Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Tea Discussion

Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default What's the Difference Between Loose Leaf and Teabags?

Flavorwise, what's the difference? Is loose leaf superior to teabags, and if so, with my inexperienced palate would I notice any difference?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's the Difference Between Loose Leaf and Teabags?

Many tea bags have tea "dust" in them. That is, they are tiny particles of the leaves. Loose leaf is typically whole leaf. There are some whole leaf tea bags. I serve Harney & Sons silk sachet bags in my shops. They contain whole leaf.

As far as flavor, it could probably be compared to longfiller handmade cigars, and shortfiller machine made.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

So being whole leaves as compared to dust, the flavors would be quite similar but the whole leaves would be very more pronounced? Thanks for the help, Moe.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
So being whole leaves as compared to dust, the flavors would be quite similar but the whole leaves would be very more pronounced? Thanks for the help, Moe.
The whole leaf is typically a higher quality leaf. Im no expert on tea, but when I was looking to "upgrade" from using lipton in the caffes I sampled many different types at various coffee shows.

Perhaps someone with more tea experience can chime in on why the whole leafs are worth the premium price.

In the mean-time, pm me your addy and ill let you try some assorted whole leaf varieties.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post

In the mean-time, pm me your addy and ill let you try some assorted whole leaf varieties.
Andy is getting screwed
Old 01-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Flavorwise, what's the difference? Is loose leaf superior to teabags, and if so, with my inexperienced palate would I notice any difference?
Night and day really. The first thing you'll notice about whole leaves is they're not as "strong" tasting as broken leaves or fannings and dust used in bags. The flavors are more subtle, but there's so much more there to taste. Non-broken blacks are hard to find but can be gotten.

Generally, when I think whole leaf, I think green, oolong, or mao cha(the leaves before they are pressed into cakes for pu-erh). These teas are not cream and sugar, but straight drinkers as cream and sugar would mask everything. I know I sound like a broken record, but if you go this route, get a cheap gaiwan and experiment with gong fu brewing (lots of leaf, very short infusion times).

The other thing about whole leaf is they are more "durable." There are whole leaf blacks that can take 5 short steeps. There are good oolongs and pu-erhs which I get 20-30 steeps out of (small cup a la the Chinese is the route).

Probably more than you wanted to hear.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
Night and day really. The first thing you'll notice about whole leaves is they're not as "strong" tasting as broken leaves or fannings and dust used in bags. The flavors are more subtle, but there's so much more there to taste. Non-broken blacks are hard to find but can be gotten.
So if I like my tea somewhat stronger and use sweetener, then I should probably stick with tea bags?

Insert quote here.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Andy is getting screwed
Teabagged is more like it.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Teabagged is more like it.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So if I like my tea somewhat stronger and use sweetener, then I should probably stick with tea bags?
Well, the simple answer is yes, but if I may use an analogy, "If I like Padrons, I should just stick to Padron's?" A bit over-simplified, but you get the point. I was a black tea drinker (cream and sugar) for many years before I went to the dark side. It's yet another slippery slope. It's up to you if you want to peer over the precipice.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
As far as flavor, it could probably be compared to longfiller handmade cigars, and shortfiller machine made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
Well, the simple answer is yes, but if I may use an analogy, "If I like Padrons, I should just stick to Padron's?"
Whodathunkit? Cigar references used to describe tea.

Actually, the cigar analogies work well in explaining the difference. Thanks guys.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
Cigary

Thanks for asking this question Andy. I love tea but always drink the flavored tea like Bigelow and others. A good friend sent me the whole set of tea leaves, press and flowering teas,,,have not used it yet but will this week sometime. My favorite so far is the Caramel/Vanilla with a spot of cream and two sugars. I got interested in teas when the wife and I took a cruise on the Queen Mary 2 a few years ago and they had a tea time every day with some amazing teas, scones, sandwiches and more. We got really interested in this ritual and stay with it to this day.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #13
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Whodathunkit? Cigar references used to describe tea.
Why not? I can remember times when my RyJ Cazadore tasted like tea with honey, or my black tea reminded me of a Monte 4.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
SilverFox

I can say that in two teas I drink straight Green Tea and Jasmine........I really am not interested in anything but loose leaf and the fuller the better.