Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #21
Wanger

Default Re: Any triathletes here?

My unofficial time was 1hr 39min 35sec. The wife forgot the camera, but there are a few pics I'll post at some point in the near future! Damn that was great, but the swim SUCKED!
Old 07-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #22
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
My unofficial time was 1hr 39min 35sec. The wife forgot the camera, but there are a few pics I'll post at some point in the near future! Damn that was great, but the swim SUCKED!
It's cus you weren't wearing the 'kini!

Congrats my friend! Hell of an accomplishment!
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #23
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

shoot slowtriathlete a pm
Old 07-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #24
Opusfxd
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Opusfxd is on a distinguished road

Great job!
Opusfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #25
Wanger

It'm Monday and I'm a little sore, but not too bad. Still debating on whether or not I will do the Chisago Lakes sprint tri on July 26th. I loved finishing this race.

The swim sucked. I gulped more water than I had hoped to, so I had to make a few pit stops there, adn then it didn't help that my goggles kept fogging up, even with anti-fog on them. But I got through it, and that was the main thing. 17 minutes in the water for .04 miles. Could have done better, but I'll take it.

Transition 1 was simple recovery from the water. Get the wetsuit off (helped for buoyancy) and get to the bike. It was a bit difficult to get the shoes on, but I eventually did it and got moving on the bike. The bike was fairly clear sailing. I passed more people than I got passed by, so I was pretty comfortable with that. 50 minutes on the bike for 15 miles (I'm no Lance Armstrong!).

Transition 2 was easier. Rack the bike, drop the helmet and get to the running route. That was a quick change and went well. I was able to recover some strength while on the bike after the swim. On the run, I went at a pace that was working for me. 26:19 sec for the 3 mile run. As I got closer to the finish line, the crowd was thickening up a bit, and the cheers for everyone finishing was great. It helped to urge me on, and as I knew I was getting closer, my pace picked up. When I saw the timer at the finish line, I gave it everything had left. It wasn't until later when we went to get our times at the results booth that I knew how well I did. Official time 1hr 39min 35.1sec. I'm pleased with the result. Now to only improve my swim and run next year.

Here's the only pic I have so far. My brother an I (both finishers). I'm on the left in the pic.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #26
ahc4353

Congrats!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #27
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Great job on the Triathlon. When I used to swim I never found the anti-fog to work well. I ended up just using a little bit of J&J baby shampoo on the goggles or even just spit into them. Congrats again on the great race.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #28
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Bringing back a post from the dead....

Just finished my first tri of the season.... The bike portion is MTB and it kicked my tail. I was not prepared like I should have been, but I didn't die.... The climbing really took it out of my legs, I have only been on the MTB 1 time since the Fall and my legs felt it.(have been doing some road riding, mostly work commute)

Anyway.... Tis the season for triathlons....

Now it is time to start drinking beer and pick myself out a nice "finished" cigar....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #29
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Triathletes? Yeah, I tried athletics once, and didn't like it.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #30
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Does Drinking - Cussing & Smoking count? If so I am one too and all signed in for the day.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #31
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Bringing back a post from the dead....

Just finished my first tri of the season.... The bike portion is MTB and it kicked my tail. I was not prepared like I should have been, but I didn't die.... The climbing really took it out of my legs, I have only been on the MTB 1 time since the Fall and my legs felt it.(have been doing some road riding, mostly work commute)

Anyway.... Tis the season for triathlons....

Now it is time to start drinking beer and pick myself out a nice "finished" cigar....
Nice!

Now that you've done the dirt tri, you'll have to take a look at the Xterra events! Plus, depending where you are, there are probably tons of other dirt tris... for example in Tempe there is the Pabst Blue Ribbon Off-Road Tri.

Xterra is the way to go - I have yet to do a road tri... dirt is just too much fun!

(also, CBS recently played the 2010 Xterra USA Championships... maybe they'll roll it again so keep an eye on mid-day weekend programming)
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #32
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfandwhisky View Post
Nice!

Now that you've done the dirt tri, you'll have to take a look at the Xterra events! Plus, depending where you are, there are probably tons of other dirt tris... for example in Tempe there is the Pabst Blue Ribbon Off-Road Tri.

Xterra is the way to go - I have yet to do a road tri... dirt is just too much fun!

(also, CBS recently played the 2010 Xterra USA Championships... maybe they'll roll it again so keep an eye on mid-day weekend programming)
XTERRA USA Championships here in September.

Maybe I'll go ride the Sport route in June and see if it is worth getting signed up....
Old 04-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #33
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
XTERRA USA Championships here in September.

Maybe I'll go ride the Sport route in June and see if it is worth getting signed up....
Booya! That sounds like it would be a blast!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #34
Wanger

I've got 2 online for this year, and maybe a 3rd and 4th. All road ones. Might start with a sprint in June, with an Olympic race in July and a Half Ironman following that, and end the season with a nice easy sprint race.

I REALLY got hooked last year. Looking for bike shoes that are a decent price that actually fit my clown feet without having to take out a second mortgage. Will be putting aero bars on the bike at least. Gotta have them for longer distances. I'm also planning on joinging a local tri team too. Yet another addiction.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #35
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

Cohiba

Nice Wanger! That's a good season you've got planned.

My schedule this year will be a bit different than most, so my season is going to be a bit different.

Flagstaff Barn Burner 107 (Mtn bike race) June
Xterra Deuces Wild July
Tour of the White Mountains (Mtn bike race, 36) Sept
PBR Off-Road Sprint Tri Sept/Oct (depends on what weekend)
24 Hours of Moab (Mtn bike race) Oct

That will probably do it for me this year. That first race is coming up really really quickly - need to start the training cycle up again...
Old 04-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #36
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

WOW....Half Ironman is business.... GOOD ON YOU!

As far as shoes, that is a tough one.... Kinda like cigars, what some love....others are not fans of. I have BIG feet, wear Sidi 49 MEGA's on both bikes. Dominator 5's and Zephyr's...

I personally perfer road....which is odd. I would probably rather MTB than just hit the road for a ride. But when putting all three together, the road bike seems to be a nice way for me to relax.....which I cannot do on the swim or run....

I end up having to think too much on the MTN bike....picking lines, cannot seem to get into a groove due to single track and people in the way, which going down is not a HUGE deal....but going up....

Doing a 100 mile MTN ride here in a few weeks. We broke it up A LOT, 4 days of riding, 3 camp stops.... It is vehicle supported and there will be MANY cigars and adult beverages.... Looking forward to it.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #37
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfandwhisky View Post
24 hours of moab (mtn bike race) oct
nice!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #38
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Finished 2nd triathlon(Sprint) of the year yesterday. Michelle(wife) completed her first....very proud of her.

Waiting for times to be posted.... Hoping to have improved on last years, even though conditions were MUCH worse.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #39
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

My buddy and I were training for Triathalons. We wanted to do a half Ironman, the Alcatraz race, and then eventually a full Ironman. But in 2008 I had knee surgery and started back up training for them and it litterally kills my knee to run anything over a mile. He contiuned on and I just go for support to his races.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #40
Wanger

Just finished my first race of the year yesterday. The Manitou Sprint Triathlon. My time was 1:34:06. I was hoping for 1:30 or under, but I just couldn't do it yesterday. Next year!

Bad news for my other tris this year...some pain in my knee for the last ~3/4 mile...puts the Half Iron I'm planning into some doubt. We'll see how things shape up for the rest of the week, though.

...oh, and I DID find bike shoes to fit my clown feet...got a pair of new to me SIDIs on eBay. Love the move to clipless...I feel like it has made a huge difference in my power and efficiency on the bike.