Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #241
GAW
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (9)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
GAW is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzm007 View Post
Are there any jars out there with a tight seal lid? I'm not looking for canning jars per se, since I don't want to have to pressure seal them closed; I just want to open, smoke, close, as you said?

Preferably something in a 4 oz. variety?

Ziploc - several sizes including 4oz - plastic with screw top and wide mouth - a little expensive but they seal well and they will travel well also. My
Old 09-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #242
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

If you've never smoked a pipe, and want to give it a shot, what are some suggestions/ideas/resources to point said noob in the right direction.
yachties23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #243
kzm007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAW View Post
Ziploc - several sizes including 4oz - plastic with screw top and wide mouth - a little expensive but they seal well and they will travel well also. My
Could I get a link, please for the Ziploc?

Otherwise, are these usable?
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4-oz-Glass-Pip...n%3D3%26ps%3D6
Old 09-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #244
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Otherwise, are these usable?
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4-oz-Glass-Pip...n%3D3%26ps%3D6
Hey, those look nice! I like 'em. That rubber/plastic gasket on the lid would probably make a nice seal.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #245
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
http://www.ziploc.com/?p=b7

you can get them at most any grocery store, Zip-Loc Twist'n Loc containers, not baggies. they seal great, and stack better than anything (they're designed to stack).
here's a photo of a large number of them stacked up.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #246
GAW
Still Watching My Back

Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
GAW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Cut View Post
http://www.ziploc.com/?p=b7

you can get them at most any grocery store, Zip-Loc Twist'n Loc containers, not baggies. they seal great, and stack better than anything (they're designed to stack).
here's a photo of a large number of them stacked up.

Those are the exact ones I was referring to and use !!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #247
kzm007

wow...=D. I'm sure they're easy to clean out to remove tobacco scents as well, too?

Thanks for the info though!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #248
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAW View Post
Those are the exact ones I was referring to and use !!
yep.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #249
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachties23 View Post
If you've never smoked a pipe, and want to give it a shot, what are some suggestions/ideas/resources to point said noob in the right direction.
1. Buy a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe with a straight stem, a Czech pipe multi-tool, a box or two of kitchen matches, some fluffy pipe cleaners and a pouch of Prince Albert or Carter Hall tobacco.

2. Stuff the pipe with tobacco so you can still draw air easily thru it and set the thing on fire atop; after it goes out, tamp the tobak down with the pipe tool tamper and set it afire again; puff slowly. If it gets drooly, swab out the stem with a pipe cleaner; and

3. read this. http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...d1b87db15204e0

Have a ball.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #250
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
1. Buy a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe with a straight stem, a Czech pipe multi-tool, a box or two of kitchen matches, some fluffy pipe cleaners and a pouch of Prince Albert or Carter Hall tobacco.

2. Stuff the pipe with tobacco so you can still draw air easily thru it and set the thing on fire atop; after it goes out, tamp the tobak down with the pipe tool tamper and set it afire again; puff slowly. If it gets drooly, swab out the stem with a pipe cleaner; and

3. read this. http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...d1b87db15204e0

Have a ball.
since corn cobs are cheap, buy two or three.
then i'd ask an old time smoker on HERE if you could have a sample or 4 of different tobaccos...
smoke those to get a wide variety of tobaccos....

sorry, not a big drug store burley tobacco kinda guy, can't suggest that part. nothing wrong with them, but they are pretty straight forward and not a great representation of what's out there in terms of flavor. their best attributes are the fact that they aren't totally foul in flavor, have a decent room note (aroma), and burn easily.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #251
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachties23 View Post
Next time we herf let's chat, I may have a tobacco or two you can try
Old 09-25-2009, 01:03 AM   #252
kzm007

Say wise men, how do y'all tell the difference between tobacco?

You know, is it English, Latkia, VaPer, etc.?

I ask specifically because all I have is six baggies from Boswell's. My thanks again go out to GAW for the advice on the containers. Got them all filled and labeled. Should've put the damn labels on the side of the containers, not the lids, but whatever.

Anyway, I've got Apple Strudel, Bear Blend, Peaches and Cream, Majestic 586, Maple Leaf, and Sweet Dreams (yep, alphabetized ). They're all ribbon cut, all brown or a little darker brown, and I want to try to avoid ghosting in my solitary tobak pipe.

How do I tell the difference, now and in the future?

I was looking here http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze...e/tobacco.html, but I'm far too n00b to know.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by kzm007; 09-25-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #253
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Any tips for smoking a pipe with a deep bowl? I have a pipe that is 2" deep and I can never smoke the last bit without relighting every 3 puffs, I've tried everything, left the ash in, dumped it out, dumped it out and mixed it up and retamped. Is it just too wet from the rest of the smoke?
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 AM   #254
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Quote:
Say wise men, how do y'all tell the difference between tobacco?
You know, is it English, Latkia, VaPer, etc.?

Anyway, I've got Apple Strudel, Bear Blend, Peaches and Cream, Majestic 586, Maple Leaf, and Sweet Dreams (yep, alphabetized ). They're all ribbon cut, all brown or a little darker brown, and I want to try to avoid ghosting in my solitary tobak pipe.

How do I tell the difference, now and in the future?

I was looking here http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze...e/tobacco.html, but I'm far too n00b to know.
well, most of the time people know what they are when they purchase them. hard to know when they're given to you unless you have had experience and heard of them before.
with names like: maple leaf; peaches and cream; apple strudel; sweet dreams, they sound a lot like Aromatics.

www.tobaccoreviews.com has blend descriptions as well.
here's a link to Boswells tobaccos.

Apple Strudel = or is it apple cobbler? either way, it's not flavored with banana.
Bear Blend = Virginia w/ Cherry Carmel flavoring
majestic 586 = burley, virginia, toasted cavendish... doesn't say it's sweetened and nobody has reviewed it yet
maple leaf = maple and vanilla added to cavendish
peaches and cream = peach flavoring added to black cavendish
sweet dreams = virginia and cavendish flavored with "food flavorings that J.M. likes to experiment with."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
Any tips for smoking a pipe with a deep bowl? I have a pipe that is 2" deep and I can never smoke the last bit without relighting every 3 puffs, I've tried everything, left the ash in, dumped it out, dumped it out and mixed it up and retamped. Is it just too wet from the rest of the smoke?
to smoke right away?? if it's moistened from the steam that drains down from the smoked tobacco above it, it would have to dry out before you could re-light it.
it happens... "dottle" is a favorite word of mine.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #255
kzm007

Thanks Curly! Just gonna go with the flow and enjoy it. I've got a feeling they're all similar enough that it doesn't matter.

And FWIW, Bear Blend has a nice little nic kick for a newbie. Had a couple shakes after smoking a pinch of it, but I feel alert, and some of my back pain actually eased up...interesting, really.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #256
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Alright, true NOOB here...

SO I have a Dr. Gabrow Duke bent pipe (I took out the filter) that I smoke occationally. I enjoy the aromatic tobacco that I got at my local B&M, but have yet to get down the 'technique' to true pipe smoking.

Tonight I lit up a bowl, and it tasted odd, had a super loose draw (tobacco flakes were getting in my mouth, yuk!), and something made a crackling sound while I was smoking... I realize I probably need to learn the proper way of smoking, but what caused this bad smoke tonight?? Is it the pipe or me?

I appreciate any help!

aj
RightAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #257
-MG-

Are there any issues (aside from nose ice cycles, and that funny teeth chattering noise) from smoking a pipe in sub-freezing temperatures?

I'll be heading up to north Idaho to visit my inlaws soon, and my FIL and I usually smoke cigars year round despite the cold winters. Should I stick to cigars while wearing 3 layers of clothes and huddling around the patio heater, or will the pipes work just as well?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #258
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Nick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightAJ View Post
Alright, true NOOB here...

SO I have a Dr. Gabrow Duke bent pipe (I took out the filter) that I smoke occationally. I enjoy the aromatic tobacco that I got at my local B&M, but have yet to get down the 'technique' to true pipe smoking.

Tonight I lit up a bowl, and it tasted odd, had a super loose draw (tobacco flakes were getting in my mouth, yuk!), and something made a crackling sound while I was smoking... I realize I probably need to learn the proper way of smoking, but what caused this bad smoke tonight?? Is it the pipe or me?

I appreciate any help!

aj
It sounds like you packed just a tad too loose. However it is always better to pack your pipe on the loose side because all you have to do is tamp it down a bit to tighten it up to where you like the draw.

To answer your more general question of is it the pipe or me I can bet that your inexperience is not helping much. I would say its more you than the pipe. Pipe smoking is a finicky activity and it takes years to master, that being said grabows aren't exactly at the higher end of quality but never the less once you start to learn the intricacies of pipe smoking it will become more enjoyable.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #259
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Nick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MG- View Post
Are there any issues (aside from nose ice cycles, and that funny teeth chattering noise) from smoking a pipe in sub-freezing temperatures?

I'll be heading up to north Idaho to visit my inlaws soon, and my FIL and I usually smoke cigars year round despite the cold winters. Should I stick to cigars while wearing 3 layers of clothes and huddling around the patio heater, or will the pipes work just as well?
Temperature will effect the pipe smoke for sure but most likely because you are puffing like a demon due to the cold. However I don't believe it should damage your pipe in any way, you just may end up with a pretty wet smoke and a bit of tongue bite.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #260
yellowgoat

My ring fell off the Briar part of my pipe. See pic. Can I use crazy glue?