Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #41
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The LGC ping lighter

Haha, yeah, that was the exact site I had found. I'm guesing the gray/white ones are the ones we need.

Also, that OpusX Dupont lighter is a thing of beauty...if only that one was $24.95 too, haha
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #42
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Also, that OpusX Dupont lighter is a thing of beauty...if only that one was $24.95 too, haha
Yeah. I like the black one, but for $4500 for the set, I think I can live w/o it.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #43
Giants85
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Justin
Trading: (4)
Montecristo
Giants85 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
I was telling the poster "if he" wanted to return the item he has 3 days and they will take care of it. I am looking at mine and there is nothing on the bottom of the lighter that has a phillips head screw. There is the small handle that you lift with your fingernail to unscrew the filler head like the ST Dupont and you recharge it very easily...screw the filler back in and wait for a couple of minutes and it lights first time. The handle is used to adjust the flame so as far as clipping, tightening or bending of anything on this item I don't see anything that is going to bind unless someone cross threads the filler back into the lighter.

Anytime I ever disputed a CC charge it was for good reasons and it was never contested.
I believe the philips head screw that they are referring to would be the one in the cap of the lighter, where the "PING" is actually originating from.

It seems that there is a strip of metal inside the cap or head of the lighter which is actually causing the PING(possibly even some sort of a bell behind it???), some adjustment/modification here could lead to a better PING.

My lighter PINGS if I hit the head, while open, with my finger.

Never seen an ST Dupont in person, is this how they generate their PING as well?
Giants85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #44
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants85 View Post
I believe the philips head screw that they are referring to would be the one in the cap of the lighter, where the "PING" is actually originating from.

It seems that there is a strip of metal inside the cap or head of the lighter which is actually causing the PING(possibly even some sort of a bell behind it???), some adjustment/modification here could lead to a better PING.

My lighter PINGS if I hit the head, while open, with my finger.

Never seen an ST Dupont in person, is this how they generate their PING as well?
Nice detective work...will have to "play" around with it.
Incidentally, the "ping" was never supposed to exist; in the 50's, when S. T. Dupont first started making lighters, a mistake was made, and two cogs accidentally ended up generating excess friction. This resulted in an unwanted noise whenever the lighter was opened. The company, striving for perfection, understandably wanted this mistake fixed. However, it didn't take long for the "ping" to work its magic on customers, and needless to say, the company left the mistake in place. The "ping" might be what makes S. T. Dupont lighters distinctive, but it is not what makes them special, what gives them their charm. The lighters are a case of the whole being greater than the sum; each aspects of the lighter, the weight, the "ping," the high quality of materials, the care and precision that goes into the assembly, are all special in their own right. But, when put together these individual parts create a lighter unlike any other.

courtesy of http://blogcritics.org/tastes/articl...an-s-t/page-2/
Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #45
ripper
Busy doing nothing

First Name: Bart
Trading: (12)
Cohiba
ripper will become famous soon enough

Cigary whomped me upside the head with a generous gift of this exceedingly nice lighter. It's almost too nice to use.
Just what this old Bart needs - another addition to my addiction. Gary has helped me matriculate from matchbooks to BIC lighters to a shelf of butane lighters. Thanks professor -- and watch for those big brown trucks!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #46
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

How would one go about replacing the flint? I have never used a lighter like this. Only torches!
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #47
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Buy the replacement flints that were posted earlier in the thread then that little slide on the top of the lighter slides back and you would drop the replacement flint in there. If you look closely you can see the flint in the chamber and how it's positioned.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #48
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper View Post
Cigary whomped me upside the head with a generous gift of this exceedingly nice lighter. It's almost too nice to use.
Just what this old Bart needs - another addition to my addiction. Gary has helped me matriculate from matchbooks to BIC lighters to a shelf of butane lighters. Thanks professor -- and watch for those big brown trucks!
Oh no...Bart, tell me you're not going to release the Cigar Hounds of Hell again? I'm still black and blue and bitten from the last blast you sent to me.

Quote:
Buy the replacement flints that were posted earlier in the thread then that little slide on the top of the lighter slides back and you would drop the replacement flint in there. If you look closely you can see the flint in the chamber and how it's positioned.
For us mechanically challenged who don't ever replace flints...is there something written with pictures? I'm speaking for Bart of course.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #49
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Quote:
For us mechanically challenged who don't ever replace flints...is there something written with pictures? I'm speaking for Bart of course.
I can take some pictures friday and post them up, but until then, really all you do is slide that ribbed thing on the very top of the lighter (while it's open) towards the hinge of the lid. If you look down from the top, you'll see a hole right next to where the flame comes out. That's where the flint is (you'll see a tiny cylinder laying on it's side). If you tipped the lighter upside down while holding that slide back, the flint falls out (do this over a white piece of paper or something so you can easily find it).

To put it back in, just drop it in and make sure it lays on it's side and not up and down. If you don't get it in right, your lighter won't spark.

Hope that helps until I can get some pics up.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #50
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Thanks!!
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #51
Cigary

Quote:
I can take some pictures friday and post them up, but until then, really all you do is slide that ribbed thing on the very top of the lighter (while it's open) towards the hinge of the lid. If you look down from the top, you'll see a hole right next to where the flame comes out. That's where the flint is (you'll see a tiny cylinder laying on it's side). If you tipped the lighter upside down while holding that slide back, the flint falls out (do this over a white piece of paper or something so you can easily find it).

To put it back in, just drop it in and make sure it lays on it's side and not up and down. If you don't get it in right, your lighter won't spark.

Hope that helps until I can get some pics up.
Thanks Brian...ya hear that Bart, he's going to put pictures up for you.

( taking notes just in case no pictures don't come up)
Old 05-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #52
rogerga

need to get one of those...
Old 05-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #53
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
How would one go about replacing the flint? I have never used a lighter like this. Only torches!
Mine just came in today, nice looking lighter and a fun little toy.

To replace the flint: Flip the top of the lighter open. and on the top portion of the lighter, where the grooves are, slide it back and then drop in a new flint. It actually looks like a zippo flint will fit in there. I; ll know for sure when I get home.

And be careful when adjusting the screw in the cap, it is VERY VERY soft. I kinda stripped mine already
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #54
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

It's a great looking lighter! It lit it's first cigar last night. A My Father Le Bijou!
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #55
ripper
Busy doing nothing

First Name: Bart
Trading: (12)
Cohiba
ripper will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks Brian...ya hear that Bart, he's going to put pictures up for you.

( taking notes just in case no pictures don't come up)
This is my idea of pictures:
Old 05-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #56
cigarlvr
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (11)
cigarlvr is on a distinguished road

One of the ones I got the lid doesnt close 100% perfect anyone else have that issue and is there a quick fix other than sending it back?
cigarlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #57
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarlvr View Post
One of the ones I got the lid doesnt close 100% perfect anyone else have that issue and is there a quick fix other than sending it back?
That is what the 3 day warranty is all about...within the 3 days you send it back to Atlantic after the 3 days you send it back to the manufacturer. The lid on mine is pretty much perfect and sorry that yours doesn't close right...regardless of the price of any product if you aren't happy with it a return is in order. Keep us posted if you do send it back as I'd like to see how well their CS handles it. It's not enough to sell a product it's the service after the sale.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #58
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

If you unscrew the bottom fill valve there is a threaded insert that you can take a flathead screwdriver and loosen slightly. If you take a very small flathead and unscrew the one holding the flame adjustment part slightly also, the lighter lid will sit more flush. I did that and avoided having to send mine back in, paying the shipping and waiting for the new one to come haha.

P.S. I might finally get a chance to take some pics for a tutorial on the lighter this weekend haha
Old 05-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #59
Cigary

Quote:
If you unscrew the bottom fill valve there is a threaded insert that you can take a flathead screwdriver and loosen slightly. If you take a very small flathead and unscrew the one holding the flame adjustment part slightly also, the lighter lid will sit more flush. I did that and avoided having to send mine back in, paying the shipping and waiting for the new one to come haha.

P.S. I might finally get a chance to take some pics for a tutorial on the lighter this weekend haha
You Da Man Brian...resident LGC Lighter expert. Saving this thread for future reference. Can't wait for the pic tutorial...for Bart, of course.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #60
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Lol, only reason is because...I've already taken it apart trying to figure out how it works and how to change the ping rofl