Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default The Official Asylum Metal Detecting & Finds Thread

Since we have every yuppie diversion thread known to mankind, wet shaving, coffee pressing, bean roasting,
I thought I would do my part to cover the more doofus genre and begin the metal detecting thread with an
emphasis on recent finds. Most of my finds for today are gone, I was in the yard of an old 40s-50s school
today in a rough neighborhood. I heard every bull$hi+ panhandler story in the book, and I LOVED the look
on their faces when I gave them crusty pennies and unrecognizable dimes. The quarters I keep for the
office coke machine since all the money goes to the boss. Most of the people dropped the coins
once they thought I wasn't watching them anymore, some right there in front of me. In front of one old tree,
I came up with 6 quarters. I love old smoking sites around schools. This place has been picked clean of silver,
as have most places in this city. But I like the excercise and the possibilities. All told today, I managed to dig up
1.97 in quarters, dimes and copper pennies.

I have raggy equipment, though I am not embarassed by it. I don't live in a nugget-rich environment,
So I spent what I thought I needed to spend to find silver coins where they could be found. I find a fair
amount of civil-war era coinage by the river, and I spend a couple Sundays a year around old schools,
a couple Saturdays around old churches. I have a Fisher F2 and a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. Both
minimum quality rigs for maximum quality fun.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Official Asylum Metal Detecting & Finds Thread

Today as i said, I gave away all clad coinage except the quarters, which I keep in another pocket, lol. I also found a 1948 Dime,
a 1968 dime, a Chuck E. Cheese token, a russian coin of some kind and a stainless steel folding ruler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finds 21 may 2011.jpg (89.3 KB, 363 views)
Old 05-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
mariogolbee

I've always wanted to try my hand at this. Nice finds and a good way to have fun!
Old 05-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
OLS
Suck It

I had the itch something terrible about ten years or more ago, my gosh, it's been awhile when I look at it like that.
I think My dad wanted to get into it, but way back then, in the 70's and 80s, even a crap rig was very expensive.
And they were all crap, lol. He died a good 25 years ago, so we never got to do it together. It's the kind of
thing he got a kick out of. He was a chemistry and physics teacher. I got my second unit last week, lol. I won't
take it into some of these nighborhoods yet. Of course, having a SHARP army shovel in your other hand tends to keep
the wolves at bay a bit, lol. For $150-200, you can find one that'll find the fun stuff. Problem is that GOLD tends to
detect around the spectrum with iron and pull tabs...bummer.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Use to do this with a friend and his dad when I was younger. Found bunch of change and a gold ring is te most valuable thing I found. I've been pondering about buying one and going around the old winery places around here.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
secretsquirrel
Yeah so

First Name: m
Trading: (12)
secretsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Ive been kickin around the idea of getting one and wondering around with it.
Is there any kind of law against digging on public property?
secretsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
mariogolbee

I may have to add this to my list of near-future hobbies.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
BC-Axeman

Yep, this is one I remember from my boy scout days. I never got my own rig. My wife has been mentioning it for when we go camping. Maybe it will be her idea to get one.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
OLS
Suck It

I have never been asked to leave, and have been passed by dozens of cops, etc. I believe that there are few laws that
prevent public property metal-detecting. However the most important thing has always been, learn to dig small holes
and pop good plugs, so that the hole you fill in looks as good as you can make it look. You have to dig on Pub Prop as
though at any moment someone from some department will walk up on you and say WTF? You should be able to say
"Well look here and here and here...my holes look pretty doggone neat. People hate to see ugly piles of crap that bad
detectorists leave behind. I used to carry a piece of cardboard to pile any dirt on, so that when it came time to fill in
the holes, there was not a lot of random dirt laying around in the grass. I also really like detecting on plain old dirt, lol.
It's a lot easier to fill holes. If you treat other people's grass the way you would your own lawn, it makes you good
enough to get very little crap. I hear signals in my yard, and I still haven't dug em. I worked a long time to fix my
St. Augustine lawn and hate to dig holes in it.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

This is a current story in our area:

Officer Dulle's Ring

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
mfarre03
Never pet a burning dog..

First Name: Mike
Trading: (3)
Cohiba
mfarre03 is on a distinguished road

Very cool, always interested in metal detectors but its just one more hobby I DON'T need, lol
mfarre03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Got a metal detector two years ago for christmas with the expectation that I would be taking various trips down to Virginia and other southern states to look for civil war relics. Got in with the govt, moved away from the east coast and unfortunately haven't even used it yet. Should probably start looking for some spots up here in the pac northwest.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #13
OLS
Suck It

You might find Sacajawea's retainer.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
Tikihut27
Learned to Love the Bomb

Army (Retired)
Tikihut27 has a spectacular aura aboutTikihut27 has a spectacular aura about

About 3-4 times a week I get up early, grab a decent smoke (lately it's been a Deisel Unlimited d.7), and walk 2 miles of Lake Ontario beach up and back for a 4 mile walk. I like to see what the lake kicks up- I like history and archaeology, and trying to figure out what something was and when it came from. Here are some finds from this year:

1: Toy car tire circa 1950
2: Ceramic/copper/mica household fuse c. 1940's
3: Modern change
4: Lightbulb base
5: Aluminum nugget (Probably from a tin can tossed in a fire)
6: Older quarter
7: Euro cent (modern)
8: Vintage buttons (Left- leather, Right- glass)
9: 12 gauge brass from old paper shell (Remington)
10: Brass shoe rivet c. 1920's

Pottery sherds, 19th/early 20th century:

1: Clay pipe bowl fragment, late 19th century (Scottish?)
2: Clay pipe stem fragment, late 19th century
3: Pipe bowl, mid-20th century

Do you know this one?

Last pic, always fun to find if not particularly historically interesting: GOLD

I've found marbles, glass bottle stoppers, ice age bones, fossils, a nice bouy that's now hanging in the stateside Tiki Hut, a piece of carved bone, plenty more.

No metal detector used, sight only. I wonder what I'd find if I got a nice detector...
Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
BC-Axeman

The 270 is a badge from a Volvo 270 outdrive off a boat.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

subscribed. I love seeing found objects
Old 05-24-2011, 11:22 PM   #17
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

I don't own a metal detector, but this is a cool thread and I will continue to follow it.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #18
mfarre03
Never pet a burning dog..

First Name: Mike
Cohiba
mfarre03 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
I don't own a metal detector, but this is a cool thread and I will continue to follow it.
mfarre03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #19
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarre03 View Post
Old 05-25-2011, 03:47 AM   #20
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

metal detecting/cool crap we find on the ground thread. I like. Im always looking for crazy stuff when i take the dog for a walk along the creek behind our house.