Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #41
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2011-2012 Cigar Asylum Alumni Fantasy Hockey

I do not like the trade that is being proposed. Daniel Sedin for Sheldon Souray/Jonas Hiller is not a fair trade. Sedin is worth more than that I voted to veto
Old 02-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #42
Bigwaved

Trading: (3)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Bigwaved has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I do not like the trade that is being proposed. Daniel Sedin for Sheldon Souray/Jonas Hiller is not a fair trade. Sedin is worth more than that I voted to veto
I find it interesting how you paint this an unbalanced trade. In my opinion, I am not too keen on being accused of fleecing someone, nor your lobbying to the league managers as you have in your post. I suppose if we were to just go by the names involved, your feelings my have merit. If one were to look at performance over the past 30 days, it would have more holes in it than a colander. Jonas has finally turned his season around to reflect his status as a top goaltender. Who had to eat his play while he was finding his way? Meanwhile, Daniel has dropped off from the excellent start he had. So, if we look at the needs of each team (goalie and defenseman for one and a goal scorer on the other), the trade makes sense. I am banking on Daniel returning to form while Steve is counting on Jonas retaining his. For shits and grins, which of your top goalies did you offer up to him in response to his trading block request? I thought we were playing in the league because we like hockey and this fantasy league adds to the enjoyment of it.

Last edited by Bigwaved; 02-12-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #43
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I admit, when I first looked at the trade, I thought "WTF"? Then I looked at Hiller's numbers for the last 30 days, and thought it was not a bad trade at all.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #44
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I definitely do not have a worthy goaltender to offer in a trade for D. Sedin. Regardless of their past 30 day stats, Daniel Sedin is a top 5 pick in any league. You don't just go trading that type of player because he hasn't been "as good" in the past 30 days. Unless it is for another elite player. Plus even with a sub-par month he is still ranked the 5th player in the league. Being "hot" only lasts so long, eventually those players will come back down to their normal level of play. There is a much greater chance that Sedin gets going, than Hiller maintaining this pace. Souray helping him is laughable, and puts holes in your argument. In the last 30 days he has been awful. I think you could have given up more to get that type of player, considering who your other goaltenders are. I would also make the argument that Mike Smith has been hotter and helps his team more.

Plus I came here to voice my opinion just in case other players didn't see the trade. It wouldn't be the first time that someone has taken a few days off from checking it, or forgotten about the league and stopped playing midway through.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #45
Bigwaved

Quote:
I definitely do not have a worthy goaltender to offer in a trade for D. Sedin. Regardless of their past 30 day stats, Daniel Sedin is a top 5 pick in any league. You don't just go trading that type of player because he hasn't been "as good" in the past 30 days. Unless it is for another elite player. Plus even with a sub-par month he is still ranked the 5th player in the league. Being "hot" only lasts so long, eventually those players will come back down to their normal level of play. There is a much greater chance that Sedin gets going, than Hiller maintaining this pace. Souray helping him is laughable, and puts holes in your argument. In the last 30 days he has been awful. I think you could have given up more to get that type of player, considering who your other goaltenders are. I would also make the argument that Mike Smith has been hotter and helps his team more.

Plus I came here to voice my opinion just in case other players didn't see the trade. It wouldn't be the first time that someone has taken a few days off from checking it, or forgotten about the league and stopped playing midway through.
Exactly. You did not have a goalie to offer. I am happy to have learned that you are the expert on my team's goaltenders. I am impressed with your astute observations about Mike Smith versus Jonas Hiller over the past 30 days. I suppose one could consider Smith being the hotter even though he has fewer wins, saves, a lower save % and a higher goal against average over that time. He must pull ahead by having the same number of shutouts. Oh wait, Smith just earned that one last night...after the trade was agreed upon. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So tell me, how long does a player's performance have last for you to consider it more than a "hot streak"? While you are at it, what is Hiller's normal level of play? He seemed to be rolling along at a pretty high level until he sustained a concussion last season. As far as Souray goes, you are taking quite a bit of liberty with how important I have made him in "my argument". In closing, I especially like the part about your trying to help the managers who have "forgotten about the league or stopped playing midway through". I could be wrong, but it looks to me that the managers of this league have done a pretty good job of checking in on their teams this year. I have to tell you, this exchange sure has to the fun factor for me this year. I will tell you what. If my team happens to end up in 1st or 2nd, you can keep your cigars. That way, we can both feel good about the results this year.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #46
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Let's play nice, Fellas....this ain't the Canucks Versus....well, the Anyones.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #47
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwaved View Post
Exactly. You did not have a goalie to offer. I am happy to have learned that you are the expert on my team's goaltenders. I am impressed with your astute observations about Mike Smith versus Jonas Hiller over the past 30 days. I suppose one could consider Smith being the hotter even though he has fewer wins, saves, a lower save % and a higher goal against average over that time. He must pull ahead by having the same number of shutouts. Oh wait, Smith just earned that one last night...after the trade was agreed upon. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So tell me, how long does a player's performance have last for you to consider it more than a "hot streak"? While you are at it, what is Hiller's normal level of play? He seemed to be rolling along at a pretty high level until he sustained a concussion last season. As far as Souray goes, you are taking quite a bit of liberty with how important I have made him in "my argument". In closing, I especially like the part about your trying to help the managers who have "forgotten about the league or stopped playing midway through". I could be wrong, but it looks to me that the managers of this league have done a pretty good job of checking in on their teams this year. I have to tell you, this exchange sure has to the fun factor for me this year. I will tell you what. If my team happens to end up in 1st or 2nd, you can keep your cigars. That way, we can both feel good about the results this year.
The trade is done, so all of this really doesn't matter and I'm still going to play. We will just have to agree to disagree on this.

I just want to add this; there are no rules that I'm aware of that forbid me from speaking out. And never did I campaign for others to vote to veto, just making everyone else aware. Also I never said anyone actually stopped playing in the league, but it does occur in all fantasy sports and happened last season here. So I stated that it could happen.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #48
Bigwaved

Nice. What matters to me are your implied accusations. A "red flag", eh? Yup, you caught us conspiring. Crystal balls are great. While we are looking at careers and sour grapes, can I have Vrbata back? I waived him early in the season and you have enjoyed his career year...
Quote:
The trade is done, so all of this really doesn't matter and I'm still going to play. Daniel Sedin is a elite player, and like I said before is a top 5 player. You need more than a player on a hot streak to acquire him. In my opinion you didn't give up enough to get him, and that's why I spoke up. It raises a red flag when the 1st place team trades with the last place team for arguably one of the best players in the league, and you give up to what amounts to a hot streak. Hiller is playing above his career averages in the past 30 days, that would amount to a hot streak. He is on a bad team that probably won't be winning too many more games. Where Smith is on a playoff contending team that needs to keep winning, which gives him better upside, and arguably more value in a trade. We will just have to agree to disagree on this.

There are no rules that I'm aware of that forbid me from speaking out. And never did I campaign for others to vote to veto, just making everyone else aware. Also I never said anyone actually stopped playing in the league, but it does occur in all fantasy sports and happened last season here. So I stated that it could happen.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #49
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwaved View Post
Nice. What matters to me are your implied accusations. A "red flag", eh? Yup, you caught us conspiring. Crystal balls are great. While we are looking at careers and sour grapes, can I have Vrbata back? I waived him early in the season and you have enjoyed his career year...
I never said you cheated and I am not implying that either. I am just explaining to you my reasoning for why I was against the trade. If I wanted to say you were cheating I would come out and say it. I still believe Sedin's value is higher than what you gave up.

I unfortunately posted that reply and really didn't want to, and that is why I edited it. The damage and the trade is now done so I'm moving on. I'm sorry that you are taking this so personally as it was not intended to be that way.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #50
Bigwaved

I will take your word for it. I cannot read your mind, just what you write.
Quote:
I never said you cheated and I am not implying that either. I am just explaining to you my reasoning for why I was against the trade. If I wanted to say you were cheating I would come out and say it. I still believe Sedin's value is higher than what you gave up.

I unfortunately posted that reply and really didn't want to, and that is why I edited it. The damage and the trade is now done so I'm moving on. I'm sorry that you are taking this so personally as it was not intended to be that way.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #51
Bigwaved

Congrats on winning the league this year, Dan.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #52
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Congrats to Shaerza (Dan) for the Fantasy League Championship, and to Bigwaved (Dave) for 2nd place!

Dan and Dave, PM me your addresses to e-mail to the rest of us to collect your booty!

Everyone needs to send (at least) 2 CC or premium NCs to Dan, and 1 to Dave.

Another great year, thanks to all for playing! Is it October yet? (Oh wait, a little thing called the Stanley Cup Playoffs) needs to happen first.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #53
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

1. Biting Weasels
2. Bigwaved's Midgets
3. Detroit Jackals
5. icehogs
6. Ninja Bears
7. Green Bastards
8. Boston Bruisers
9. Caniacs
10. Triple Deke
11. Nads
12. Gophernut

Old 04-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #54
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo

Congrats Dan and Dave! Fun season. Now I don't know how I will replace all those hours during class playing with my lineup and looking for FA's
Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #55
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
1. Biting Weasels
2. Bigwaved's Midgets
3. Detroit Jackals
5. icehogs
6. Ninja Bears
7. Green Bastards
8. Boston Bruisers
9. Caniacs
10. Triple Deke
11. Nads
12. Gophernut
Congrats Dan & Dave!

Who was 4th?
Old 04-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #56
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Crap! Sorry Patrick!!

Actually you, me and Christos were in a 3-way tie for 3rd a couple days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
1. Biting Weasels
2. Bigwaved's Midgets
3. Detroit Jackals
4. Mr. Maduro
5. icehogs
6. Ninja Bears
7. Green Bastards
8. Boston Bruisers
9. Caniacs
10. Triple Deke
11. Nads
12. Gophernut

Old 04-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #57
stevefrench
Green Bastard

First Name: Albert
Trading: (21)
Montecristo
stevefrench has disabled reputation

Congratulations to Dan and Dave.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #58
Shaerza
Weasel

First Name: Dan
Trading: (0)
Partagas
Shaerza is on a distinguished road

Thanks! Was a fun season. I thought I had a fairly mediocre lineup at the start but they came thru in the end. This GM really needed a win too. I will actually have some cigars to pass out at my bachelor party now!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #59
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Congrats to the winners. Next year I will not use up all my games early.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #60
gpugliese
B.Y.O.B.

First Name: Greg
Trading: (13)
HUpmann
gpugliese will become famous soon enough

Congrats guys! I had a horrible season this year.