Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 05-19-2020, 07:00 PM   #2221
Hippi3Slay3r
ಥ_ಥ

First Name: Kyle
Trading: (22)
Bolivar
Hippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enoughHippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

If your a fan of Rye's give this a try you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:13 AM   #2222
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I've heard good stuff about Rabbit Hole but haven't had a chance to try yet, I'll put it on the list
Old 05-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #2223
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Thanks Kyle. I've seen Rabbit Hole at some of the Binny's stores, but was hoping to find it in a bar (no time soon I guess ) and try before buying.

Last night's pours. When your first pour is at 100 proof, there's no where to got but up. Way up!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #2224
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

You inspired me to have a pour of EH Taylor Small Batch last night. That stuff never disappoints, I was listening to a local podcast doing a review of a few different Taylors and one guy mentioned that a distributor said they are always out of stock because "if you can get it, why would you need anything else?"

Makes sense
Old 05-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #2225
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
You inspired me to have a pour of EH Taylor Small Batch last night. That stuff never disappoints, I was listening to a local podcast doing a review of a few different Taylors and one guy mentioned that a distributor said they are always out of stock because "if you can get it, why would you need anything else?"

Makes sense
Definitely one of my go-to BiBs, Ben. Locally, haven't seen anything but SB, would love to run into a bottle of Barrel Proof but not holding my breath.

Black Carl made last night enjoyable, so enjoyable I forgot the picture 'til after I slurped it all up. (Phrasing).

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 05-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #2226
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Definitely one of my go-to BiBs, Ben. Locally, haven't seen anything but SB, would love to run into a bottle of Barrel Proof but not holding my breath.
I'd buy a single barrel in a second. Really want to try the 18 year that's coming out this year, but I think we both know how likely that will be
Old 05-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #2227
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
I'd buy a single barrel in a second. Really want to try the 18 year that's coming out this year, but I think we both know how likely that will be
Me too, even though I know the barrels can vary widely. I hadn't even heard about the 18 year, but figure it will be like finding a virgin at Planned Parenthood.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:55 AM   #2228
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

The release name is "18 Year Marriage." I heard it being described by as hard to find as two 18 year olds getting married and staying together for 18 years

Old 05-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #2229
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
The release name is "18 Year Marriage." I heard it being described by as hard to find as two 18 year olds getting married and staying together for 18 years

But did it survive a tornado?

Old 05-25-2020, 10:17 AM   #2230
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Still new to bourbons, Really like eagle rare, just finished Basil Hayden which was good but not great, bout to try Elijah Craig Small Batch later tonight! Any other under $50 bottle suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by Gabe215; 05-25-2020 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Add to post
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:40 AM   #2231
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Still new to bourbons, Really like eagle rare, just finished Basil Hayden which was good but not great, bout to try Elijah Craig Small Batch later tonight! Any other under $50 bottle suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel are both quite good and can be had for in the mid-$30 range.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:11 PM   #2232
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Early Times Bottled in Bond
EH Taylor Small Batch BiB
New Riff (rye or bourbon)
Sazerac

Sure there's many more, I'm just brain farting now.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:12 PM   #2233
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Booker's Broken Biscuits last night with an '04 RyJ Ex. 4

Old 05-26-2020, 08:32 AM   #2234
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

A taste of Kentucky, via Texas. Thanks Johnny an Tony.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:43 AM   #2235
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Good stuff right there!
Old 05-26-2020, 08:48 AM   #2236
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Had a pour of EH Taylor SB back to back with Eagle Rare the other night, really helped highlight the differences. Both were great but I think if I had to pick one it'd be the Taylor. At some point I'd like to review my open bottles before they turn into empty bottles, but I suck at reviewing

Quote:
So many good options, other than the ones that Tom said I'd look into Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (<$20 and delicious), Makers 46, Buffalo Trace, or if you can find it any Weller expressions (the green label, "Special Reserve" or "SR" is fantastic and $20 for a 750 msrp). You're already onto Elijah Craig, if you like that try to find a bottle of their barrel proof releases, they come out 3 times a year but are all great, although that may get you up closer to the $60 range (and may be higher ABV than you're looking for). If you're feeling rye, give Old Forester Rye or Rittenhouse a try, they're both great and under $30.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #2237
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Had a pour of EH Taylor SB back to back with Eagle Rare the other night, really helped highlight the differences. Both were great but I think if I had to pick one it'd be the Taylor. At some point I'd like to review my open bottles before they turn into empty bottles, but I suck at reviewing
I agree that Taylor trumps Eagle Rare (for my palate), and disagree that you suck at reviewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns
So many good options, other than the ones that Tom said I'd look into Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (<$20 and delicious), Makers 46, Buffalo Trace, or if you can find it any Weller expressions (the green label, "Special Reserve" or "SR" is fantastic and $20 for a 750 msrp). You're already onto Elijah Craig, if you like that try to find a bottle of their barrel proof releases, they come out 3 times a year but are all great, although that may get you up closer to the $60 range (and may be higher ABV than you're looking for). If you're feeling rye, give Old Forester Rye or Rittenhouse a try, they're both great and under $30.
Good suggestions, Ben, though where one lives will play heavily on the price of the Weller SR. Especially love the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof if you're willing to spend up, the last two releases I have are amazing (C919 & A120). I saw the C520 has started popping up, it's about 4.5% lower on the ABV.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #2238
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Last night had a pour of Dickel BiB and one of Kentucky Spirit. Both tasty, very different but I think I liked the Dickel a little more
Old 05-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #2239
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Willett 4 year and McKenna 10 year last night. Willett does it better in only 40% of the time.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:47 PM   #2240
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

First Name: Ray
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
One of my favorites is Woodford Reserve. I think it runs $35-40.
4WheelVFR is offline   Reply With Quote