Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #581
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: iPhone Cigar App RELEASED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
I have one more suggestion:

There is a program called redlaser that scans bar codes with in phone camera. I works great.

Could the same premises be used for label recognition?
I have that app. It is amazing, and likely beyond my limited capability to incorporate into Mobile Stogie .

Patience grasshopper
Old 01-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #582
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
I have that app. It is amazing, and likely beyond my limited capability to incorporate into Mobile Stogie .

Patience grasshopper
If you don't ask even God dosen't hear you.
0002S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #583
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
If you don't ask even God dosen't hear you.
fair point!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #584
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road

But even God doesn't use bar codes (or, if he does, I'm in trouble -- can't find mine!)
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #585
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

While I'm busting out suggestions.

Common cigar terms definitions

maybe this:

maybe a Wiki link to the major manufactures or history of?

just some ideas....
0002S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:08 AM   #586
Addiction

Quote:
The Partagas cigars have been added ... but I can't find any info on the RG cigars that you've listed . Got any pointers?
They are in the MRN, I'll send you the page number this evening when I get in.

Its not a new size however, they are repackaged production cigars produced for a vendor. However as a collectability thing, they should be diferentiated.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:37 AM   #587
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Hey Ken,
I don't currently see this as an option so I'll pose it as a request.

I don't know if this ability is in there or not, but I was trying to create seperate entries for Fuente 858 Maduro, Natural, and Claro since I have all three and they are vastly different in flavor.

OK, so my question/suggestion....
In the reference section, during the edit function, as a part of the 'Done' (save) function, can we chose to save as a new cigar? Or possibly have the choice to copy and edit at the beginning?
All for the reasons above. I'd like to create a new cigar without losing the one that is being modified.
I know we can add new, but editing a copy and storing as new is a big time saver.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #588
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Hey Ken,
I don't currently see this as an option so I'll pose it as a request.

I don't know if this ability is in there or not, but I was trying to create seperate entries for Fuente 858 Maduro, Natural, and Claro since I have all three and they are vastly different in flavor.

OK, so my question/suggestion....
In the reference section, during the edit function, as a part of the 'Done' (save) function, can we chose to save as a new cigar? Or possibly have the choice to copy and edit at the beginning?
All for the reasons above. I'd like to create a new cigar without losing the one that is being modified.
I know we can add new, but editing a copy and storing as new is a big time saver.
That's a good idea, and should not take too much for me to implement. I'll take a look. In the meantime, most people just tell me which cigars are missing from the reference and let me do the work . So far, I've been able to keep up within reason (and usually within a day or two), so feel free to let me know what's missing. That way everybody benefits .
Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #589
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Bump for feedback ... might have gotten lost in the follow-on topics

Quote:
Finally getting some real traction on the Review section of the app. Here are a couple of teaser screenshots:

First, the individual record for a review. Note the middle icon on the bottom of the screen; there will be a whole section where you can view, sort, and search for your reviews. There is more text, and other fields further down on the screen when scrolling...

Next, the screen for setting the ratings for Appearance, Construction, Burn, Flavor and Overall. Just a quick tap or slide on each row will set the ratings and fill in the stars...

Last, the familiar text box for notes will now link back to the detailed reviews instead of being hidden in the My Cigars section. This will make it much easier to find all of your reviews, and read through the details...

Lots more to come, but thought I'd get some early feedback ... for example, are those the right categories to set the rating values?

My plan is to initially release an update that allows you to save your own reviews, and email them. A follow-on release will link to mobilestogie.com to share reviews from the app, and download others' reviews as well. Hopefully, it will grow into a good reference source for choosing your cigars while shopping at the brick and morter or online stores .

Feedback appreciated....
Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #590
Addiction

I like the review section except for a couple of points:

- Any way we can pick different categories? I don't grade burn as standalione, instead treating it as part oc construction.

- Is there a limit to the length of the review? Some of us write more than others.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #591
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I think this review section will be great! Will it be possible for us to add our own review categories? (not a show-stopper or anything, I am just curious)
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #592
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
I like the review section except for a couple of points:

- Any way we can pick different categories? I don't grade burn as standalione, instead treating it as part oc construction.

- Is there a limit to the length of the review? Some of us write more than others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I think this review section will be great! Will it be possible for us to add our own review categories? (not a show-stopper or anything, I am just curious)
What categories would you add? Which would you take away? (that's the type of feedback I need ). I want to set it up consistently for everybody (so yes, folks will need to adapt), so that I can then link it to an online database to be able to share reviews. If I have it all customizable, then there will be less value in the sharing aspects (not to mention a nightmare to code).

If you look at some of the online review sites, they tend to keep it pretty simple. I had one for "value", but decided to drop that... thoughts?

As for length of review, you'll be able to add quite a bit of text (no current limit that I have in mind). As long as this remains iPhoneOS only, then it will be limited by your patience to type on the device

Another question: is there value in setting up "First 1/3", "Second 1/3", and "Third 1/3" in addition to "Overall Comments"? So many people tend to do reviews that way, but it might be overkill for an iphone app....
Old 01-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #593
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
What categories would you add? Which would you take away? (that's the type of feedback I need ). I want to set it up consistently for everybody (so yes, folks will need to adapt), so that I can then link it to an online database to be able to share reviews. If I have it all customizable, then there will be less value in the sharing aspects (not to mention a nightmare to code).

Another question: is there value in setting up "First 1/3", "Second 1/3", and "Third 1/3" in addition to "Overall Comments"? So many people tend to do reviews that way, but it might be overkill for an iphone app....
The first, second, and third 1/3 are the categories that I would add. Not sure that I would take any away... Although burn and flavor could be subcategories of these -- not sure you really want to go there (subcategories) though...
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #594
pennjones
amateur afficionado!

First Name: Brad
Trading: (12)
Punch
pennjones is on a distinguished road

The review section looks great! I've just been putting my reviews in the notes section so far.
pennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #595
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

I like the review section.....
I think a possible addition would be the ability to export reviews on their own as well as add those fields (minus the text ramblings) with the inventory .csv files.
That way your inventory exports could be rated on reviews.
The reason for allowing stand alone review exports is so that one can exports all of the detail, as well as text ramblings, for possible review uploads (see SilverFox's Cheap Stick reviews).

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #596
Addiction

Quote:

If you look at some of the online review sites, they tend to keep it pretty simple. I had one for "value", but decided to drop that... thoughts?

As for length of review, you'll be able to add quite a bit of text (no current limit that I have in mind). As long as this remains iPhoneOS only, then it will be limited by your patience to type on the device

I use Apperence, Construction, Flavor, Value and Overall Experience then I average them together. Thats what works for me. I also don't review solidly by thirds so I don' think you need to do that.

However I am in the minority prolly.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #597
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennjones View Post
The review section looks great! I've just been putting my reviews in the notes section so far.
Yeah, but they are buried and somewhat useless there; it was always meant as a stopgap until I could spend the time to 'do it right'. In the new version, you'll be able to browse and search reviews (eventually other peoples' reviews too). Should make it much more useful.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #598
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
I like the review section.....
I think a possible addition would be the ability to export reviews on their own as well as add those fields (minus the text ramblings) with the inventory .csv files.
That way your inventory exports could be rated on reviews.
The reason for allowing stand alone review exports is so that one can exports all of the detail, as well as text ramblings, for possible review uploads (see SilverFox's Cheap Stick reviews).
This is absolutely what I have in mind. Initial release will allow you to email any of your reviews from within the app. You could then use that for uploading whereever you want. I'm checking into how much work it is to have them use html formatting (as an option) so that they would be nicely formatted in the email. But, I have to trade off the amount of work with actually getting something released
Old 01-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #599
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
I use Apperence, Construction, Flavor, Value and Overall Experience then I average them together. Thats what works for me. I also don't review solidly by thirds so I don' think you need to do that.

However I am in the minority prolly.
I think I like those categories the best (I'll probably trade "Burn" for "Value"). And I think I'll try to make the thirds optional, so that you can just type the whole review in the 'overall' section, or tap an icon to open up space for breaking it down by thirds (either that or have it a preference setting).

I always knew the design part of this would be much harder than the coding
Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #600
Addiction

Quote:
I think I like those categories the best (I'll probably trade "Burn" for "Value"). And I think I'll try to make the thirds optional, so that you can just type the whole review in the 'overall' section, or tap an icon to open up space for breaking it down by thirds (either that or have it a preference setting).

I always knew the design part of this would be much harder than the coding
It always is.

It could be worse, you could be doing it for a customer in which case it would be 10x harder.