Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road
Default Perdomo Fresco Maduro vs. 826 Slow Aged Maduro

Can anyone help me compare/contrast the Perdomo Fresco Maduro and 826 Slow Aged Maduro? The Fresco is obviously easy to find locally and I've had a few enjoyable smokes from them. I enjoy the flavor but it tends to harshen in the last 1/3 or if smoked too fast/hot.

That said, I've read great reviews of the 826 Slow Aged at a similar or lower price point but they seem to be internet only. Is the 826 Slow Aged worth going through the hassle to obtain online, i.e. paying high shipping for a few singles before taking the plunge on a bundle? Is the 826 any smoother, sweeter, richer, or less harsh than the Fresco?

Bonus points for comparing the Natural versions of each as well, since I've enjoyed the Fresco Natural even if it's a little one-dimensional. I hear the 826 Slow Aged Natural is much creamier and if so might be of interest, especially for an after-dinner smoke with a few friends that like to light up but not as frequently and usually only what's handed to them.

Thanks in advance!
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Perdomo Fresco Maduro vs. 826 Slow Aged Maduro

It has been 18 months or more since I've had either, so feel free to dismiss what I recall (CRS bigtime).

To me, Nick does a pretty good job with Maduro wrappers - particularly in the cheap spectrum. However, I've found the Frescos (nattie included) to be pretty harsh. I think you'll find the Slow Aged to be considerably smoother, but also milder. I probably would need to be pretty hard up to smoke a Fresco, but I wouldn't turn down a Slow Aged.

I wouldn't worry too much about the investment in the Slow Aged. They're cheap at CI and really cheap at cigarbid. Even if you end up getting a bundle, I think you'll like them well enough -- if not, they're fine for mooches and troop bombs.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

826s can be had pretty cheaply on the Devil Site. Combine shipping with some other ones you've been considering to lessen the rate.

I've had numerous 826s over the years and they're pleasant. Never had a Fresco, but being a maduro lover, I would assume it couldn't be too bad.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

To make things a touch more complicated, how does the Nick's Sticks Maduro fit into the equation? It's obviously more expensive, as much as 50% more than the Fresco, but also easy to find locally.

The main reason I want to avoid a bundle is I'm still early on trying to find what I like and, so far, buying singles keeps me more willing to try more things knowing I'm not sitting on a bundle of something else at home. So far I've purposefully limited myself to a ~20 stick tupperdor to avoid the hoarding mentality... we'll see how long that lasts.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopkins82 View Post
So far I've purposefully limited myself to a ~20 stick tupperdor to avoid the hoarding mentality... we'll see how long that lasts.
Welcome to the Asylum and welcome to hordum.

You're on this site = you're doomed!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
dave
Have My Own Room

Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/...Maduro-5-Pack/

If recent history is any indication, this will close at $7 or $9 tonight. Four bucks for shipping and you aren't risking a whole heck of a lot to give 'em a spin. I think you'll be pleased.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Sounds like bidding on a 5-pack is the way to go then... thanks!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

I picked up a 5-pack of 826 Slow-Aged Churchill Maduro for $7... along with them I grabbed a 5-pack of Tiera del Sol Toro Maduro for and Churchill Natural for $7 each, and a 5-pack of Bahia Blu B500 Robusto for $5. Should be 20 nice sticks for just north of $30 shipped. I would have liked to grab a 826 Slow-Aged Natural as well, but there weren't any available within my weekly shipping window.

I also probably would have bit on one of the cigar branded 20-30 capacity humidors for around $10 had a Perdomo been available... luckily I grabbed one on eBay for $12 shipped. If it doesn't hold RH, I can always use it as a catch-all for my wallet/keys/lighter/etc next to my 10-watch box on my valet stand in the closet. The Ashton branded version doesn't look bad, but I've only ever received one Ashton (a Churchill Maduro) as a gift before I ever started smoking, and I'm trying to rehydrate it right now after spending about 6 months in a cigar-shop zip-loc in my night stand.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Let us know how you like the cigars! Maybe even post a review?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
dave
Have My Own Room

Partagas Navy (Retired)

What size Tierra del Sol Maduro did you get, Shop?

It is a funny line of cigars. I cannot get halfway thru a nattie.

I've tried every size of maduro and there's big differences. The 50 RG's (DC, Church) aren't bad, but don't burn very well and are a bit plain. The fatties (toro and torp) burn great, but again don't taste like much.
The corona maduro, however, can be a real jewel. Sometimes you get lighter wrappers that are more like the nats, and very plain. The darkest corona maduro are very sweet and very rich, while being just on the mild side of medium. Lots of sweet cocoa and they make a great morning cigar - especially at a buck per.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

I got the Maduro in Churchill and the Natural in Toro. What was it in particular that you don't like about the Natural? In general I seem to like Maduro flavor better, but prefer Natural/Connecticut strength in most cases. I'm still looking for a solid medium-body full-flavor Maduro that doesn't go completely harsh the last 1/3 and that I can afford.