Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road
Default Vinotemp modifications

OK I will keep it short and to the point.

I have a Vinotemp that has been converted fairly recently, thanks to Forrest a.k.a Golfnut. I recently fixed my computer and the guy at the shop gave me a handful of PC fans. I want to integrate these into my humidor.

My question is can anyone provide a link of how to install? I seem to remember a BOTL giving a step by step turorial. I need specifics as it pertains to what power supply unit to use, as well as how to use a timing device as well. I don't want to plug in the vinotemp all the time, so having the fans on a separate power source would be ideal.

Any input or links provided would be greatly appreciated.
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Vinotemp modifications

what i thought about doing in mine was checking the voltage on the light inside. my vino is not thermo so i dont plug it in but if the light fixture that is inside gives off the required voltage to run a small fan or 2 i was gonna hard wire the fans to that and leave the temp setting on 0ff. then i can plug the vino in and use a cheap walmart timer to give power to the vino for 15 mintues every 3 or 4 hours.

that is just one option that you could look into.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

RA

How can you turn your temp setting off without unplugging the unit? Don't know if I have that option. I have the 12bottle unit. If I can do that then great, but I don't see that I can leave the light on without unplugging. Do you mean only turn the vino and fans on every 3 or 4 hours?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76GTFan View Post
How can you turn your temp setting off without unplugging the unit? Don't know if I have that option. I have the 12bottle unit. If I can do that then great, but I don't see that I can leave the light on without unplugging. Do you mean only turn the vino and fans on every 3 or 4 hours?
honestly i dont have a vino i have a avanti that is not thermo electric. mine has a knob where you set the temp and one of the settings is off. the light on my vino has a little switch so you can turn it on or off.

if yours doesnt have a "off" option or a switch for your light then im sorry i couldnt be much help. i was just trying to think out side the box before you had to go getting power supplies and running a bunch of wire.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
TXRebel
Have My Own Room

First Name: Cary
Trading: (12)
TXRebel has disabled reputation

You need to match the fans voltage with the “output” voltage of an AC Adapter. The AC Adapter also needs an amperage rating equal to or higher than the fan. Most computer case fans have a sticker that shows the voltage and amperage.

If I remember right, Shilala did a step by step, with pics, on the old site. Try sending him a pm.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
honestly i dont have a vino i have a avanti that is not thermo electric. mine has a knob where you set the temp and one of the settings is off. the light on my vino has a little switch so you can turn it on or off.

if yours doesnt have a "off" option or a switch for your light then im sorry i couldnt be much help. i was just trying to think out side the box before you had to go getting power supplies and running a bunch of wire.
My light has an electric on/off button on the front. I can't turn off the thermo without unplugging the unit. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

What makes you feel you need increased air circulation in such a small wine cooler? I have two 28 bottles Vinotemps and have not used any fans in the past two years. I did use Oust fans when I first set them up, but the way they ate batteries I just took them out. I have not noticed any difference in the way my cigars smoke. Remember its not the Rh of the air that matters, only the Rh inside the boxes or trays.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
What makes you feel you need increased air circulation in such a small wine cooler? I have two 28 bottles Vinotemps and have not used any fans in the past two years. I did use Oust fans when I first set them up, but the way they ate batteries I just took them out. I have not noticed any difference in the way my cigars smoke. Remember its not the Rh of the air that matters, only the Rh inside the boxes or trays.
Why? OCD? I don't know.
You may have a point. JUst looked like a good idea. And inexpensive.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

I'm with Bob on this one. Too small to worry about it. If you are really OCD you can look up a thread I did here on my mods. But I will say that over time my computer fans have died one way or the other and I am down to one and don't think it does much to my larger 28 bottle vino.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I have an unplugged cigar cabinet, too. I call mine an ice chest.

Really, you have a wine cooler and you don't want it plugged IN?
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I have an unplugged cigar cabinet, too. I call mine an ice chest.

Really, you have a wine cooler and you don't want it plugged IN?
I have two Vino's unplugged. Last summer was very cool in Cali and I left them unplugged. I found no difference in the way my cigars smoked so I will probably leave them unplugged this year unless it gets crazy hot but usually in Napa it only gets above 100 for a few days in a row.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Quote:
I have two Vino's unplugged. Last summer was very cool in Cali and I left them unplugged. I found no difference in the way my cigars smoked so I will probably leave them unplugged this year unless it gets crazy hot but usually in Napa it only gets above 100 for a few days in a row.
Listen to Bob! He's wise!

I have done the same with mine, and while I don't have the investment Bob does, my cigars is smokin' fine!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote