Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road
Default Another Wineador Build Thread

So, I decided a few days ago, it's about time to get a wineador set up. I did a little looking around online, finally decided on THIS model. I found it on a scratch and dent site for $79.99, with free shipping. So, we will see how it turns out.

In the mean time, I have some extra spanish cedar seasoning in my coolidor, and I plan on taking my humidification element out of the coolidor, to use in the wineador.

I am currently using a Cigar Oasis XL plus Humidifier.

Eventually I plan on ordering drawers from Forrest, but my employment status is rapidly changing (owners of the B&M I work at, decided to retire), so I am not positive when that is going to happen.

But, I after reading the thousands of other wineador build threads on here, I decided one more couldn't hurt. I'll keep this updated as I make progress.

Current cost break down is as follows, and will be updated periodically:

Wine Fridge .... 79.99
Humidifier ...... 100.00
---------------------------
Total ............. 179.99

So, right now, I think I am doing pretty good on the cost. The unit is scheduled to be delivered Wednesday (9/18), so we wait!

Last edited by colinb913; 09-17-2013 at 12:07 AM.
colinb913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
ArgusP2
It's Smokin' Time!

First Name: Angel
Trading: (13)
RA
ArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Another Wineador Build Thread

IMHO, for a wineador of that size, I doubt that you will need an active humidifying system. I have a 28 bottle vinotemp and it works great with a couple of pounds of heartfelt beads.

-Bdawg
ArgusP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgusP2 View Post
IMHO, for a wineador of that size, I doubt that you will need an active humidifying system. I have a 28 bottle vinotemp and it works great with a couple of pounds of heartfelt beads.
Was going to say the same thing, I have a couple pounds in mine and it's foolproof, nothing to worry about and the seals are perfect, just remember to plug up any drainage hole and you are good to go.

Angel is a smart man.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

Partagas

I already have the oasis in my coolidor (120qt), since I believe I will be able to do away with my cooler (and fill it with drinks when we go to party now!), I figured I would just move it on over.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

You'll be filling that cooler back up with cigars soon enough. LOL
Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The Oasis (or any active humidification) will be overkill for your wine cooler -- they seal so well that it may be difficult to keep it from over humidifying your cigars. Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

Partagas

Alright gentlemen, the fridge arrived yesterday morning. I opened up the package, and there was absolutely no plastic smell (I was shocked, I made my girlfriend come sniff the inside of it too!)

So, we went straight to work. Since I don't have the scratch together to order Forrests drawers yet, I decided to rig up some wooden boxes I had laying around the house. You can find the same kind at Michaels, though I can't remember what I paid for them.

I also added some spanish cedar in different locations, just pieces I had laying around the house. I let the drawers sit in there over night, with the oasis and a bowl of water, and we have been rock steady at 67% and 67*. Mind you, I took these pictures after doing a little touch up work inside, so the humistats are just a little bit off.

I did NOT plug the drain hole, because I use the oasis, I thought it would possibly help take away a little of the extra humidity, and thus far it has.

I have a total of three humistats, one at the bottom, one in the middle you can see through the door, and I have the transmitter for one in the top drawer. The unit is on my speaker on my desk, so I can monitor the temp and humidity when laying in bed.

As the pictures depict, I used zipties to fasten the boxes to the wine racks, that was the fastest and easiest method I could come up with, and it's completely reversible should I decide to change something. They're unnoticeable when looking at the wineador, and when looking inside.

I like the way it looks at the moment, I am sure it will look a thousand times nicer once I get some drawers in it, but for the mean time, I am satisfied.

Now, I am just debating on getting handles for the front of the drawers. But, in the mean time here are a few pictures to show you how this all came along. **Please excuse the dirty carpet, we're getting them cleaned in a few weeks**

Old 09-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

Partagas

Current cost break down is as follows, and will be updated periodically:

Wine Fridge . .. 79.99
Humidifier .... 100.00
Boxes ...... 25.00
Zip Ties ...... 5.00
Personal Time ........ 2 hours
---------------------------
Total ............. 209.99 + time spent
Old 09-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Looks good so far
Old 09-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
.cigardude.
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Montecristo
.cigardude. is on a distinguished road

Coming along nicely.
.cigardude. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Very nice!

You should still plug the drain hole. A humidor is a sealed box. All that will happen is that your Oasis will run more than it needs to because of the "air leak" from the drain plug.

Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Looks good!
Old 09-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
dgold21
Why do I gotta be Mr Pink

First Name: Dave
Trading: (0)
SCdlH
dgold21 is on a distinguished road

The oasis will end up casing you headaches, trust me. The first iteration of my Vinotemp VT28 was outfitted with a Hydra active humidification with extra fans. I thought it was working great, but it caused so much extra condensation, and once the air in there gets too moist, there is no way to remove the excess moisture (as beads would). I also got rust and corrosion in the fan connectors. The unit just seals too well and is too small for active humidification to be a problem-free solution.

Now in my rebuild, I have a couple pounds of HF beads distributed throughout, and it's never been more stable.
dgold21 is offline   Reply With Quote