Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
dropshadow

Default ISO: Made in the USA cutters

I am looking for cutters (single/double guillotine, and especially scissor style) that are manufactured in the USA. I know most of this manufacturing has gone to Asia, but I am looking for something still made in the good ole USA. Any one have any suggestions? I can be contacted via PM and at my email from this site as well. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: ISO: Made in the USA cutters

http://paliocutter.com/

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
dropshadow

thank you for your reply.

yes, i am aware of palios and i am already talking to them. i guess i should have been more specific -- i really want to source scissor style cutters that are manufactured in the US. something with a cuban crafter look but unfortunately i talked to them, and those are made in china -- yuck!

cuban crafter scissor cutter: http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/2888
Old 03-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Understood....can't help you with that one, I pretty much exclusively use Palio products. Good luck with your quest.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Good luck with your search!

I also am a Palio user and, in my opinion, you will find no finer cutter on the market.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Understood....can't help you with that one, I pretty much exclusively use Palio products. Good luck with your quest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Good luck with your search!

I also am a Palio user and, in my opinion, you will find no finer cutter on the market.
i third those notions

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Fourth, I also enjoy using a good sharp knife.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
dropshadow

LOL! i absolutely concur with everyone that palio makes very nice cutters. need USA made scissor-style cutters!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Cigars are not 'Made in the USA' therefore many of the accessories will not be either.

If you are looking to rebrand scissors for retail you may want to contact someone like Xikar and see if they will manufacture them for you. You could also find a knife manufacturer and see if they could make them to your specs. But in reality if you are looking for some cheap accessories to mark up and sell, China is your Huckleberry.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
dropshadow

i'm not looking for cheap...i am looking for quality made in the USA products...

and just for all you xikar fans out there...all of their stuff is manufactured in asia...not the US....

Last edited by dropshadow; 03-02-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
Cigars are not 'Made in the USA' therefore many of the accessories will not be either.

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #12
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropshadow View Post
i'm not looking for cheap...i am looking for quality made in the USA products...

and just for all you xikar fans out there...all of their stuff is manufactured in asia...not the US....
Is that statement meant as a criticism of the company or its product?

I'm a Palio fan, too, but not because it's made int he USA--it's because 1) it's the best cutter I've used; and 2) it's owned by a friend.

I'll be honest and say that I don't really care too much where items are manufactured. My car is British owned by an Indian. My shoes are Italian. My cigars are Cuban. My electronics are from Asian. My watch is Swiss. My whiskeys are Irish and Scottish. My beers and wines are from all over. There are some great products made in the USA and there are great products made elsewhere. I'm much more concerned with getting a quality product (naturally at a reasonable price) than I am with where it's made
Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
Is that statement meant as a criticism of the company or its product?

I'm a Palio fan, too, but not because it's made int he USA--it's because 1) it's the best cutter I've used; and 2) it's owned by a friend.

I'll be honest and say that I don't really care too much where items are manufactured. My car is British owned by an Indian. My shoes are Italian. My cigars are Cuban. My electronics are from Asian. My watch is Swiss. My whiskeys are Irish and Scottish. My beers and wines are from all over. There are some great products made in the USA and there are great products made elsewhere. I'm much more concerned with getting a quality product (naturally at a reasonable price) than I am with where it's made
Oh I like this game...
Car = Swedish
Shoes = IDk but the soles are made in Italy
Electronics = Asia
Shirt on my back = Viet Nam
Coffee = down the street
Travel mug = China
Undies = Not going to the bathroom to check...
I think the memory in my cell is from Korea..
Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I see where the OP is coming from. He would very much like to find a quality scissor-style cigar cutter that is US made. For many, cutter quality is number 1. For this person at this time, quality and US made are equally important. His choice. I do not think that he was impinging the quality of other cutters, US made or not. That's my opinion of the original post and the thread.

I know of no such animal and even checked some of the top US made knife sites.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
I see where the OP is coming from. He would very much like to find a quality scissor-style cigar cutter that is US made. For many, cutter quality is number 1. For this person at this time, quality and US made are equally important. His choice. I do not think that he was impinging the quality of other cutters, US made or not. That's my opinion of the original post and the thread.
That's what I construe. I think everything else is just off topic.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
croatan
Missing Peter

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
For many, cutter quality is number 1. For this person at this time, quality and US made are equally important. His choice.
True that.

I just took the xikar fan / Asia thing as a dig at items manufactured abroad (or at least in Asia), which I don't think is necessarily true and will unnecessarily limit the number of cigar accessories from which one (including someone else who might be reading this thread without the experience of using these various cutters) has to choose--and that's just sad, because we all need as many cigar toys as humanly possible

Quote:
I know of no such animal and even checked some of the top US made knife sites.
Me either. I currently carry a Benchmade (made in the USA) knife every day and have always been interested to see them or some of the other various knife manucturers (including the truly high-end USA and foreign ones) put out some cutters.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #17
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Maybe that explains why my "thought it was made in the U.S.A." Xicar cutter pinches the crap out of me sometimes and I don't really like it.

Hope you will report back in on what if anything you find made in the U.S.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
dropshadow

my comment regarding xikars...is because many people have referred me to xikar citing that they are made in the USA. at one point in time, yes, xikars were manufactured in the US, but like many cigar accessroy maufacturers, they have started producing them in asia. many people still think xikar is US-made including some very high end shoppes in DFW where i am. i am surprised at how many people still believe that xikars are US-made. it's not a swipe at xikar, i think they make some very nice cutters. it's not a swipe at asian-made cutters. i've seen some very nice prometheus cutters that use japanese surgical steel - made in s.korea. and i've seen davidoff cutters with the same german steel that is still used in top-of-the-line henkel knives. i will admit that i tend to think less of xikars because they are using cheap china steel. but i was merely trying to head off any referrals to xikar because i've already done my homework there. for my purposes, i am trying to source a good US made cutter, especially the scissor type. i've been at it for 3 weeks and...nothing

Last edited by dropshadow; 03-02-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
That came out wrong. My point is, if my cigars come from third world countries then I don't mind if my accessories do either. As long as its a quality product that is all that matters.

To the OP, I did a bit of searching and could not find scissors that were described as being made domestically. As I stated, as well as a few others, I would contact a knife manufacturer and see if they could create them to your specs.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #20
croatan
Missing Peter

HUpmann

Quote:
my comment regarding xikars...is because many people have referred me to xikar citing that they are made in the USA. at one point in time, yes, xikars were manufactured in the US, but like many cigar accessroy maufacturers, they have started producing them in asia. many people still think xikar is US-made including some very high end shoppes in DFW where i am. i am surprised at how many people still believe that xikars are US-made. it's not a swipe at xikar, i think they make some very nice cutters. it's not a swipe at asian-made cutters. i've seen some very nice prometheus cutters that use japanese surgical steel - made in s.korea. and i've seen davidoff cutters with the same german steel that is still used in top-of-the-line henkel knives. i will admit that i tend to think less of xikars because they are using cheap china steel. but i was merely trying to head off any referrals to xikar because i've already done my homework there. for my purposes, i am trying to source a good US made cutter, especially the scissor type. i've been at it for 3 weeks and...nothing
Is that when they changed the design of the xikar multi-tool cutter, as well? I know some guys who swear by the old ones but hate the new ones.

Anyway, good luck with your search. Hope you find what you're looking for.

--
And now, even more off-topic than I've been already:

There are quite a few guys around the DFW area who get together fairly regularly to smoke cigars / have a few cocktails / shoot the sh!t. The annual Don't Mess With Texas Herf in October is especially fun.