Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #61
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sometimes you call a spade a spade

Assuming the GP was for embargoed cc, aside from what has already been mentioned, an illegal contract (e.g. agreement to purchase illegal goods) is unenforceable. Therefore, the agreement itself is likely null and void. I'm not saying that he couldn't be criminally liable for fraud or theft (I don't practice criminal law), but any action would likely open up a can of worms that would be detrimental to the community as a whole. Caveat Emptor (buyer beware)! Some people (even friends and family) just suck!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #62
ahc4353

I have a MOD question.

If Member A is taken advantage of on ANOTHER board by Member B and BOTH are members of THIS board, is it OK for Member A to post negative feedback on THIS board?

Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #63
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
I'm actually struggling with a similar question Scott. I have an "off board" deal that hasn't been satisfied and am not sure if neg feedback is appropriate. Since it's off board I can see why it shouldn't be, but if someone else got scammed by the same person and I didn't give neg feedback I'd feel pretty rotten.
Always been my understanding Joel that if it didn't happen here, don't leave feedback for it here.

I'm sure one of our hosts will correct me if I'm wrong

Old 07-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #64
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Always been my understanding Joel that if it didn't happen here, don't leave feedback for it here.

I'm sure one of our hosts will correct me if I'm wrong
Yep. That is the general practice.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #65
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Yep. That is the general practice.
Can you explain why? Makes zero sense to me. What difference does the board have it's the person that makes or breaks a deal.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #66
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Can you explain why? Makes zero sense to me. What difference does the board have it's the person that makes or breaks a deal.

Thanks in advance.
I think it has to do with not bringing drama from one place to another.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #67
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I think it has to do with not bringing drama from one place to another.
I agree not in a thread. But I do see value and no harm putting it in the feedback system.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #68
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Sorry you don't agree or understand, Al. But that is just the way we have decided to conduct things here. The TOE have enough on our plate. Allowing what you propose would necessitate us being up on what goes on everywhere else. (Rhetorical questions: How many other boards would you have us monitor? What about private boards?) It would open up a huge can of worms and none of us have the time or inclination to do so.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #69
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade06 View Post
Assuming the GP was for embargoed Therefore, the agreement itself is likely null and void. but any action would likely open up a can of worms that would be detrimental to the community as a whole. Caveat Emptor (buyer beware)! Some people (even friends and family) just suck!
This is where I will end up replying, although I wanted to reply to the person that stated that there was a real case, crossing state lines, etc. I laughed out loud, I am sorry to say. Not to deride the person who said this, but in a general way, I was thinking, 'yup, it's easy to give advice to the "other person" who then has to act on his ironclad case involving illegal goods'. Haha, priceless. A person who rips a person on a coke deal knows there is only one threat. Revenge. Because they are not going to tell the cops they got ripped off in a coke deal. There is no legal recourse. This is why I do not trade. Some people will laugh about that statement, and you know who you are. But buy what you like, then get together with friends and smoke it. All this trading and piles of money and hurt feelings is eventually bad for everybody. In a metaphysical sort of way, anyway. But when you come out on the losing end, you really only have two recourses.
One is the old show up at the door. Two is to make sure that he can't operate in the dark on your board. You showed alot of restraint using option two. When I DO deal with people, I tell them that my good name is my guarantee. What good is the internet cigar community if I can't enjoy it with my head up?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #70
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
What about private boards?
Can I join?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #71
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
If a transaction at another site went bad, it would certainly make sense to leave negative trader feedback at THAT site.

When we first started Cigar Asylum, the 11 of us decided that everyone here would be able to start fresh. What happened at other boards, what happened 2 years ago, etc was pretty much null and void. Everyone here got a chance to start anew. If you screwed up here, then you screwed up.

As diverse as the cigar communities are on the internet, we are all in a very closely knit group. Its pretty rare that a member on this board is not known by someone on another board, whether you know it or not. Word travels very fast on the web. If its cigar related, it travels within the cigar community twice as fast. Chances are that Dans reputation is already on other boards as I type this.

Im not sure if I really answered your question Al, but I think you get the idea.

__________________________-

Now about getting folks on the "list"

I can only forewarn those that may or may not know the facts about "the list". I do this with help from a fellow members PM:

There was some discussion recently about having a few specific people be the "judges" about who gets on that list. Many of the people deserve to be on the list, but at the same time, the people here need to understand that once someone is on the list, they are never taken off the list, and the fact that they may complete the deal is never added.
The list originated from another site which has a very different character than here.
While many feel that certain folks should be on that list, be warned. Its like a bullet. Once fired, theres no turning back. Theres no oops. No negotiation will reverse it. It is written in virtual stone forever for all to see. Game over.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
Old 07-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #72
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
It shouldn't take too much thought on the subject to figure out why this would be the case.
I don't think most here would care to have their pms and posts subpoenaed as part of an investigation. People like their privacy, degree of anonymity, and any scrutiny would be detrimental.
Of course, I don't think that SilverFox would want things to go to that level, I just felt it prudent to be clear on the above points.
I can hear Tracey Morgan now, in drag on SNL on The View. "Yes, I AM a lawyer!"
Sorry, where was I? Oh yeah, this is the best advice in the thread, and all of you should re-read it. This is cut from the same cloth as why we do not make a huge stink when a vendor does something we do not like, we move on and hit the next name on the list. You NEVER want to ship cigars back, because then the curtain gets pulled back uncomfortably far for the old Wizard. Everytime you reach out for a little justice, that's when you get a little more light on your business than you want. That's like what the man said in goodfellas...we're like the cops for people who can't GO to the cops. YOU CAN'T go the the cops, so you have to do a little eating of the shi+.

NOW, that doesn't mean the Fox shouldn't get a few well-placed bombs to make up for his loss, I can already see that happening. Derh.
But like I said earlier, it's always easy to suggest some kind of official payback, but that just doesn't work in this situation. That's why it's nearly the perfect scam, if it is a scam. All he has to do is disappear.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #73
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Can I join?
Private boards are a myth, much talked and speculated about, but in the end, much like kaiser soze, they just wisps of smoke

Old 07-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #74
Joan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
A person who rips a person on a coke deal knows there is only one threat. Revenge.

I like revenge, a dish best served ice cold in a dark parking lot.

They have parking lots in Canada, don't they?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #75
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post

NOW, that doesn't mean the Fox shouldn't get a few well-placed bombs to make up for his loss, I can already see that happening. .
but not for his loss, for his generousity.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #76
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like the guy took a bunch of $$$...man that sucks. Why would someone spend so much time on these forums making friends just to screw people for money (and even though it was a bunch it wasn't worth it). Karma is a *****.....
Old 07-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #77
GoldnGT
Hibbidy Jibbidy

First Name: Michael
Trading: (2)
PL
GoldnGT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
In response to those recommending some criminal legal action be taken in this matter, I'd just like to remind you all that cigar communities are most comfortable flying under the radar, so to speak. It shouldn't take too much thought on the subject to figure out why this would be the case.
Oh I definately understand.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #78
gorob23
Brother of the Leaf

First Name: Rob
Trading: (0)
gorob23 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
Sounds like the guy took a bunch of $$$...man that sucks. Why would someone spend so much time on these forums making friends just to screw people for money (and even though it was a bunch it wasn't worth it). Karma is a *****.....
People are weird dude. I got ripped off for $4k LEGALLY! It was a 2 year ordeal and in the end the guy that got the cash is a miserable lying scumbag of a person. Life goes on. The money will come back, but things like Honor, loyalty and my name are NOT for sale and once gone hard to ever get them back.

Rob

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

"Snow Globe"

I miss light switch
Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #79
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Private boards are a myth, much talked and speculated about, but in the end, much like kaiser soze, they just wisps of smoke
This is a riddle, right?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #80
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
This is a riddle, right?
Why yes

Closed Thread