Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #281
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wristwatch collectors out there?

Paying for the name.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #282
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Paying for the name.
any recommendations for a quality watch in that price range, under $600?
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #283
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
A couple of years ago some Oris models could have been had at about that price, but sadly these days they are much higher. You could find a few in the 700-750 range, though. At $600 price point I'd take a look at Oceanus models, for my money.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #284
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Paying for the name.

however I have not done much research on them, are you looking for automatic only? or would you consider quartz?
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #285
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by eber View Post

however I have not done much research on them, are you looking for automatic only? or would you consider quartz?

I don't know squat about watches, all I know is that my g-shock works and it works well . Honestly I'm not into watches and prefer inexpensive ones because I'm pretty rough on them. But my gf has been on a watch kick lately, and liked the look of the burberry and honestly so do I, but if i'm going to pay that much for it, I'd want something with a little quality in it.

If you're referring to automatic, as in self winding, i don't think it really matters to me, but would be a nice option. The watch she would like me to get would be primarily for evenings out, or when she would like me to be dressed nicely . So I'm just looking at other options.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #286
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

I have a sweet Bulova that was around $360 and I love it.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #287
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

If you don't mind buying from a non authorized dealer, you might want to check out Ashford. I've purchased many fine watches from them at great prices. they have a super sale now just before Christmas.

http://www.ashford.com/ashford/index.jsp

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #288
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
I have a sweet Bulova that was around $360 and I love it.
All quartz watches are about in the same ballpark, you may as well buy a Timex for $50 and it will keep time as accurately. I was simply trying to steer the guy towards a quality piece (Oris, really good and still undervalued craftmenship) that may be in his price range or stay with something like Oceanus that combines leading edge technology with quality and good looks.

Quartz wise, a $50 watch is no different than one selling for $2K or more sometimes, save for "name" on the dial and design there is nothing to differentiate them to a large degree.

Some Costco stores in Bay Area carry Oris watches, I'd check them out.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #289
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

Thanks, I'll take a look over there ! ! ! I was looking at their website and there are a few that caught my eye, but nothing like seeing a piece in person.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #290
TheRiddick
Non-believer

They look great in real life.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #291
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know squat about watches, all I know is that my g-shock works and it works well . Honestly I'm not into watches and prefer inexpensive ones because I'm pretty rough on them. But my gf has been on a watch kick lately, and liked the look of the burberry and honestly so do I, but if i'm going to pay that much for it, I'd want something with a little quality in it.

I hear that watchwoot.com has some nice Breitlings for under three bills.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #292
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I hear that watchwoot.com has some nice Breitlings for under three bills.

You betcha! Under $300 for a "Rolex" too!
http://watchwoot.com/magento/index.php
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #293
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
All quartz watches are about in the same ballpark, you may as well buy a Timex for $50 and it will keep time as accurately. I was simply trying to steer the guy towards a quality piece (Oris, really good and still undervalued craftmenship) that may be in his price range or stay with something like Oceanus that combines leading edge technology with quality and good looks.

Quartz wise, a $50 watch is no different than one selling for $2K or more sometimes, save for "name" on the dial and design there is nothing to differentiate them to a large degree.

Oris does make some really nice watches. There were a few that caught my eye but were out of my price range. I am happy with the Bulova I picked up, granted it doesn't have the mechanics of an Oris or some other top notch brand but I really like the way it looks.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #294
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
Oris does make some really nice watches. There were a few that caught my eye but were out of my price range. I am happy with the Bulova I picked up, granted it doesn't have the mechanics of an Oris or some other top notch brand but I really like the way it looks.
Like I said above, I buy various Invicta models, there is something to be said about affordable pieces that work and look great. I have been wearing an Invicta while playing soccer (to keep time for the game) and so far not an issue at all for the past 4 years. If it can take a beating like that, I am a fan. No mechanical piece would survive.

Oris is a great step up from quartz to mechanical pieces, they are still relatively unknown to general public, but once recognition arrives so will the higher prices.

Look up Orient watches, they are a subsidy of Seiko and have a pretty reliable automatic movement, various models can be had in the $300 range and the watches are not only rugged, but good looking as well.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #295
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

IMO Citizen has the best bang for the buck. I got both of my watches for under 500 and just love em to death.
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #296
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I am going to have to disagree on that. There are a few companies that have done real innovations on quartz that seperate them from masses. JLC, Rolex and IWC have all have quartz movements that a well beyond anything in a $50 watch. The finishing and stepping of movement is well advanced in comparasion.

Oris watches are a good deal. I put them in the league of watches like Mido, Certina, Bell & Ross, and Sinn. The each offer value and something unique looking as well.

I would really look at Mido and Certina out of the group. Sinn is awesome if you like aviation watches and don't mind made in Germany.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #297
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I am going to have to disagree on that. There are a few companies that have done real innovations on quartz that seperate them from masses. JLC, Rolex and IWC have all have quartz movements that a well beyond anything in a $50 watch. The finishing and stepping of movement is well advanced in comparasion.

Oris watches are a good deal. I put them in the league of watches like Mido, Certina, Bell & Ross, and Sinn. The each offer value and something unique looking as well.

I would really look at Mido and Certina out of the group. Sinn is awesome if you like aviation watches and don't mind made in Germany.
Certina has some really nice pieces. I was just looking at their website earlier this week.
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #298
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I think we are really talking apples and oranges here is we are really comparing Rolex and IWC to an inexpensive quartz movement.

How about some good sources for the sub $500 category?
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #299
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I think we are really talking apples and oranges here is we are really comparing Rolex and IWC to an inexpensive quartz movement.

How about some good sources for the sub $500 category?
Certina and Mido should have stuff around that price. Gevril GV2's will fit the bill; they are AP's second brand. I have seen Rado's go for that price range too. Although not quartz, Daniel Jean Richard are good value watches. They are GP's second line of watch and I have seen several go for $500.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #300
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

My 2 centavos here... Invicta is a nice watch without being too expensive, but I also just picked up (at the Albany Herf last week) a new Cross watch (Rose Gold, with leather band) they had at the shop. Love it - beautiful watch! (Giving the others a rest for a few days)