Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-28-2010, 05:06 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Cain F660

I got this cigar from The Longfiller Company as they release these cigars on the Dutch market and they wanted me to review it. Cain, made by Oliva and Sam Leccia and the Cain F is the strongest and boldest Cain blend available. F stands for "force revined" and there are 3 sizes on the marked, a robusto called the 550 (5¾x50), a toro called 660 (6x60) and 6x54 Torpedo with the name 654T. The cigars are pure ligero and contain Esteli, Condega and Jalapa ligero.

The cigar is bold and rough with a dark brown and silky wrapper with big fat veins. This is the kind of cigar you expect with a biker, just from the looks of it. The cigar has a nice small band at the foot, which seems to be the new trend. The construction feels good and the cigar doesn't have much aroma. I smell a barnyard aroma though, but not strong. The predraw is a bit hard and leaves a mild peppery flavor on my lips.

I can taste a quite full earth flavor with some leather. That sounds typical Cuban but it's not, Cuban flavors taste different. After two inch the leather becomes the strongest flavor while the earthy notes are support and the strength of the flavors tones down a bit to medium. I also get a bit of a chocolate flavor.

After ⅔rd the flavors pick up again and I can also taste some coffee. The flavors keep growing in strength and I can say that the last part, the nub, is by far the best part of the cigar.

The draw is a bit hard but still I get plenty of smoke from the cigar. The burn is good. The pepper and salt colored ash is very firm. This cigar is a powerhouse, full bodied but only medium to full flavored. Don't get me wrong, I like powerhouses like Oliva V, Opus X, some Tatuajes and even Joya de Nicaragua Antano, but while blending these cigars flavor came before strength and I suspect Sam Leccia wanted to create a cigar as strong and bold as possible and putting flavor second.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, this is not my kind of cigar. It's not bad, but the balance between flavor and strength is off for my palate.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
Old 04-28-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cain F660

I agree. I am not a big fan of the Cain F. I like the regular Cain Habano though. I also don't understand how they can call it "Straight Ligero" when it isn't. I mean, if you add up the % on the box, it doesn't equal 100%
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Ferdie. I grabbed two of each size this weekend as I am curious about these. I do LOVE the maduro version of this stick.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Yes, nice review. I have had 2 of these and really enjoyed them. I like the stronger, fuller sticks and therefore this one is up my alley. I have a few more in my humidor and I'll have to pay more attention to the flavor profile next time. Thanks for the review. Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review. I've been meaning to try these. Hope they live up to my expectations.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Great review (as usual ).

I haven't tried any Cains yet, but I think it will be in the works soon. I don't mind full strength (as long as I have a full stomach), but I appreciate a full flavored cigar more.

A buddy of mine had a Cain Straight, and that didn't settle well at all with him.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I have a Cain something in my humi, thanks for the review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
CheapHumidors
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Dave
Trading: (0)
CheapHumidors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I agree. I am not a big fan of the Cain F. I like the regular Cain Habano though. I also don't understand how they can call it "Straight Ligero" when it isn't. I mean, if you add up the % on the box, it doesn't equal 100%
Cain Habano is one of my favorite sticks. The Cain F was good too, but I feel as though (in the sticks I had at least) that there was a better complexity of flavors and a more peppery taste in the regular Habano.

As for calling it straight ligero... I dunno I never did bother to add up those percentages. Good catch.
CheapHumidors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
homerjay19
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (10)
Partagas
homerjay19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa View Post
Great review (as usual ).

I haven't tried any Cains yet, but I think it will be in the works soon. I don't mind full strength (as long as I have a full stomach), but I appreciate a full flavored cigar more.

A buddy of mine had a Cain Straight, and that didn't settle well at all with him.
It was me Kenyan was talking about, I was/am still new to cigar smoking and I didn't feel anything sitting down outside, it's when I got up of my lazy arse that it didn't agree with me...lesson learned for not reading about it beforehand.
homerjay19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerjay19 View Post
It was me Kenyan was talking about, I was/am still new to cigar smoking and I didn't feel anything sitting down outside, it's when I got up of my lazy arse that it didn't agree with me...lesson learned for not reading about it beforehand.
I guess that one can be chalked up to the "smoke a Cain of a full stomach" experience.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Nice Review Ferdie.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

smoked the 550 tonight, that one is much better. Review will follow in the morning.