Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough
Default Acapulco Vacation Planned?

MEXICO UNDER SIEGE

In Mexico, 13 killed in Acapulco area, 11 others elsewhere in Guerrero
Five police officers are slain and the bullet-riddled bodies of eight men are found in Acapulco just as foreign tourists are arriving for spring break.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
captain53
Have My Own Room

Default Re: Aapulco Vacation Planned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
MEXICO UNDER SIEGE

In Mexico, 13 killed in Acapulco area, 11 others elsewhere in Guerrero
Five police officers are slain and the bullet-riddled bodies of eight men are found in Acapulco just as foreign tourists are arriving for spring break.
Oops, I left the link off:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-a...,5589087.story
Old 03-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Cigary

I love going to Acapulco and been there in the past but there's no way in hell I'd be going anywhere in Mexico now. It's not just in Acapulco that these crazy basturds are going around shooting people as it's the whole friggin country and at night you don't even want to be out.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

My parents live in Mexico 4 months a year and they feel totally safe and I would not hesitate to vacation there.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Two Americans were killed in a drive-by in Juarez today. Bad time to visit Mexico, if I was going to go I would stay near the Yucatan Peninsula.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Darrell

Mexico has turned into a dangerous cesspool. I won't be vacationing there for a LONG time.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Two Americans were killed in a drive-by in Juarez today. Bad time to visit Mexico, if I was going to go I would stay near the Yucatan Peninsula.
Is a nice area as are parts of Q. Roo.

Just about all of the violence is on border cities.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
captain53
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Is a nice area as are parts of Q. Roo.

Just about all of the violence is on border cities.
Not Exactly - while the Yucatan area is far safer than any other area much of the violence is near the border there are no safe havens down there now. Last time I checked Acapulco and Mexico City are not near the border and both are extremely dangerous.

There are just too many nice places to go play in the sun to take the risk.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Not Exactly - while the Yucatan area is far safer than any other area much of the violence is near the border there are no safe havens down there now. Last time I checked Acapulco and Mexico City are not near the border and both are extremely dangerous.

There are just too many nice places to go play in the sun to take the risk.
Mexico City has always been dangerous in areas. Acapulco is a few isolated incidents. Let's not forget Mexico City is one of the largest cities in the world and your chances of going to where the violence is slim. As tourist, you'll be seeing like 2% of the city at best.

One could look at the violence in Los Angeles or NYC and say they are too dangerous to vacation in too.

My girlfriend and I stayed at wonderful resort in Somalia last summer and had a wonderful time. Never felt unsafe...

Just kidding on that one.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Acapulco Vacation Planned?

Not a safe place for Americans right now. The sun, sand & cold drinks are not worth your life or the life of your loved ones.

Chris.....
Old 03-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Yeah... "Targeted Americans" and "heads chopped off" should give you more of a pause than "you should be fine, it isn't worse than any large city in the US."
Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

I've vacationed in Mexico many times in the past, but there are just too many "safer" vacation options out there now. You won't catch my family or me in Mexico any time soon (regardless of how cheap the all inclusive hotels and airfares are).
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Do you guys REALLY feel like traveling to Cancun would be unsafe? (appears Tom would consider it) It is an honest question....

I have been SERIOUSLY considering taking the family down there in the Fall and have been within a click of booking airfare... I have really not thought much about it being so unsafe that I need to start looking elsewhere.....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Do you guys REALLY feel like traveling to Cancun would be unsafe? (appears Tom would consider it) It is an honest question....

I have been SERIOUSLY considering taking the family down there in the Fall and have been within a click of booking airfare... I have really not thought much about it being so unsafe that I need to start looking elsewhere.....
Tom is the size of a house. I would travel there with him maybe. His cocked eyebrow at a bad guy might be able to deflect a machete swipe.

Subject my wife to possible danger, with highly increased extremely violent activity? Ain't gonna happen. There are lots of places with great beaches and food.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post

The wife and I went to Cancun last year for a trip she won. As soon as I stepped off the plane and gave them my passport the lady started tearing pages and told me it was invalid because of the damage and that I couldn't enter the country. When I asked to talk to her supervisor he actually tore another page in front of me and told me he'd do me a favor and let me proceed on my vacation for 200 dollars. The entire time they kept trying to convince my wife to go on without me.

Never again.

At the resort her company was great about the entire thing. They reimbursed us and made copies of my passport to email back to the states just in case. One of the CEO's had gotten stopped and shook down for 50 bucks because his TAXI DRIVER was speeding.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I have zero interest in going to a 3rd World country.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Hippo View Post
The wife and I went to Cancun last year for a trip she won. As soon as I stepped off the plane and gave them my passport the lady started tearing pages and told me it was invalid because of the damage and that I couldn't enter the country.
Wow, when I go to Mexico, people could not be friendlier and more accomodating. Very odd. I schedule my transportation ahead from the airport to ferry for $12 a person and it could not be more professional. Cancun for most tourists is really just one street that has no locals and little other than resorts. Where my parents live is an island and could not be safer.

People have different tolerences for safety. Some don't feel safe walking around NYC at 2:00 AM, so I can understand. Heck, I am going to Columbia, so maybe I am not the one to ask.

Let's not forget that Mexico has 20 million people and if you added that up between Detriot, Los Angeles, NYC, Washington DC, Houston, that amount killings annually might not be that far apart. Maybe it is? Would be curious to know.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #18
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

Guys, don't get me wrong, we met some very nice people and saw some beautiful landscapes, but after the first 25 mins in the country I wanted nothing more than to get home and see my daughter again. I know TONS of people go and have a great time each year, however after something like that happens to you, it's just not worth it to take a chance like that again. The entire trip we were so nervous about getting back that we didn't get a chance to enjoy ourselves.

There are safer places to vist.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #19
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

I was planning a trip to an all inclusive in Cozumel or Cancun. They are safe to an extent, BUT who wants to go to another country and be limited to the resort they stay in. Not me. Ill spend my money elsewhere.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Let's not forget that Mexico has 20 million people and if you added that up between Detriot, Los Angeles, NYC, Washington DC, Houston, that amount killings annually might not be that far apart. Maybe it is? Would be curious to know.
I meant Mexico City has 20 million people..