Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Oliva serie V diadema 'Den Bosch' limited edition

I can imagine that some of you might think "what the hell is Den Bosch and why is there a limited edition cigar for that Den Bosch thing" but let me explain. Den Bosch aka 'S Hertogenbosch is a city in the south of the Netherlands and it's the place where the first European Oliva Cigar Lounge is located (a new one will be opened in Berlin on October 31, 2010). The shop is owned by the same owner as The Longfiller Company, the European distributer for Oliva, and that's why there is a limited edition Oliva V Diadema 'Den Bosch'. This is an extremely limited release cigar, only 500 cigars, 50 boxes of 10 in a 7x48 size, different than the diadema's you'll find in the Oliva samplers. The boxes are sold exclusively in the Oliva Cigar Lounge in Den Bosch. The release party, with Brian Shapiro and Dave Wagner from Oliva, was last week and I can only imagine that there are just a few boxes left. The price of a box is € 85.00, which makes a single cigar € 8.50

The wrapper is dark, oily and shiny, it looks great. The cigar has a strong horse stable smell and a good construction. What strikes me is that the cigar doesn't have an extra band like most limited editions have. The predraw is great and I taste raisin.

I taste some earthy flavors and wood. No pepper like I expected from an Oliva V. This cigar is even mild sweet and I think I taste some nuts too. The feeling in my mouth is quite dry. The sweetness slowly grows in strength. A few puffs later the cigar finally gets the well known Oliva V spice and the nut flavor gets stronger too. After an inch this cigar is like I expected, the classic Oliva V combo of herbs, with pepper, spicy and mild sweet. I taste a nutty aftertaste.

Halfway the pepper fades away a bit and I still taste spicy herbs with nuts and an earthy flavor. In the aftertaste I discover some chocolate. After two thirds I taste sweet herbs with some macadamia nuts. The chocolate has gone. At the end I get a strong earthy flavor.

The smoke time of this cigar is an hour and thirty-five minutes. The draw was great and the burn was phenomenal. Straight as an arrow and slow. The smoke is good, a decent amount and thick although it started out thin. The reasonable dark ash isn't firm, it dropped on my shirt twice. This cigar is full flavored and full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? I got myself a box before they are gone. This is a limited production, so when my box is empty I won't be able to get them anymore.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 9 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
Old 09-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Oliva serie V diadema 'Den Bosch' limited edition

how do you say "ummmmmmmmm" in Dutch?....Sweet review Ferdie!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Nice review Ferdie. Stick looks and sounds awesome! Than again it's an Oliva V so how bad could it possibly have been?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I've been waiting for this review and it didn't disappoint!!! Sounds like a great stick Ferdie.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Nice review! I wish Oliva would make diademas regular production.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
GHC_Hambone

That looks like a shape I would enjoy, and its a V so its gotta be good. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
STEVE S
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (1)
STEVE S is on a distinguished road

Again, a very nice review, the Oliva V's are great cigars. Thanks for sharing.
STEVE S is offline   Reply With Quote