Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #61
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation
Default Re: Shuriken cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Fixt
Thanks. Takes to long on my phone to post a picture
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #62
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #63
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cort View Post
Dynamite!

Was wondering exactly how this cutter worked. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll buy one and put it in my drawer next to my Xikar scissors.

I've been using a chainsaw for years but I'm running out of fingers....

Two Guys has them for $19.99 if anyone is interested.

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #64
kickerb

I am really interested to know this. What if it was say, Palio or Xikar that introduced this new style cutter. Would people be more excited and willing to buy?

To me it would not matter, I used a razor blade to memic this style cut and was not happy with it.

But I am curious to know if people's opinions would change based on brand power alone.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #65
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
I am really interested to know this. What if it was say, Palio or Xikar that introduced this new style cutter. Would people be more excited and willing to buy?
No, although it is the kind of unneeded gadgetry I come to expect from Xikar.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #66
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post

To me it would not matter, I used a razor blade to memic this style cut and was not happy with it.

But I am curious to know if people's opinions would change based on brand power alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
No, although it is the kind of unneeded gadgetry I come to expect from Xikar.
I can pretty much guarantee you that Palio would never market anything gimmicky. At least under current ownership.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #67
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Hey give me the sexy leg lamp that was in A Christmas Story...I'm sold. This I will not buy.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #68
Aporschaguy
Two sheets to the wind!

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Aporschaguy is on a distinguished road

Looks interesting but I've hade my Xikar for over 10 years and it has never cut wrong. As sharp as the day I got it. I've dropped it a thousand times... I haven't even oiled it as recomened. Old faithful.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #69
vinnydisilvio

based on the fact that B&M owner i know, who smokes at least 3 cigars pretty much every day, has experienced that the cigars cut with this cutter do burn cooler than cigars cut with a guillotine or something else (and he's not a speed smoker) and that his experience is that it does create a more flavorful smoke...and that i'm a sucker for collecting accessories...i've already ordered this from one of his stores.

it's only $19.99 for the plastic-cased edition so i don't feel like i'm committing a lot. based on the fact that this is actually a "new" way to cut cigars and that it works to cut the cigars pretty much means those crying "gimmick" are incorrect. to each their own, but since this has worked for very experienced cigar smokers i can't wait to try it!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #70
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Though being that he profits by selling them, it does raise the question of "would be say they suck"?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #71
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnydisilvio View Post
based on the fact that B&M owner i know, who smokes at least 3 cigars pretty much every day, has experienced that the cigars cut with this cutter do burn cooler than cigars cut with a guillotine or something else (and he's not a speed smoker) and that his experience is that it does create a more flavorful smoke...and that i'm a sucker for collecting accessories...i've already ordered this from one of his stores.

it's only $19.99 for the plastic-cased edition so i don't feel like i'm committing a lot. based on the fact that this is actually a "new" way to cut cigars and that it works to cut the cigars pretty much means those crying "gimmick" are incorrect. to each their own, but since this has worked for very experienced cigar smokers i can't wait to try it!
Opinions vary.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #72
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Probably not, although he could up-sell you to a more pricey cutter.

He must at least PARTIALLY believe in the thing if he isn't trying to push you into a $50 Xi or Palio.

Or maybe he tries to guess everyones budget based on actions and just says everything in the shop is good

It's really hard to guess peoples motivation.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #73
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Based on the fact that the definition of 'gimmick' is "An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget." then yes, it is a gimmick. And based on the fact that it is, in fact, a gimmick doesn't, in fact, make it a bad thing.

Based on those facts, I think it may just be fact that it's all subjective.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #74
vinnydisilvio

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Though being that he profits by selling them, it does raise the question of "would be say they suck"?
actually this guy...yeah he would. he owns 3 very large and successful shops and has a history of saying when there's something that's just a gimmick if he doesn't think it's great. and if it actually sucked he wouldn't buy any for the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Probably not, although he could up-sell you to a more pricey cutter.

He must at least PARTIALLY believe in the thing if he isn't trying to push you into a $50 Xi or Palio.

Or maybe he tries to guess everyones budget based on actions and just says everything in the shop is good

It's really hard to guess peoples motivation.
well, this guy isn't someone i normally buy from. i'm canadian and he's an american shop owner on the opposite coast. he knows he's not gonna get hardly any orders from me because a canadian mail-ordering cigars is far too expensive. he's also not someone who believes in selling someone something he doesn't feel they could use. he's old school, so he believes more in creating a good reputation based on selling people something they will be happy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Based on the fact that the definition of 'gimmick' is "An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget." then yes, it is a gimmick. And based on the fact that it is, in fact, a gimmick doesn't, in fact, make it a bad thing.

Based on those facts, I think it may just be fact that it's all subjective.
well, since that's not the only definition of "gimmick", it's hard to assume that's what people mean when they seem to be using it in a dismissive context. the way a few people on the thread were using it, the definition of "a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal" since those who called it a gimmick seemed to be saying "i don't see the need for it because..." i mean, really, if you assume the definition you've quoted then nearly every accessory ever made is a gimmick. it didn't sound like that was some others' opinions.

i'm not naive enough to think i can change someone's opinion, but instead just voice my own. i was just stating why i thought it was a good idea to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Opinions vary.
well...it works as a cutter or it doesn't. that's not really a matter of opinion. whether or not people like how it works certainly is though. i can respect that.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #75
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough

tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:25 AM   #76
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

It's an answer to a question I wasn't asking.
0002S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:03 AM   #77
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation

My dollar cutter has worked just fine for the last 10 years while the pallio, firebird, xikar and 10 other cutters all sit in the cabinet along with 20 lighters that I just had to have
Old 09-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #78
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnydisilvio View Post
actually this guy...yeah he would. he owns 3 very large and successful shops and has a history of saying when there's something that's just a gimmick if he doesn't think it's great. and if it actually sucked he wouldn't buy any for the shop.

well, this guy isn't someone i normally buy from. i'm canadian and he's an american shop owner on the opposite coast. he knows he's not gonna get hardly any orders from me because a canadian mail-ordering cigars is far too expensive. he's also not someone who believes in selling someone something he doesn't feel they could use. he's old school, so he believes more in creating a good reputation based on selling people something they will be happy with.

well, since that's not the only definition of "gimmick", it's hard to assume that's what people mean when they seem to be using it in a dismissive context. the way a few people on the thread were using it, the definition of "a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal" since those who called it a gimmick seemed to be saying "i don't see the need for it because..." i mean, really, if you assume the definition you've quoted then nearly every accessory ever made is a gimmick. it didn't sound like that was some others' opinions.

i'm not naive enough to think i can change someone's opinion, but instead just voice my own. i was just stating why i thought it was a good idea to buy.

well...it works as a cutter or it doesn't. that's not really a matter of opinion. whether or not people like how it works certainly is though. i can respect that.
Thanks for enlightening all of us.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #79
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailchaser View Post
My dollar cutter has worked just fine for the last 10 years while the pallio, firebird, xikar and 10 other cutters all sit in the cabinet along with 20 lighters that I just had to have
I have always used a cheap cutter or punch, however I used a Palio at Dom's herf and it was amazingly better than a cheap cutter!
If you want to get rid of your Palio let me know
Old 09-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #80
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Its the same with lighters. Some prefer a soft flame, others a torch or ceder strip. Its not that one is better or worse, but just a personal preference just like cutters. Use what fits your budget and what works for you.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote