Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 05-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #61
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tom Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Yes, I agree, it could go either way though. In this entire situation Brady refusing to turn over his phone or give them access to his texts is the only really damning thing to him personally. I would have said that I have noods of my wife on there and I don't want to delete them and you aren't going to see them.
Yeah, because where else can one find nekkid pictures of Giselle?
Old 05-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #62
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Some excuse is better than no excuse!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #63
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
Cheating is cheating - period. The excuse by those at the top that they didn't know is a weak attempt to avoid responsibility. The owners, manager and QB need to man-up and take responsibility rather than slither away and let the worker bees take the heat. This goes for any team, any sport. It is very unlikely that the equipment guys did the deflating on their own. Sad that fans will support cheaters at all costs and minimize any wrong-doing. IMHO, this seriously tarnishes the status of a Super Bowl.
In many other sports, cheating of any kind can and does negate a win. Armstrong won by cheating and was stripped of his medals. In the Olympics, cheaters are stripped of medals. Why not the NFL? My fav teams are Denver and Tampa Bay, but if they cheated, they would deserve to be stripped of the win. Nobody should be exempted. My
I don't think it "tarnishes the status of a Super Bowl" one bit. AFTER the balls were noticed and inflated to within regulations the Pat's scored 28 unanswered points while shutting out the Colts. So it appears that the only time the Colts had a chance was when improper balls were in play. They should have kept their mouths shut and maybe they wouldn't have gotten utterly dominated in the second half.

I really don't know why people take this stuff so seriously.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #64
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

This is a very interesting read, while I doesn't say the Pats are the only cheaters, it points that they could very well be the best at cheating, the interesting bit to me was the lack of Patriots fumbles from 2007 on. In 2006 the league changed the rules with the team on offense supplying the balls home and away, Manning and Brady both pushed for this as well as other players, so this isn't "oh the Patriots only wanted it for this reason", that aside, the number of fumbles SINCE that rule change for the Pats are almost impossibly low, this was also their run as a dynasty, the team that wins the turnover battle usually come out on top, as proven.

Excellent quick read and the links off to stats, etc.,

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-them-a-target

Link to the Patriots stats on turnovers..

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...er_a_2006.html

Spoiler- Remember 2007 is when the offense started to supply their own footballs.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #65
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

You gotta keep in mind, though, that Belichek is utterly unforgiving of fumblers. Everyone on that team knows that if they put the ball on the ground they may not touch it again for weeks.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #66
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Again with the math? Jiminy crickets.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #67
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Again with the math? Jiminy crickets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ab8BOu4LE
Old 05-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #68
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I don't think it "tarnishes the status of a Super Bowl" one bit. AFTER the balls were noticed and inflated to within regulations the Pat's scored 28 unanswered points while shutting out the Colts. So it appears that the only time the Colts had a chance was when improper balls were in play. They should have kept their mouths shut and maybe they wouldn't have gotten utterly dominated in the second half.

That is not the point!!!
Old 05-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #69
AdamJoshua

Quote:
You gotta keep in mind, though, that Belichek is utterly unforgiving of fumblers. Everyone on that team knows that if they put the ball on the ground they may not touch it again for weeks.
That MUST be it.

I suspect in that case, that the numbers won't change in the next couple of seasons.

Last edited by AdamJoshua; 05-09-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:55 AM   #70
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:

SO let me start this with I am a Colts fan. I agree it doesnt tarnish the outcome of the game, or the Superbowl.

The issue in question is the integrity of the administration and more importantly the players who represent the NFL and are role models to future players and children. Are we letting these people tell them as long as they can figure out a way to get away with it then its ok to cheat? Do we allow them to teach our future that it isnt illegal unless you get caught? That there are no consequences for your actions?

Maybe Shannon Sharpe's analysis that if it was a mediocre player on a non-championship team in a smaller market the league would throw the book at him, but since it isnt they will likely slap his wrists and send him on his way.

I think overturning the win is out of line but I also think ignoring it is out of line.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #71
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Yes! Yes! What about the children?!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #72
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

"Integrity of the administration"? You mean the NFL administration that would have swept the Ray Rice incident under the table if it hadn't been for TMZ getting the footage? Yeah, they're a beacon of integrity. And I could type dozens of more examples, but won't waste my time. People either realize that the "Integrity of the administration" is a joke or willfully turn a blind eye to it so they can continue to enjoy football.

I know that I'm a cynical bastage, but I find it hard to believe that people actually think professional sports leagues act out of anything except for self-interest. I hate to burst people's bubbles, but when BILLIONS of dollars are at stake, people look for any advantage they can get. Hell, people will do that when hundreds of dollars are at stake.

And maybe it's my cynicism at work again, but when incidents occur - like Brady's Balls (phrasing) and there's an outcry of naive, self-righteous indignation over it, I can only shake my head at the cognitive dissonance that people engage in in order to avoid the truth about their favorite sport. Ray Lewis knows who savagely murdered two men, yet won't divulge that information to police in order to give the families of the slain closure and peace. Yet Ravens fans just kept cheering him on as he did his stupid, spastic dance before games. I found that disgusting. Ravens fans didn't...or did, yet wouldn't admit it to themselves as long as Lewis kept playing well.

Aaron Rodgers flat-out bragged about sneaking over-inflated balls into games. Unlike the NFL report on Brady with its constant use of "probably", and "perhaps", and "may have", and "possibly", Rodgers is unequivocally guilty of the infraction you all seem so upset about (lawsuits? REALLY?!?). No one cares. Packers fans on this board, do you care? Packers fans' response.

As for "role models", I'll defer to George Carlin: "If your kid needs a role model and you ain't it, you're both ----ed."

If truly guilty, should Brady be punished? Sure. But to be blunt, some of the punishments people in this thread are advocating are utterly ridiculous (lifetime ban? REALLY?!?).

And, with that, I think I'm done with this topic. No offense meant to anyone, and peace...
Old 05-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #73
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

The penalties should reflect the Pats as a whole, not Tom Brady. Draft pick and a fine is appropriate.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #74
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Yes I mean the NFL administration. They are the ones that will suspend a player for 4 games then 10 then lifetime for smoking a joint "because it presents the wrong image to our youth." Ricky Williams suspensions. I also understand that when there is $$ involved whether it be $ or $$$$$$ corruption is inevitable. I just want the NFL to act within reasonable bounds across the board. If drug use is against the law and warrants a 4 game suspension then ignoring a different rule printed in the same rule book should warrant a like penalty. I also agree those crying for a lifetime ban or suspension or hanging or firing squad need to take a vallium and reflect a little bit on reality. Finally no matter what anyone does children have hero's and role models besides their parents especially in this day of sensationalizing everything. My kids think their parents are their role models and then still have sports heroes they follow and whether I like to admit it or not they do impact their lives to some degree.

Maybe I am just the oddity that sees both sides of this and thinks the extremes to both sides are wrong.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #75
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Right or wrong, problem is outside of a New England fan, the world seems to hate Brady. As much as I am on that majority side, repeated winners are hated. Repeated winners that are cheaters are hated yet more. Few outside a New England fan is sad by this development/findings.
As much as I am a Yankees fan, A-Rod is a cheater. Can't defend or respect him, regardless of level of punishment dished to him.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:35 AM   #76
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

We can't have anyone that much better than anyone else, can we?

Small people HATE to see others achieve because it diminishes them by comparison. It's Communist; you know, a hive mentality. No one must stand out. No one should be allowed any more honors than his brother. Everything belongs to the collective, body and soul, like insects. So what happens? Brady will be destroyed by the collective for his greatness and nothing more. They're like the football equivalent of Antonio Salieri. History has demonstrated many times before that collective mediocrity will always try to destroy individual greatness; not unlike the James Caan character in "Rollerball". And again I ask: what about the under-inflated game balls of Indianapolis that day?
Old 05-11-2015, 05:18 AM   #77
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The Borg. Ugh. I hate those hive bastages.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:46 AM   #78
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post

Small people HATE to see others achieve because it diminishes them by comparison. It's Communist; you know, a hive mentality.
The nail the sticks out must be banged back down...
Old 05-11-2015, 08:14 AM   #79
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post

Small people HATE to see others achieve because it diminishes them by comparison.
The Steelers won plenty of Superbowls and most people LOVE Bradshaw, he's a lovable country bumpkin with smoking hot daughters, I think the point is people see Brady as coddled and treated with white kid gloves. Tom got hurt change the rules, speaking of which is the tuck rule even a rule anymore, I think they used it for that one game and got rid of it, but it was more than enough to save the Patriots asses in that game.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #80
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
The Steelers won plenty of Superbowls and most people LOVE Bradshaw, he's a lovable country bumpkin with smoking hot daughters, I think the point is people see Brady as coddled and treated with white kid gloves. Tom got hurt change the rules, speaking of which is the tuck rule even a rule anymore, I think they used it for that one game and got rid of it, but it was more than enough to save the Patriots asses in that game.

Yeeah, we're not very "bumpkin-ish" up here but it sounds to me like it's just personal animosity. Take a look at "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand and you'll see what I mean by my earlier statement.

One of the problems I have with football, in general; too many rule changes. Baseball changes rules about once every 45 years. Honestly, I don't think Football will survive with the lawsuits viz. head trauma and the like; it's too damned dangerous to avoid liability. Parents will eventually refuse to let their kids play and the schools will likely shut down programs as well; also to avoid liability. Little kids are getting their bells rung pretty badly and pediatricians are speaking out about it, loudly. Think about how that plays in court. Without new players to step up, the sport dies. We are a litigious society.