Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Packer fan thoughts

OK, they are now officially 8-0. Did I really think it would go this long? No way. Let's face it, the defense is really stinking up the place - at least in yardage - they get the job done to win games, coming up with big plays to do so, but it is ugly.

I must say that I am pleased to be a Packer fan.

I have been a fan for my whole life. I remember the lean years after Lombardi left. I cheered for lackluster teams. I had individuals who were glimmering start in those dark times, and that made them fun to watch even then. And of course, hope springs eternal.

Then there were the 1990. Favre was fun to watch and the Pack was back. It was great to see them play and they had some great teams. Favre was an exuberant boy on the field, but he was just as likely to sink you as raise you to the heights of glory.

I must say that I am really enjoying watching Mr. Rodgers even more. You're not praying every time the ball leaves his hands, hoping it ends up in the hand of someone wearing green&gold.

I am also very enthused about James Starks, I think he could be very good.

I will admit that I am not sure where the Pack will go this year. I have great hopes, but I am also a realist. We cannot continue to play defense as we are, that's gotta stiffen up. Wherever it may be, I am expecting an exciting season.

Go Pack!

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
rebelknight
Feeling at Home

First Name: John
Trading: (1)
rebelknight will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Packer fan thought

I agree that the defense doesn't look great and they give up too many yards and in most games points. That being said I'm truly excited about this team because the offense looks as good as it can be and I think with 8 games left the defense still has time to right themselves. Also the defense has given up a lot but they have also made the big play when it matters in all of the close games. That kind of composure shouldn't be overlooked. So from a pure numbers stand point the defense is a little scary but from a play stand point they are coming out with the big plays late in the game. And I don't really care if it's by a point or 50 points, a win is still a win.
rebelknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

My thoughts are that there's not one team in the NFL this year that looks, "complete". Sooner or later getting in all these shootouts is going to backfire, but it's nice seeing this team come out in the second half week in and week out and put the hammer down. What's bothersome is that they've looked pedestrian against the run the past few weeks, whereas nobody was running on them (effectively) in the beginning of the season. If teams can sustain drives by running the ball, they can play keep-away from Rodgers, much like teams have done with Manning in the past. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm more concerned about their deficiencies on run defense than their pass defense.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

The game last night was crazy. I am glad that they were able to pull it off in the end. Proud to be a Cheesehead at heart.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelknight View Post
I agree that the defense doesn't look great and they give up too many yards and in most games points. That being said I'm truly excited about this team because the offense looks as good as it can be and I think with 8 games left the defense still has time to right themselves. Also the defense has given up a lot but they have also made the big play when it matters in all of the close games. That kind of composure shouldn't be overlooked. So from a pure numbers stand point the defense is a little scary but from a play stand point they are coming out with the big plays late in the game. And I don't really care if it's by a point or 50 points, a win is still a win.
A win is a win, this is most certainly true.

I just wish I didn't have to sweat it so bad, wondering if the "big" play is going to happen to stop a drive. I'd rather know that the D was going to step up and get it done.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBQTEE1 View Post
The game last night was crazy. I am glad that they were able to pull it off in the end. Proud to be a Cheesehead at heart.
Are you a Cheesehead? Or a Packer fan?

I am a Packer fan and I love cheese, all kinds of cheese.

However, I will never be a Cheesehead. Seriously, yellow Swiss cheese? That's just wrong. And it looks so corny on people's heads.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
My thoughts are that there's not one team in the NFL this year that looks, "complete". Sooner or later getting in all these shootouts is going to backfire, but it's nice seeing this team come out in the second half week in and week out and put the hammer down. What's bothersome is that they've looked pedestrian against the run the past few weeks, whereas nobody was running on them (effectively) in the beginning of the season. If teams can sustain drives by running the ball, they can play keep-away from Rodgers, much like teams have done with Manning in the past. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm more concerned about their deficiencies on run defense than their pass defense.
This is true, there are no "complete" teams.

I hope the shoot-out method doesn't backfire, but you are probably correct.

Although, I don't know that the Manning scenario fits, for he didn't have as many weapons to throw to as does Mr. Rodgers.

I also want it clearly stated that I have problems with the defense, PERIOD! Run defense stinks the last few weeks, and the pass defense hasn't been decent all season.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

In my eyes, I can't see anything but replay of Super Bowl 45 this year.
If that does pan out, the Pack's lack of defense and the improvements in Pittsburgh's offense is going to make the difference.
I have to say that I am enjoying NFL football more this year than any of the past five. The parity is such that any team can win any week. There is so much individual talent that every week a new, almost unheard of player steps up and makes a huge impact. There are no juggernauts, just a lot of really good football.
I'm getting so much pleasure out of watching these small, special groupings. Rodgers and Jennings. Roethlisberer and Antonio Brown. Tom Brady and Aaron Hernandez and Ron Gronkowski. Cam Newton!!! Wow. Carson Palmer finally getting a long-awaited chance to make a difference.
There are so many young quarterbacks cutting their teeth, Jackie Battle is an emergent great big back who could be this generation's John Riggins. I could go on forever.
This year has so much more than just "root for the home team". It's just incredible, frustrating, elating, exciting, and full of drama.
And now TO is in trouble again and Dez Bryant is replacing TO in the crazy department. YES!!!
God, how I love football.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Scott, you are correct in the fact that there is a lot of crazy talent emerging and a bunch of good football to watch. But, I'm still a Packer-fan-addict.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #10
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

You know, I'm probably the most nervous Packer fan on the planet. These games decided as time expires are going to kill me. Towards the middle of the 3rd quarter of last nights game, I couldn't take it any longer. I had to get in my car, drive around town and listen to a Keb Mo cd. Due to the fall back stuff with the time, it was totally dark outside. An observation I noted.....EVERYBODY in town now has a massive big screen television and they all had them tuned to the Packers. As I passed house after house, it became obvious that I could not drive by without pausing and taking a look. It's surprising how easy it is to watch a game and actually catch the score from the street. No, I'm not a peeping Tom. I couldn't help myself. Some sort of Packer fan instinct, I guess. I finally decided it would be best to listen the rest of the game on the radio. A nice ending for me, but it did give me a bunch more gray hairs.

Just so you know, I live and die by the Packers but they do create quirky tendencies that I'm not terribly willing to admit. I'm a fan.

Another thought. Those with incredibly large flat panel displays really ought to close their shades at night.

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Scott, you are correct in the fact that there is a lot of crazy talent emerging and a bunch of good football to watch. But, I'm still a Packer-fan-addict.
Oh, I get that completely. I love my Steelers something awful. It's hard for me to find something to wear that doesn't say Steelers on it and I married the only woman in the world who loves the Steelers and football as much as me (it was the first question on the datin application I made her fill out, lol.)
I'm just ecstatic how good football has been as a whole this year.
Between three fantasy teams, two 33 leagues, two survivor leagues, constant rotowire text messages on my phone, four newsfeeds on my desktop homepage, a solid 12 hours in front of the tv every Sunday and my Monday night games, and an HD antenna I mounted so I can get all the secondary market broadcasts, I qualify as a pretty good all-around fan, too.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
This is true, there are no "complete" teams.

I hope the shoot-out method doesn't backfire, but you are probably correct.

Although, I don't know that the Manning scenario fits, for he didn't have as many weapons to throw to as does Mr. Rodgers.

I also want it clearly stated that I have problems with the defense, PERIOD! Run defense stinks the last few weeks, and the pass defense hasn't been decent all season.

Sure he didn't/doesn't have as many weapons (who does?) but the philosophy of, "keep away" is the same. If Rodgers isn't on the field, he can't score points.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Sure he didn't/doesn't have as many weapons (who does?) but the philosophy of, "keep away" is the same. If Rodgers isn't on the field, he can't score points.
I will grant you, that is a complet truism.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
I will grant you, that is a complet truism.

The Packers this year remind me of the 2009 New Orleans Saints. Shaky defense that was propped up by causing a lot of turnovers, and a quarterback playing out of this world. Let's hope the end results are the same.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Glad you are enjoying the season thus far. I am not a Packers fan - but certainly not a hater. I like the way Rodgers goes about his business.

Blessings on you and yours, Todd!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #16
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

While 8-0 is an amazing feat, a fantastic play not realized in a few of those games and we could be 4-4 or worse. We talk about correcting the problems and getting the holes shored up, but I'm not seeing it yet.
I just believe if this keeps up, the "bend-but-don't-break" philosophy won't hold up come play-off time. Hope they prove me wrong.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Sometimes the bounces go your way the whole season, right up until they call you the 2010 Patriots. (14-2, out in the first round of the playoffs.)
I was gonna say the 2007 Pats, but they had a good defense. Still, they needed all the bounces they could get to get to 18-0, and just needed one more in the 14-17 loss to the Giants in the Super Bowl. The well was dry.

A couple losses are going to serve them good. They have the 30th softest schedule in football with only the Vikes and Bears being softer.
Despite that they're giving up hoardes of points to mediocre teams and winning by small margins.
That's spooky.
It'd make for more confidence if they were really tested. I mean REALLY tested. Weeks 12-17 don't look like a cakewalk with some of those teams starting to put themselves together and getting confidence. Two matchups with the Lions, it's going to be tough to take both if the Lions can put up some points.

I'm not sure what's up with you' guy's D, whether you've got lots of injuries or a lousy coordinator or if it's the player quality. I can't believe it's your ball players, there's too much pride in that organization for guys to be dragging their feet.

Regardless, you guys have a STELLAR offense that's a joy to watch. You can't help but love every bit of Aaron Rodgers, he's awesome. No matter whether they bring home the trophy again this year, you're definately getting your money's worth.
We'll be happy to hoist the newest version of Lombardi hardware in Burgh. You guys can swing by and see it.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #18
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

The Pack looks unstoppable this year but I must admit that defense is going to have to tighten up if they are going to make another deep run. I would really love to see a rematch of last years Super Bowl but there is a long road still ahead. We will have to see what shakes out but in so many recent years past the team that looks like the clear favorite always seems to fade and bail out of the playoffs on an early note. We can only wait and see....

Should be an exciting second half of the season for us all!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #19
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
A couple losses are going to serve them good. They have the 30th softest schedule in football with only the Vikes and Bears being softer.
Which is drug down by playing a two win Carolina and Minnesota team and a one win St. Louis team. They've played four quality opponents this season (New Orleans, Chicago, Atlanta, San Diego) and have beaten them all. If you look around, not many teams can make that claim (Baltimore if you count both Steelers wins, but that's about it).
Quote:
Despite that they're giving up hoardes of points to mediocre teams and winning by small margins.
Small margins? They lead the league in +/-...
Quote:
We'll be happy to hoist the newest version of Lombardi hardware in Burgh. You guys can swing by and see it.
Pretty big talk for a team that's third in it's own division and has only beaten one team worth a warm bucket of spit.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
Blessings on you and yours, Todd!

And with you and yours as well.