Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #41
greytowhite

Default Re: Help. My Stinky is... broken?

I think we have quite different ideas about satisfactory customer service.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #42
greytowhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
WOW. I'm almost positive that you wrote that ad hominem attack without reading the actual problem. Gender aside, I'm not sure that I know many people without access to a CNC fabricator with the ability to "put together an ashtray" when the base in question is NOT SUPPLIED.

If this is "customer service" for you, maligning the physical and mental abilities of your customers, please find another career.

I was referring to the lady's son from the previously linked post when Stinky recruited a BOTL to assist one of his customers, sorry not to have made the more clear.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #43
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I have witnessed first hand some questionable customer service from Stinky. It's good to be loyal to friends, but in this case, several long time members here have experiences to the contrary.

One of the experiences was with a friend who ordered (directly) a floor stand model. It was missing the bolt to screw the stand into. Stinky suggested that he go to a hardware store and buy the 15 cent bolt, and then have someone weld it on. More importantly, the tone of the reply was basically treating the customer like an annoying, whiny moron.

If the customer is whiny because the item he paid for came incomplete, and it is the customer's responsibility to purchase parts and weld them on to make said merchandise complete and functional, well, then feel free to label me "high maintenance".

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #44
greytowhite

I am sorry to hear that his customer service has declined so markedly. It has honestly been about 3 years since I've dealt with the man in person and in that time it sounds as if his product quality issues with outsourcing his manufacturing to India have continued. Without an in-country factory it is extremely cost ineffective to take care of returns, I understand where he's coming from as a businessman, he probably is taking all of these calls personally and is frustrated beyond belief. I get it, it's hard being pulled in that many directions.

Regarding a new career, believe me I'm taking steps to get out of customer service ASAP. It is a soul crushing, Sisyphean effort to be pleasant on a daily basis and deal with stupidity. What I have stated is a rather honest assessment of anyone working in customer service, I do not know a single person working customer service that does not curse their customers behind their backs and to each other. There is a reason that health insurers make these customer service only companies pay higher rates, almost everyone eats and smokes to get over the stressful nature of customer service.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #45
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytowhite View Post
Stinky is a very pleasant man in person and he obviously is passionate about his business and wants to provide a quality product at a good price to his customers. I know it is hard to take these things into consideration as a customer, the phrase "The customer is always right" has ingrained a sense of entitlement to many people. I don't mean to offend anyone but, the customer is not always right and can sometimes be very difficult to deal with. Having someone dump their frustrations on you daily is degrading to the soul. I try to cultivate patience in my daily life, I know it's hard to detach emotional investment from material goods as we did work to acquire these things.
First off, I never asked for anything free. I had no problem paying for a base.
Second, I'm glad you had a positive relationship with him, I did not.

If you were the Customer Service rep I talked to, I'd stop using that companies products, as I almost did with Stinky. Honestly, if you're an asshole, keep our product. Maybe Stinky should work on quality control (Which based on posts' I've read, is lacking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I assume from your post that you know (have met) him and you think him pleasant. Many others have as well and think otherwise.

A lot of the dissatisfaction from the members here is based on first hand experience. Not getting satisfactory customer service on defective merchandise is not a sense of entitlement. It is wanting to recieve what you paid for. If you look at a business like Palio, now THAT is how a company stands behind its merchandise.
Well said Peter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
If this is "customer service" for you, maligning the physical and mental abilities of your customers, please find another career.
Quite true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greytowhite View Post
I am sorry to hear that his customer service has declined so markedly. It has honestly been about 3 years since I've dealt with the man in person and in that time it sounds as if his product quality issues with outsourcing his manufacturing to India have continued. Without an in-country factory it is extremely cost ineffective to take care of returns, I understand where he's coming from as a businessman, he probably is taking all of these calls personally and is frustrated beyond belief. I get it, it's hard being pulled in that many directions.

Regarding a new career, believe me I'm taking steps to get out of customer service ASAP. It is a soul crushing, Sisyphean effort to be pleasant on a daily basis and deal with stupidity. What I have stated is a rather honest assessment of anyone working in customer service, I do not know a single person working customer service that does not curse their customers behind their backs and to each other. There is a reason that health insurers make these customer service only companies pay higher rates, almost everyone eats and smokes to get over the stressful nature of customer service.
No offense but quite whining. We all do crap we don't want to at work. Man up and be thankful you have a job.

Also you throwing a fit and insults at people isn't your best bet on a solid introduction to the forum.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #46
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
One of the four fingers fell off my Stinky yesterday. I am thinklng of filing a lawsuit.

As long as you still have at least one stinky finger, you're doing OK. Much more age and you might find you miss it.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #47
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
One of the experiences was with a friend who ordered (directly) a floor stand model. It was missing the bolt to screw the stand into. Stinky suggested that he go to a hardware store and buy the 15 cent bolt, and then have someone weld it on. More importantly, the tone of the reply was basically treating the customer like an annoying, whiny moron.
I had planned to stay quiet, but the same exact situation happened to me.
I decided not to go to the hardware store, and just frankenstiened it together from parts I had around the garage.
When I told Stinky, I put it together with some nuts, bolts, and a washer I had lying around, He told me he didn't believe me.
He said he couldn't for the life of him figure out why I would use a washer, and that I had to send him a picture to prove it.
He never got a picture from me, or another nickel of my business.

FWIW, I met Stinky, and found him to be a pleasant enough man, but that doesn't mean he knows the first thing about customer service!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #48
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Quote:
...and he obviously is passionate about his business and wants to provide a quality product at a good price to his customers.
Of that there is no doubt.

Quote:
Stinky is a very pleasant man in person
When he's playing salesman and/ or promoter of his product, he may be able to charm the balls off a brass monkey.

Speaking as someone that worked for him, I can assure you: His philosophy on certain aspects of interpersonal relationships seriously leaves something to be desired. My respect for this forum and my personal decorum places me in the position of not getting into a personal attack of his personality, regardless of the enormous arsenal of ammunition I hold in which to do so.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #49
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brlesq View Post
As long as you still have at least one stinky finger, you're doing OK. Much more age and you might find you miss it.
Rruer words may have never been spoken.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #50
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Update on the update:
I talked with Stinky more, after he saw my post in here, and realized I wasn't quite happy with the way things played out (He thought I was gonna take him up on sending it back, and buying one for that price from him.)

At his request I called his cell... and had an hour long talk where we cleared the air and shot the ****. He's a really nice guy actually. He again offered to sell one at the discounted price, and that he had found a brown base he'd give me. He doesn't do the assembly, nor is the assembly done near him (Which I had thought it was), so it's not like he can just walk behind his house and grab a base. Really nice guy. He reminded me of my Father in law haha.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #51
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks View Post
Update on the update:
I talked with Stinky more, after he saw my post in here, and realized I wasn't quite happy with the way things played out (He thought I was gonna take him up on sending it back, and buying one for that price from him.)

At his request I called his cell... and had an hour long talk where we cleared the air and shot the ****. He's a really nice guy actually. He again offered to sell one at the discounted price, and that he had found a brown base he'd give me. He doesn't do the assembly, nor is the assembly done near him (Which I had thought it was), so it's not like he can just walk behind his house and grab a base. Really nice guy. He reminded me of my Father in law haha.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #52
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Bill.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #53
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

See it can all work out.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #54
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Update on the update:

Meh.

**** happens. It always does. How a business immediately reacts and deals with it is what defines and separates them.

When a business handles that first chance poorly and has to be called out on the carpet, pointed to a public discussion of their many similar poorly handled incidents ultimately resulting in a limp wristed phone call, that's not customer service to be praised, it's cover their ass back paddling of what they should have done right the first time.

Color me unimpressed.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #55
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Meh.

**** happens. It always does. How a business immediately reacts and deals with it is what defines and separates them.

When a business handles that first chance poorly and has to be called out on the carpet, pointed to a public discussion of their many similar poorly handled incidents ultimately resulting in a limp wristed phone call, that's not customer service to be praised, it's cover their ass back paddling of what they should have done right the first time.

Color me unimpressed.

Being in customer service myself, I have to agree 100%

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #56
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Update on the update:

Why not send you a exchange a new (free) one for the crap one? <I would, and yes I have ran a business>Didn't you buy one already?

He may want to find a different sweat shop to have these made. I think I will retire my stinky today, There are too many good company's out there to support ones with crap customer service ethics and Integrity.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #57
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

While it would have been much better if these issues would have been handled right the first times, I will give Stinky some credit for at least making an effort to right this last case.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #58
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
One of the four fingers fell off my Stinky yesterday. I am thinklng of filing a lawsuit.
Don't forget to include punitive damages for emotional distress, future therapy to relieve the emotional scars, etc.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #59
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Update on the update:

Glad this resolved...I've met Stinky and shared a smoke or 15 with him at EPIC last year...nice guy...
Old 10-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #60
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Meh.

Color me unimpressed.
What I dont think you guys fully understand. Bill (Stinky) does not deal with daily sales and distribution. It is controlled by a company in Miami. Bill doesnt have control over what websites like CI and Monster does. If he warranties the ashtray, those sellers have made their profit and not have to take care of these issues.