Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 02-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
SilverFox

Default El Dorado Single Barrel Rum

Simply put this is by far the best rum I have ever had. It takes a top five spot in my favourite spirits of all time and might even be number one overall.

It has the most amazing aroma ever........it reminded me of dark maple fudge bursting with Vanilla, or that first taste of a true toffee caramel. It is that smell on the nose before each drink absolutely amazing. It stopped me from taking a sip several times and I just enjoyed the aroma.

The taste is well just amazing. It was full of great spicy smoothness, like cinnamon and nutmeg infused with vanilla and caramel and that deep dark cane sugar taste almost like well my mom's butter tarts (think molasses and brown sugar and raisins). It finishes slightly warm on the throat with that same spiciness. It leaves a lingering taste of woodiness (oak maybe) Sip after sip whacked my palate with amazing flavours.

I bought this purely on recommendation from the guy at my normal store and it was not cheap............he says trust me its worth it..........well I will be picking up a few more bottles in case they dissappear.

It is not often I am stunned by a beverage but this one did me in. 2 fingers, 2 cubes and pure bliss it was truly an amazing experience.

If you do not like your rum neat or on the rocks then this is not for you, to mix anything in this would be a waste in my opinion as there are many great rums out there at less money that are great mixers.

I could rant for hours on how good I found this rum to be. But I think you get the image.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation
Default Re: El Dorado Single Barrel Rum

I've been looking for a good rum. Time to start searching. Thanks for posting.

MCS
Old 02-27-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Great review Shawn! After your text messages last night about how great this is Ive been on a hunt this morning for the best price on a bottle Im glad you posted up a pic, because I though you had been talking about the 21 year.

They average around $90 from what I can find... If anybody can get it cheaper, please let me know!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Great review Shawn! After your text messages last night about how great this is Ive been on a hunt this morning for the best price on a bottle Im glad you posted up a pic, because I though you had been talking about the 21 year.

They average around $90 from what I can find... If anybody can get it cheaper, please let me know!
I am going to have another glass or two tonight to make sure it wasn't a dream. This was oh man good.......
Old 02-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I hate you Shawn. The plus side is that this is waaaay beyond my price comfort zone, so I will recover quickly and re-like you. Great description and review. I was actually salivating.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
Darrell

Old 02-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
Wanger

Haven't had that one, but I've had El Dorado 12 and 15 year, and found them both quite tasty. Thanks for the review, Shawn.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
Mpython24

oh that looks very tasty. probably couldn't afford the 90 bucks a bottle right now though. would you pair it with a cigar or just a great stand alone drink?