Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #81
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: Mobile Stogie moving to new owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
I Can't seem to get the upgrade without paying for it. The issue is that this shows up as an entirely different app than the original Mobile Stogie.

I'm running version 2.0.1

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #82
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioF View Post
Greg, did your inventory go over to the new version?
No, New Version Is Empty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
Yes Greg. Before you leave for the course. This would be really good to know.

What happens when you download it? Do you have two separate apps or does the old MS disappear?
2 Separate Apps, Unfortunately.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #83
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Greg...is the new version getting updated as frequently as the older version was? Really unhappy that I have to go out and re-purchase this.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #84
Tarks
Need to make a purchase!!

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tarks is on a distinguished road

I pretty sure we don't need to buy the new version guys. I think we need to be patient with Colin on this one. As he mentioned, he is in Havana for the festival. I'm sure this will get cleared up as soon as he can.

"On another note, I am leaving for a week in Havana for work and won't have access to the internet. So please excuse me for not responding to the internet for a little while. My friend who is helping me with the cigar database update will continue to work on it and we should have it ready around the time I get back."
Tarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #85
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Greg...is the new version getting updated as frequently as the older version was? Really unhappy that I have to go out and re-purchase this.
Just Tried To Update The New Version; Won't Work & Goes Back To The Standard I-Phone Screen, Mac.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #86
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

New Version Lists 3697 Unique Cigars & 150 Brands
Old Version Lists 3983 Unique Cigars & 169 Brands

Old 02-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #87
RUJohnny99

Weird...Mine shows 3546 & 143
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #88
Krieg

Unhappy Re: Mobile Stogie moving to new owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Same here my update won't show up here and I have a ton of custom added cigars in my database. Hopefully Colin can fix this when he gets back.

Curious.... I know you can export your cigars into a CSV but is there an import feature in the new version?

I can only think that the people who don't see the update are using Ken's version of 2.0.1. And people who are using Colin's version of 2.0.1 can see the update.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #89
Research-Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUJohnny99 View Post
Weird...Mine shows 3546 & 143
Posted via Mobile Device
The update that is due to the database will be available shortly. We are going to try to have it up this coming weekend. There will be an additional 5,000 cigars added. This will be available to anyone with any version of Mobile Stogie.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #90
Research-Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieg View Post
Same here my update won't show up here and I have a ton of custom added cigars in my database. Hopefully Colin can fix this when he gets back.

Curious.... I know you can export your cigars into a CSV but is there an import feature in the new version?

I can only think that the people who don't see the update are using Ken's version of 2.0.1. And people who are using Colin's version of 2.0.1 can see the update.
You're right about the versions. You need to have the version that goes by the name "Mobile Stogie by Cigar Research" in order to have a free update to version 3.0. For people with "Mobile Stogie", the new version needs to be purchased in order to obtain all the new features.

If you have the version called "mobile stogie" ie. Ken's version, then upgrading will not allow you to carry over your data. Unfortunately there was no way for me to allow this app to communicate with the old app. But you will of course benefit from all the new cigars and new features.

At the moment there is not an import feature but we are investigating that for the next update.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #91
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Research-Colin View Post
You're right about the versions. You need to have the version that goes by the name "Mobile Stogie by Cigar Research" in order to have a free update to version 3.0. For people with "Mobile Stogie", the new version needs to be purchased in order to obtain all the new features.

If you have the version called "mobile stogie" ie. Ken's version, then upgrading will not allow you to carry over your data. Unfortunately there was no way for me to allow this app to communicate with the old app. But you will of course benefit from all the new cigars and new features.

At the moment there is not an import feature but we are investigating that for the next update.
You mentioned that those of us with Ken's version would be able to upgrade to the new version for a reduced cost. When will we be able to do that?

(As near as I can tell iTunes is still offering it at full price -- $3.99)

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #92
Research-Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
You mentioned that those of us with Ken's version would be able to upgrade to the new version for a reduced cost. When will we be able to do that?

(As near as I can tell iTunes is still offering it at full price -- $3.99)
That's right. I am going to run a promotional offer as soon as the update to the database is up. We are planning to have it up by next week but we'll see how the implementation goes. We're working on it this weekend. I will post something here as soon as the cigar database is updated and will offer the promotional price right after that. It will probably last for 1 week.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #93
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Thanks for the heads up Brother.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #94
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about

Hey guys, voice from the past here

With all the life changes, I haven't participated much on CA for quite a while, but I keep an eye on this thread periodically. I'll be back actively participating for sure one of these days, when I get a little more time .

Anyway, I thought I'd weigh in on this thread and give you my perspective on how this is going. I just got off the phone with Colin's developer, walking through some of the details of getting the updated cigar info into the online database. Sounds like they are working hard to keep improving the app. As I've told Colin, I remain very interested in keeping this alive and well, so have offered to work with them as much as needed to help them in any way I can. They are really great guys to work with, and I look forward to the improvements they continue to make.

As for the issue of having to completely reinstall (and buy) Colin's version, that really is a tough issue that Apple has not provided any way around. I know that Colin tried very hard to make it more of a seamless transition, but ran into limitations that he couldn't help. I am confident that his heart was, and is, in the right place on this. As Colin has said, those with my original version of the app will still continue to get reference cigar updates (lots of them are on the way shortly!!), so hopefully you still feel that you got good value from the original purchase. I have re-purchased the new version myself, and will continue to support them, and really hope others do as well. I know the effort it takes to build and maintain the app

I'm really glad to see the folks on CA still enjoying Mobile Stogie, and for the (as always) constructive feedback that you guys provide. Based on recent conversations, I remain confident that I did the right thing in passing this to somebody who has the time and commitment to keep it alive, and improving the app as well. Hope you all continue to enjoy it.

Now, let me go finish up this awesome PSP1, the first one from my newly acquired ceramic jar

Cheers!

-KenS
Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #95
jaypulay

Have recently purchased this app and absolutely love it!!! Don't know why it took so long to find it, but now that I have, I don't know what I'd do without it!!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #96
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Thanks for your input Ken. Much appreciated.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #97
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

not sure if there is a support thread, but when i try changing the "date acquired" for a new add it just defaults back to the date added (todays date when added)

i know i can change it after its added, but it would be cool if it worked when adding
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #98
Krieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Research-Colin View Post

Thanks for the update Colin. I don't have any issues with having to repurchase the app...but I do have a TON of cigars in my database, and having to renter all those is not something I'm prepared to do. So I will be patiently waiting for your import feature update
Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #99
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
New Version Lists 3697 Unique Cigars & 150 Brands
Old Version Lists 3983 Unique Cigars & 169 Brands
Try updating and see what you get now.
I just updated (the old version) and I now have 5380 Unique Cigars & 356 Brands.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #100
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

Mine just closes when I try to update.

"contacting stogie server..."
Then closes