Old 11-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough
Default HELP, with Ribeye Roast...

I have a Ribeye Roast (6lbs.) that I would like to smoke for Thanksgiving. I would like some recommendations on rub's & smoke time?

I'll be serving Turkey Breast 7lbs (oven), Filet Mignon roast 2lbs.(smoked) & I want to smoke the Ribeye. This would be my first Ribeye & would liek some pointers.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: HELP, with Ribeye Roast...

Roasts are easy. I like Gracie Allen's classic recipe:

1 large Roast of beef
1 small Roast of beef

Take the two roasts and put them in the oven (or smoker). When the little one burns, the big one is done.

Ok, seriously, here are 4 different step-by-step guides/recipes, in the right hand column, under beef:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html#beef
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

You need a good meat thermometer. Almost any spices are good, even just salt and pepper. But a nice crust kicks ass.
You'll need the thermometer to cook it medium rare throughout. You can't cook a standing rib on the fly, you'll cook the life out of it and dry it out. There are formulas that tell you what temperature to cook and for how long for the weight of the cut. They're bullsh1t. You absolutely need a thermometer if you want it to turn out it's best.
Good luck, my man. You made me hungry!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I worked at a steakhouse in college that served prime rib better than I've had anywhere else and I'm even including the major "chains" on par with Shulas and the like.

Their method was to lift the fat cap up and use a bit of vegetable oil all over the top and season with salt, pepper, celery salt (40/40/20 ratio) and then coat with rosemary and thyme all over the top (under/over fat cap). Sear at high heat for like 30 minutes of around 500 and then place in an alto sham at like 180 to get to desired temp.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2 GOLD View Post
I have a Ribeye Roast (6lbs.) that I would like to smoke for Thanksgiving. I would like some recommendations on rub's & smoke time?

I'll be serving Turkey Breast 7lbs (oven), Filet Mignon roast 2lbs.(smoked) & I want to smoke the Ribeye. This would be my first Ribeye & would liek some pointers.

I think I wanna go to Rico's for thanksgiving....
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2 GOLD View Post

this how I do my roasts with potatoes and carrots on my WSM:
• Combine pre-packaged brown gravy mix, Ranch dressing mix, and Italian seasoning mix.
• Place the roast in a disposable foil pan, sprinkle both sides with the seasoning mix, then add 1 cup of beef broth or water.
• Cook uncovered at 240-260°F for two hours, then cover with foil and cook another 5-6 hours until fork tender.

• Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I don't have any suggestions for smoking as I have never smoked a standing rib roast. But I do use a thermometer for all smoking tasks. Get one with a remote probe for ease of use.

For the rub, I'd recommend taking some high quality olive oil and bring it to a warm temp then add rosemary, tarragon, garlic (I prefer ground freeze dried) and maybe some dried cranberries or cherries. Let it sit a good long while to infuse the oil. Marinade the roast in the oil plus smoked course salt overnight and you should be good to go.

Me, I'm cooking a whole 7 rib standing rib roast (local, grass fed) in red wine and tarragon for our Thursday dinner. I'll sprinkle with smoked salt at the 2/3 point.

And I will be using a meat thermometer with a remote.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the 411/recommendations...
Old 11-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
Ubiquitous
Living life at top speed

First Name: Travis
Trading: (6)
Montecristo CoastGuard (Active)
Ubiquitous is on a distinguished road

I could pass a lot of information on about smoking. Instead, I'll send you to this guy: http://mancavemeals.net/

Some great ideas!
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote