Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-16-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about
Default Cigar you smoked a lot of but now ignore?

In the '90's during the 'boom' I smoked a lot of Arturo Fuente 8-9-8's and enjoyed them very much. Every time I smoked a cigar, that was it. It really made cigar smoking easy. Go to local tobacconist, chat, grab AF 898, chat more, leave, then go enjoy a good cigar. I have pictures of me in my early 20's staining furniture and smoking an AF while drunk on tequila. Ahh good times. Years later, I'm 38 now, I ignore them. Not for any real reason other than I've branched out into other vitolas I think I enjoy more. Reading the 'candela' thread someone brought up the candela 8-9-8 and it reminded me of my old standby, the natural 8-9-8. I've decided I need to revisit these and see if they still have the old charm for me. My tastes have changed considerably in the past few years so I don't want to get my hopes up. None the less, I'm looking forward to grabbing a few to honor for introducing me to quality cigars during those 'booming' '90's in Los Angeles. With all the fly by night smokes being pumped out during that time it would have been easy to get lost but the Fuente always took care of business for me. I suppose I have to thank that tobacconist in Marina del Rey steering me straight as well.

Anyone one else have smokes like that? The ones that sucked you in but you now ignore for whatever reasons? I think think it would be interesting to go back to your old standby's and do reviews on them. Will I be wondering what the heck I was thinking or rediscover an old friend?

I'd love to hear others stories on this as well.

If I can't track them down locally I'll order up a fiver on the devil's site and post up my results.

I'd invite other folks to do the same, could be a fun thread of rediscovery.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cigar you smoked a lot of but now ignore?

When I first started smoking I smoked a lot of Chateau Fuente Maduros, now I can't stand the things.

And Eric, Little Havana had the 858s in stock last time I was there.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
When I first started smoking I smoked a lot of Chateau Fuente Maduros, now I can't stand the things.

And Eric, Little Havana had the 858s in stock last time I was there.
Road trip? Hope they don't suck, I really want to like them now.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:15 AM   #4
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Fuente for me too. Short Stories, I could not get enough of them! Now I cant remember the last time I smoked one, must be at least 6-8 months. I'll check the humi for 898's and bring them to the Barn if I have them.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:17 AM   #5
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Fuente for me too. Short Stories, I could not get enough of them! Now I cant remember the last time I smoked one, must be at least 6-8 months. I'll check the humi for 898's and bring them to the Barn if I have them.
Bob used to be a Short Story MONSTER!

I used to smoke a ton of DPG Black Labels, now when I try them and they taste completely flat and boring.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:23 AM   #6
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

5 Vegas Gold and Classic
Old 07-16-2009, 03:46 AM   #7
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

I used to smoke a whole bunch of Maria Mancini Magic Mountains both natural and maduro. Still have half a box of maduros and smoked the first one in about a year last week. They still taste good but I have moved on to cigars that I prefer such as Olivas and DPG Blues.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:18 AM   #8
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I use to smoke a lot RP, especially the Edge, and Vintage. I decided to smoke a RP the other week and realized why I stopped smoke them. Also Gurkha, I use to smoke a lot of Gurkhas but... they suck.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:21 AM   #9
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

I would imagine you smoking an 898 will bring back good memories if nothing else. I used to smoke Las Cabrillas cigars when I was in my 20's. I haven't had one in years, but I would imagine it wouldn't compare to some of my favorites today.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:24 AM   #10
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

PUNCH GRAN PURO TUBO

Now I'm gonna have to smoke one........
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:58 AM   #11
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

not one particular cigar I can think of but just maduros in general. When I first started smoking, all I bought were maduros. I'm not sure why now.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #12
duckmanco
Can't stop whats coming

Location: that forsaken stretch of wood they call Whiskey Grove
Trading: (10)
duckmanco is on a distinguished road

was a maduro smoker only for the first 2 years or so. Then when I found Corojo and Sumatra, it all changed.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #13
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Perdomo Lot 23s, and the first handmade cigar I ever had : Sancho Panza Double Maduro
Old 07-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #14
Jcaprell

I used to smoke a lot of Gurkhas when I first started smoking. I never buy them anymore. If I am given one I will smoke it and I always think, "well, maybe I will give them just one more shot. Maybe it will be good!" and time after time, I am reminded of just how undeveloped my pallet was back then.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #15
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Oliva G... my go to cigar. I dont remember last time I had one, and have two boxes in the cooler. I'll have to revisit one soon.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #16
aerochris
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (7)
aerochris is on a distinguished road

Macanudo of every kind. I loved those things. Haven't smoked one forever.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

La Aroma de Cuba Robustos....went through several boxes my first year or so of quality smoking...I doubt I have had one in 2 years now.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
Java

Don't laugh... Macanudos.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #19
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Cusano 18 double connecticut. I went through a couple boxes my first year smoking. Now when I find one in the humi I save it for when I need to give a non-smoker something mild. I just moved onto fuller smokes, as is usually the case.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #20
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Back in the 1980's I only smoked occasionally, and only when I was going to be with certain friends. I usually bought them at a drug store that had a cigar counter. If I had decent money I bought Macanudo Hampton Courts. If not, I bought Marsh Wheelings. Once Tinder Box opened in the mall I tried Fuente 898's and Ashton classics. Loved both of those.

I also used to sometimes smoke a cigar from the Canary Islands, but I can't recall what it was now. I haven't seen a cigar from the Canary Island in a very long time.