Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 AM   #81
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ubuntu!

Just installed Ubuntu the other day on three desktops. One old Dell got a fresh install, but I'm dual booting it on a newer Gateway laptop and Systemax desktop.

All of this started with a HD crash that almost wiped out my data. I've been amazed at the tools available for Ubuntu. Gparted is awesome. Also using 3d desktop and the AWN dock on the computers that can handle it.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #82
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Trading: (19)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

Compiz is getting so many new updates. I run the dev version of Compiz. You will need a beefy Vid card though.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #83
BC-Axeman

My vid card can handle compiz just fine but it didn't seem to play nice with the kernel or KDE or something and would crash when I was switching virtual terminals. Maybe they have fixed that by now.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #84
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

Compiz goes crazy on my old P4 desktop with an Nvidia Geforce3 Ti 200. I think it's a conflict with that driver.

Seems to work with much fewer issues on the newer desktop and laptop.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #85
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

What in the hell are y'all talking about????

Sincerely,

Technologically Illiterate

rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #86
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

First Name: Tristan
Trading: (0)
Partagas
Tristan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
Just installed Ubuntu the other day on three desktops. One old Dell got a fresh install, but I'm dual booting it on a newer Gateway laptop and Systemax desktop.

All of this started with a HD crash that almost wiped out my data. I've been amazed at the tools available for Ubuntu. Gparted is awesome. Also using 3d desktop and the AWN dock on the computers that can handle it.
I'm with you! I love Gparted and I keep Ubuntu on a flash drive for doing partition work. Sudo Gparted baby! Also, Ubuntu on a flash is great if someone comes to me with a virus infected windows machine that needs everything backed up. It works 99% of the time and loads any external drive to do a back up. Just a few quick easy steps before performing a complete restore.

Another way Ubuntu is great on the flash drive is if you have to reinstall Grub after making changes to your MBR.

I haven't ran AWN dock in a long time. I should give it another shot!
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #87
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
I'm with you! I love Gparted and I keep Ubuntu on a flash drive for doing partition work. Sudo Gparted baby! Also, Ubuntu on a flash is great if someone comes to me with a virus infected windows machine that needs everything backed up. It works 99% of the time and loads any external drive to do a back up. Just a few quick easy steps before performing a complete restore.

Another way Ubuntu is great on the flash drive is if you have to reinstall Grub after making changes to your MBR.

I haven't ran AWN dock in a long time. I should give it another shot!
Yup Gparted is awesome. I burned the LiveCD and partitioning takes seconds. Being that I didn't end up losing any data, the crash ended up being a good thing.

I need to get a new USB drive. But are older systems compatible? USB boot is a bios setting, correct?

AWN dock is pretty cool, but it is very buggy. But if drag and drop into the dock works, then you're good!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #88
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
I need to get a new USB drive. But are older systems compatible? USB boot is a bios setting, correct?
Bingo! It depends how old the machine is an if they have brought out any bios revisions. Being that you need Windows in most cases to flash bios most of the time this may be difficult if these machines got hosed or had a hard drive failure.

I would make a wild guess and say anything over than 6+ years might not have the usb boot feature. I just found something interesting. Seems you can boot into a CD that will boot from USB without BIOS support. Sounds kind of crazy to me, but it might be ideal for some:

http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action...parentID=10682
Old 09-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #89
BC-Axeman

I was about to mention that you can upgrade flash from a boot floppy (what's a boot floppy?)
LOL
Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #90
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

Quote:
Bingo! It depends how old the machine is an if they have brought out any bios revisions. Being that you need Windows in most cases to flash bios most of the time this may be difficult if these machines got hosed or had a hard drive failure.

I would make a wild guess and say anything over than 6+ years might not have the usb boot feature. I just found something interesting. Seems you can boot into a CD that will boot from USB without BIOS support. Sounds kind of crazy to me, but it might be ideal for some:

http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action...parentID=10682
As I think about it, yes... USB boot would be very cool. But booting to a CD just so you can USB boot doesn't really seem to efficient. I would bet that most of the computers I may encounter will be USB bootable, but if it's not, I'll just throw in the live CD. But if the computer is USB bootable, it's pretty sweet that you can have the fix on your keychain.

Got to show off Ubuntu during a meeting at work this morning. I was showing a sales rep and sales manager of a furniture company various ad's we've used, and I flipped the cube to open a new desktop. First a "whoa", then an "is that Windows 7?" I told them it was Ubuntu, which they had never heard of.

What kind of bugs are you finding on 9.10?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #91
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

My internal wireless card in not compatible with Ubuntu, So I got to thinking (scary, I know) I have a Rosewill RNX-G100 USB Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g
Could I simply plug that in or perhaps load drivers for it?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #92
BC-Axeman

I searched for that Roswill adapter and found one mention of it working with Ubuntu after loading with ndiswrapper (which loads the windriver). Spotty reception was mentioned.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #93
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
My internal wireless card in not compatible with Ubuntu, So I got to thinking (scary, I know) I have a Rosewill RNX-G100 USB Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g
Could I simply plug that in or perhaps load drivers for it?
A google search imiplied it can be done with ndiswrapper. Never had any personal experience. Give that a google and see what you can come up with.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #94
BC-Axeman

I use altavista still. Even though it's a stripped down yahoo.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #95
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

I've been trying out Ubuntu Netbook Remix on my Dell netbook (booting off a "live cd" on a jump drive). It's really great!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #96
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

Partagas

Who's stoked about 10.04? Looks like it's going to be an improvement for those with Nvidia graphics and who want a faster boot time! I'm hoping they solve hd video playback and digital audio output issues!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #97
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Who's stoked about 10.04? Looks like it's going to be an improvement for those with Nvidia graphics and who want a faster boot time! I'm hoping they solve hd video playback and digital audio output issues!
I don't like how they moved some buttons to the left ala OSX, but lots of little improvements I like. Looks like they pushing social integration, Facebook, myspace, and twitter right up in the desktop. Which is cool for people who use them I guess.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #98
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

The new PCLinuxOS 2010 is freakin awesome.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #99
BC-Axeman

I just looked over PCLOS's website. I like their upgrade philosophy better than UBUNTU's.
Continuous long term upgrades vs. version replacement.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #100
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
The new PCLinuxOS 2010 is freakin awesome.
I'm a fan. I always go back and forth between PCLinux and Sabayon on my desktop. I always use some form of 'buntu of my netbook though.