum, unlike briar, doesn't much hold a scent (or a "ghost" as we say here in the pipe fraternity) so you can smoke all kinds of tobacco in one or two meers. Briars, sooner or later, need to be segregated according to tobacco types (don't ask - long story). Meerschaum doesn't get soggy when you smoke two or three bowls in a day; brair does get soggy and likes to dry out for a day or more after a few bowlsful. Briar needs to build a dime-thick carbon cake inside the bowl to smoke cooler and dryer as time goes on and, when too thick, needs scraping or reaming; meers are kept more-or-less cake-free - smoke and scrape lightly with a pipe tool or bristle-type pipe cleaner to discourage buildup.

A cob is like a $4.00 meer - they're also great with moisture and tend not to ghost very much.

Get a straight pipe for starters. They're way easier to pass pipe cleaners through when gurgling begins.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #24
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Set a cob on fire with the torch, then use the softly burning pipe to light your tobacco in the meerschaum.

Meerschaum, unlike briar, doesn't much hold a scent (or a "ghost" as we say here in the pipe fraternity) so you can smoke all kinds of tobacco in one or two meers. Briars, sooner or later, need to be segregated according to tobacco types (don't ask - long story). Meerschaum doesn't get soggy when you smoke two or three bowls in a day; brair does get soggy and likes to dry out for a day or more after a few bowlsful. Briar needs to build a dime-thick carbon cake inside the bowl to smoke cooler and dryer as time goes on and, when too thick, needs scraping or reaming; meers are kept more-or-less cake-free - smoke and scrape lightly with a pipe tool or bristle-type pipe cleaner to discourage buildup.

A cob is like a $4.00 meer - they're also great with moisture and tend not to ghost very much.

Get a straight pipe for starters. They're way easier to pass pipe cleaners through when gurgling begins.

hmmmmmmm

meer huh, were can I get them that are not carved in a skulls head and look like I should be smoking pot in them
Old 01-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #25
perogee
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Robert
Trading: (7)
perogee is on a distinguished road

Have you been in to Epicure? (used to be Cavendish and Moores) They carry a few, though really kind of over priced.
There are usually a bunch on ebay, you just have to be willing to sift through the sci-fi themed to find the good ones.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #26
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
hmmmmmmm

meer huh, were can I get them that are not carved in a skulls head and look like I should be smoking pot in them
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/imp/index.cfm

http://www.smspipes.com/index.cfm/fu...n/catalog.main

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept...ch=DW&tier2=88

http://www.paylesspipes.com/items.php?deptid=2&a=1#s320

Meers are great, I have an IMP and SMS and use them as testers.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #27
SilverFox

aaaaaaagh

I have just scrolled through 220 Meer Pipes on Ebay.................I don't have a f'n clue what I am looking at LOL
Old 01-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #28
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

There is also the option of a Meer Lined brair.
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-Dr-GRABO...item2a040b2dd2

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Kaywoodie-M...item27ae6c3886

Last edited by JaKaacH; 01-15-2010 at 09:27 PM.
JaKaacH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #29
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

Quote:

using a torch to light a pipe is not usually a good idea...as it burns too hot and can burn the bowl of a pipe....

one reason i like my evertorch....has both torch for cigars and soft flame for my pipe and cigars
Old 01-16-2010, 12:14 AM   #30
SilverFox

What do you guys think of this one?
LINk
Old 01-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #31
perogee
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Robert
perogee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What do you guys think of this one?
LINk
While I will be the first to admit my experience is far from vast, I have never seen a "new" meer with colour before. It looks cool, but I would wonder about it being new, or what it is that they have done to it to make it look like that.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #32
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

This is what I believe new Meer pipes to look like. I would be sketchy about that one SilverFox.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/ne...oduct_id=51672
Old 01-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #33
SilverFox

Looks like maybe I should pick up a few cobs (sigghhh)

I am like a kid in a candy store.

Someone help a poor brother out. I am getting a few cobs but now what.

What tobaccos to try.

I am a strictly Cuban Cigar smoker.

I like subtle nuances in my cigars.............creamy, sweet (not cloying but sweetness to it) coffee and leather notes. Not a big spice fan.

4noggins looks like a good place to start..........what if anything is a can't miss for a newb with my taste profile?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #34
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Here is a great review site.
http://tobaccoreviews.com/browse_all.cfm
Old 01-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #35
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Looks like maybe I should pick up a few cobs (sigghhh)
I am like a kid in a candy store.
Someone help a poor brother out. I am getting a few cobs but now what.
What tobaccos to try.
I am a strictly Cuban Cigar smoker.
I like subtle nuances in my cigars.............creamy, sweet (not cloying but sweetness to it) coffee and leather notes. Not a big spice fan.
4noggins looks like a good place to start..........what if anything is a can't miss for a newb with my taste profile?
I would just break down a buy a few cobs. In the beginning I had a few store bought cob pipes, a pipe a brother gifted me and I used some nails I had laying around for a tamping tool.
Then get on with the Newbie Pipe Tobacco thread. Brothers there will hook you up just fine. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9168
Get a good variety of tobacco samples to try, and work from there. In time things will work out. Only advice I can give is to take things slow. Pipe smoking is something that should be taken slowly IMMO. Think of it like when you first got into cigars. If you were like me you wanted to try everything and buy everything. Then you end up with a large stash of cigars you find out you really do not care for. Then spend endless time, smoking them or giving them away ahaha ...I know how you feel. There are so many blends of tobaccos, so many pipes, so little time. Try all different types of tobaccos. I prefer stronger cigars and cubans but when it comes to pipes I enjoy Virginia blends which tend to be sweet tobaccos. There are some pipe tobacco blends that have cigar clippings in them. I have only tried a few of these and was not all that impressed. Hence the corncob suggestion. Having these "throw away" pipes allow you to destroy them while learning how to smoke and trying different tobaccos. In time, you will get better pipes both in cost and smoking quality ( although some guys still prefer cobs ) but in time you will assign certain pipes to certain types of tobaccos. or even specific blends themselves.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #36
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
I would just break down a buy a few cobs. In the beginning I had a few store bought cob pipes, a pipe a brother gifted me and I used some nails I had laying around for a tamping tool.
Then get on with the Newbie Pipe Tobacco thread. Brothers there will hook you up just fine. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9168
Get a good variety of tobacco samples to try, and work from there. In time things will work out. Only advice I can give is to take things slow. Pipe smoking is something that should be taken slowly IMMO. Think of it like when you first got into cigars. If you were like me you wanted to try everything and buy everything. Then you end up with a large stash of cigars you find out you really do not care for. Then spend endless time, smoking them or giving them away ahaha ...I know how you feel. There are so many blends of tobaccos, so many pipes, so little time. Try all different types of tobaccos. I prefer stronger cigars and cubans but when it comes to pipes I enjoy Virginia blends which tend to be sweet tobaccos. There are some pipe tobacco blends that have cigar clippings in them. I have only tried a few of these and was not all that impressed. Hence the corncob suggestion. Having these "throw away" pipes allow you to destroy them while learning how to smoke and trying different tobaccos. In time, you will get better pipes both in cost and smoking quality ( although some guys still prefer cobs ) but in time you will assign certain pipes to certain types of tobaccos. or even specific blends themselves.
I did

I broke down

5 cobs on route
Old 01-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #37
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I did

I broke down

5 cobs on route
36 posts... Jeepers. It'll take til Easter to come up with some tobacco to go with them.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #38
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
36 posts... Jeepers. It'll take til Easter to come up with some tobacco to go with them.
Nope............some samplers coming from a couple inmates that decided to shove me down the slope. Also I might have thrown a tin or two in from Noggins.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #39
ir13
PSHC - T1nyH@

Trading: (44)
HUpmann
ir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the rough

6lbs of pipe gear en route
Old 01-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #40
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir13 View Post
6lbs of pipe gear en route