Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #21
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Packer fan thought

I don't think that defensively there are injury problems, coordinator problems, or lack of talent.

I heard someone make a statement today that has a ring of truth to it.

It went something like... "The Pack defense knows what the offense will do, so they're only playing lackluster. When they know they need a stop they do it. But, they don't yet feel the need, so why expend the same effort."

If you watch, you could almost get that impression.

I don't know what to say.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #22
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packer fan thought

The Steelers seem to play that way on both sides of the ball. It's maddening.
Just look at the loss this weekend. They had the whole game to put the game away, all the chances in the world. It's like there's no urgency or killer instinct.
It used to be they'd come out and step on your neck and not let you up for 60 minutes. Now they'd rather dance and have a nice cup of espresso.
In the end I suppose it boils down to "who wants it most?" It just doesn't seem like that anymore.

I suppose we have to realize that the guys don't practice nearly as much as they used to and get far fewer reps to get their timing together. That's why tandems like Rodgers and Jennings are so important and successful. They have years of experience together, tons of reps, they think alike, they're on the same page, and each one knows what the other is going to do.
Lots of the guys on these clubs are just feeling around in the dark compared to how they used to get prepared. It's hard to develop a locker-room spirit if the guys are never in the locker room, ya know?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #23
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Packer fan thoughts

I think my youngest, Timothy, hit it on the head too. "Practice once a week with full pads? Geez, I wish we had it that easy. And I'm not even paid as a high school freshman. How can you be good at hitting if you don't practice it? Maybe that's why the tackling sucked on Sunday."

Hmm? Is the new CBA part of the problem?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #24
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I think my youngest, Timothy, hit it on the head too. "Practice once a week with full pads? Geez, I wish we had it that easy. And I'm not even paid as a high school freshman. How can you be good at hitting if you don't practice it? Maybe that's why the tackling sucked on Sunday."

Hmm? Is the new CBA part of the problem?
But it's a problem that's equally shared by all 32 teams so I refuse to use that as an excuse when there are teams out there that are tackling well. If anything, if I were to venture a guess as to why our pass defense took about 18 steps back this season from the past couple, it's the pass rush (or lack thereof). Cullen Jenkins is now registering sacks on the dream team, and there's nobody opposite Matthews to put any heat on the quarterback. Matthews had as many sacks in the first five quarters last year as he does in half a season this year. He's putting consistent pressure on the quarterback, but there's nobody there to clean it up or vice versa.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #25
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

I wasn't ever really sure why we let Cullen Jenkins go.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #26
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Because the Eagles were willing to give him 5 million a year and Green Bay wanted his services for 4 million a year, maybe?
Maybe they figured since they got to the Super Bowl without him they could do without him (even though he was back for the end of the season)?
I'd guess it goes right back to point 1. Money.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #27
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I guess in Ted Thompson's infinite wisdom he thought some combination of Neal (who's quickly joining Justin Harrell in the candybone HOF)/Wilson/Wynn/Guy could fill the void. That, and he knew he had to save some coin somewhere to get some guys locked up long term, which is still a work in progress.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #28
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Because the Eagles were willing to give him 5 million a year and Green Bay wanted his services for 4 million a year, maybe?
Maybe they figured since they got to the Super Bowl without him they could do without him (even though he was back for the end of the season)?
This is one area that I'm envious of the Steelers. Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward are going to make sure that the Steel Curtain is alive and well for years to come. Yes, the Packers have Raji and I wouldn't trade him for darn near anyone, but there's nothing (young) of worth at DE.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #29
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I guess in Ted Thompson's infinite wisdom he thought some combination of Neal (who's quickly joining Justin Harrell in the candybone HOF)/Wilson/Wynn/Guy could fill the void. That, and he knew he had to save some coin somewhere to get some guys locked up long term, which is still a work in progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
This is one area that I'm envious of the Steelers. Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward are going to make sure that the Steel Curtain is alive and well for years to come. Yes, the Packers have Raji and I wouldn't trade him for darn near anyone, but there's nothing (young) of worth at DE.
I hope your 2nd quote pans out and someone steps up opposite Matthews to give some stress to quarterbacks.

Yes, money is a big motivator.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #30
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
I hope your 2nd quote pans out and someone steps up opposite Matthews to give some stress to quarterbacks.

Yes, money is a big motivator.
The last I looked, the three players that had the most sacks on the team after Matthews were the two inside linebackers and a safety. No bueno.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #31
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Packers are looking unstoppable tonight as they just scored another TD to make it 24-0 over the Vikings. Their "D" looks up to par as well.

If #74 Marshall Newhouse can just get it together against Jarred Allan, we'll be better at the "O".

Old 11-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #32
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Packers are looking unstoppable tonight as they just scored another TD to make it 24-0 over the Vikings. Their "D" looks up to par as well.

If #74 Marshall Newhouse can just get it together against Jarred Allan, we'll be better at the "O".

I have no stake in this game as I am not a fan of either squad but Jared Allen is one bad motha F-er!
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #33
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cort View Post
I have no stake in this game as I am not a fan of either squad but Jared Allen is one bad motha F-er!
Dudes pure energy. Just don't want him chasing my a$$. Just sayin

Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #34
rebelknight
Feeling at Home

First Name: John
Trading: (1)
rebelknight will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Spoke a bit too soon. I bet Cobb wishes he had that one back. I do like how he responded by just exploding on the following kick off though. The kid has excellent potential. Even with the muffed punt Packers rolling as I expected. Really enjoying this game.
rebelknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #35
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Quote:
Dudes pure energy. Just don't want him chasing my a$$. Just sayin

I'm with you on that one, Mark.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #36
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cort View Post
I'm with you on that one, Mark.
...He can chase Wii' a$$ though

Old 11-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #37
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about

Enjoying Rodgers sealing my FF Victory! Also hope the Packers are undefeated when we beat them in the NFC Championship in Green Bay! NINERS!!!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #38
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road

packers vs pats in the superbowl would be insane!!
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #39
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant & 49er Fan View Post
Enjoying Rodgers sealing my FF Victory! Also hope the Packers are undefeated when we beat them in the NFC Championship in Green Bay! NINERS!!!!!
Not in Green Bay Jaime

Old 11-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #40
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Packer "D" came to play tonight. Nice