Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of
Default RP Renaissance

So yesterday I smoked a Rocky Patel Renaissance. Thanks for Jaime for gifting me this cigar.

I took it out of the cello and it was pretty smooth and had slight veins that you really had to feel the cigar to feel them. It was very well constructed. Not hard but not spongy either. Just perfect. I cut the cap with my new camo Palio (thanks Mac) and lit this baby up.

I got plenty of smoke out of this cigar for the entire time smoked. It opened with flavors of raisins and that slowly diminished about an inch into the smoke. Then the cocoa started and began to build. Great cocoa flavors and eventually the raisin came back. I smoked this stick down to about 1 1/2-2" as my steak was done and it was time to eat inside (I don't smoke inside the house).

I smoked this stick while grilling a steak for dinner. I was also drinking some coffee with it. It paired rather great with the coffee. I would say it took me 1 1/2 hours to smoke the cigar (I did light it up way before the steak was cooking).

Thanks Jaime for gifting me one of these fine smokes by RP. Glad I traded you for a 5'er of them.

I'll post photos from my phone tomorrow.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: RP Renaissance

The first one I had was a couple of months ago when Jaime and Kate were here with the CCHC. Since then I have burned through nearly two boxes. I really like this stick!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

I am a big RP fan, especially of the Vintage line; it sounds like this smoke is right in line with it. How would you describe the body? Medium, Full? Thanks for the review!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
DougBushBC

They are really good cigars, I don't love everything he makes, but some of RPs smokes are damned impressive for the market size he has reached. I like these, as well as Sungrowns and Decades.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review, for real.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
I am a big RP fan, especially of the Vintage line; it sounds like this smoke is right in line with it. How would you describe the body? Medium, Full? Thanks for the review!
I would say a solid medium leaning toward full. BTW... I like the robusto the best and I am typically not a robusto smoker.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
joetownhound
EYH Survivor

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (18)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
joetownhound will become famous soon enough

great review
Old 10-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about

Glad you enjoyed and great review Andrew. We can do it again anytime!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
DoctorBJ

I'm fairly certain Jamie talked me into my first one too. Hell of a smoke. I believe I walked out with a dozen smokes from The Blue, unusual for me with a smoke I don't know too well.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Scothew
CA Scott #2658

First Name: Scott
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough

I smoked a renaissance that had been decently aged and the various flavor changes and all made me fall in love with them. Probably the first or second smoke I really truely enjoyed and was able to tell when things changed in it. Definitely in my top 5 "i'm still a noob" list.

I did smoke a renaissance that was fresh from the factory shipped straight to store and it wasnt as good,
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
pgagnon

so i take it i should let them ret if i happen to get some?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
Scothew
CA Scott #2658

First Name: Scott
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough

Thats just how I felt about the one I got a RP event at one of our local shops. They were doing a summer 09 event and Xcytez got a free Renn so I smoked it and you could just tell it hadnt had much rest at all, it along with all the summer 09's were prob as fresh as you can get.
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

I really like some of the RP Stuff, (ITSF, RP Vintage, OWR) but he just keeps cranking out new blends and I cant keep up.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Andrew...might have to torch one of these soon.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

I agree with gator as it is medium to full bodied.

Mac, do you have one of these sticks?
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgagnon View Post
so i take it i should let them ret if i happen to get some?
Hmmm....
Old 10-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #17
njstone

Thanks for the review! In fact, you've just made up my mind as to what to smoke this afternoon
Old 10-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #18
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
The first one I had was a couple of months ago when Jaime and Kate were here with the CCHC.
me too!!

i liked the stick as well. along w/the sungrowns and vintage 90s, they are my fav RP smokes
Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
njstone

Just finished my first Renaissance ... really good cigar! I was impressed.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #20
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Was told by a RP rep (as well as some posts in prior threads) that this is an Edge Sumatra blend relabeled, any way for someone to confirm it either way?
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote