Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Robulous78

Default Aging Room M356 Rondo Review

Hey Guys,
This week I bring you a review on the Aging Room M356 in the Rondo Size.

[IMG] Untitled by Robulous78, on Flickr[/IMG]

Aging Room M356 Rondo
Cigar Info
Frontmark: Rondo
Size: 5 x 50
Wrapper: Habano
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican Long Filler
Classification: Dominican Puro
Aging: 6 Months in 50ct Humidor w/ PG Humidification

Research: The Aging Room M356 is made by Oliveros and was originally intended for the Swag cigar line. Being made from a particular blend of tobaccos that are not in ample supply, The M356 was released as a small batch under the Aging Room name.

Prelight: The stick itself has many noticeable veins with a few small mottled bumps in the wrapper. The wrapper itself has the color of lightly creamed coffee. The pinch test showed no soft spots and the cigar itself was firmly constructed. for it's size the stick had decent weight and feel in my hand. A prelight draw gave flavors of spice and slight pepper.

First 3rd: The stick gave a medium draw with ample smoke output. The most notable flavor being spice and a slight pepper. I would not go so far as to say the stick is spicy but there is a building flavor of pepper in the mouth which I am starting to enjoy. On Retrohale, there is a bouquet of flora that fill the nostrils. The stick is burning evenly, much to my surprise given that most reviewers on other sites say the stick usually gives an off kilter burn. I am much enjoying the start of this stick.

Second 3rd: The spice flavors have peaked in my mouth and, while still present, are becoming less the forefront of this stick. I pick up a bit of pepper here and there on the sides of my tongue occasionally but the primary flavors seem to be heading towards earth with a bit of wood mixed in. little to no oils forming in my mouth for the time being which is both a positive and negative to me because I like a rich oily taste. I will say that the lack of oil is leaving my taste buds open to the earth and wood flavors which I am rather enjoying. As you can tell by the picture, the stick is burning "more or less" even and the slightly dark ash is holding on firm. I will say this stick is a pleasure for those that can retro-hale as the Flora left behind in the nasal cavities is quite pleasant.

Final 3rd: Still pretty much the same flavors. I have quit retro-haling due to the fact that at this point more of the pepper flavors are entering my nostrils and causing them to tingle. I did not have any real issues with the burn other then after loosing the ash it seems the burn line went slightly off kilter but did not require any corrections. Now the nub is warm it has become pliable and tasty to chew on slightly.

Conclusion: Very good cigar, while I could have dealt with a bit more oil I believe it might have taken away from the flavor profile.The spice was tasty yet not overpowering and the pepper gave another nice dimension to the profile. The earthy taste was enjoyable and covered up most, but not all, the wood flavor, which is good for me because I do not particularly like strong wood notes. The stick's construction was solid, and even though after loosing the ash the burn began to see-saw it did not require any touch ups as others have complained about.

I would smoke it again if I had another, that being said with box prices being $139.00 retail (20) or $7.69 for a single stick on Famous, I would rather wait and get them on special or in a sampler. Definitely not a stick to pass up if you like cigars with similar flavor profiles.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
Robulous78

Default Re: Aging Room M356 Rondo Review

Agree?/ Disagree?

Like / Dislike the review?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Kevin(n)tn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (1)
Kevin(n)tn is on a distinguished road

I haven't smoked one yet. Thanks for the review. I will put this one on my list.
Kevin(n)tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Robulous78

Wondering if anyone is seeing this...

Bump...
Old 10-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Anyone who wants to see it can, Rob (61 people have viewed it as of now). Some people may not be interested in this cigar, or may not have a comment on your review. No need to bump your own review.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
bighairlogo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (34)
RA
bighairlogo will become famous soon enoughbighairlogo will become famous soon enough

thanks for the review
bighairlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighairlogo View Post
thanks for the review
HAHAHA... yea... no problem man...
Old 10-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
Wondering if anyone is seeing this...

Bump...
some peeps just read and look at threads, not everybody is in a post count race.

well constructed review by the way. (IMO).
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

You lost me at made by Oliveros. LOL
Old 11-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
ziggy4112003
Sanity pffft boring

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
ziggy4112003 is on a distinguished road

I keep a stock of both the rondo and the presto vitola in my nc humi. The rondo is good smoke the presto is better though more complexity in flavor profile, one of the first reviews i have read that did not mention a orange peel or citrus twang of some sort, but I smoked a rondo at a herf last night and am smoking the presto now as i type this, so yeah the citrus is very muddled in the rondo whereas dominate in the presto so i think I notice the orange peel because it is so dominate is the presto and prolly would not in the rondo otherwise if that makes sense.

Anyway I am glad I did not know Oliveros made these because even though they are 5 dollar sticks both at my local B&M I would have never picked one up but regardless they are both great sticks I would and do recommend them and keep in mind CI gave the presto a 94 rating and CI tends to rate on a lower scale from what I see, not that rating matter, the acid test is the worst I have ever heard anyone about the aginjg room m356 is yeah they are a good little stick. Just my two cents
ziggy4112003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

I saw a few boxes of these at the B&M the other day. Was curious so thanks for the review
Old 11-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
Big Bert
Been a long time coming

First Name: Albert
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
Big Bert will become famous soon enough

Real nice review.. I have one in the humi for about 2 months that I was gifted might have to light it up
Old 11-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #13
Robulous78

What does everyone have against Oliveros?

I have had this and the 8_0 Toro... thought they were both pretty decent for the price point...
Old 02-03-2013, 05:03 AM   #14
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Trading: (62)
papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice

I've smoked 3 or 4 having picked up a 15 stick deal for under $50. I thought they were pretty decent considering the discounted price. Anyway not quite enough to my liking so they are headed the troops way.
papajohn67 is offline   Reply With Quote