Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default Reserva Miraflora Toro

This is version 2.0 of Illinoishoosier's Review Corner. My first review here will be a Reserva Miraflora from GDW Cigars. Andy is a member here and also over at CS. Through PM's, he asked if I would review his cigars and I said sure, why not!

This review was different from other reviews because I smoked the cigar while chatting with Andy, via AOL. Very interesting to share the cigar and review it play by play, so to speak.

Link to info:
http://gdwcigar-products.blogspot.com/

PM AndresMadera GDW for sales info here at the Asylum.

So, without further ado....

Reserva Miraflora Toro
5x54
Nicaraguan Puro cigar

Waiting for death...

Pre lite aroma is sweet and earthy. This cigar has a nice, dark brown, smooth wrapper with small veins. Cap has small defect, but it clip right off, so no worries. Very firm and solid. The initial taste before lighting is molasses, with just a little pepper.

Cigar clipped evenly, very little cast off with the Palio and it lit easily. The draw is firm, but not too tight. The iniial flavor is holding that sweet molasses flavor. Putting out a nice amount of smoke, which, those of you who read my reviews, is a big plus. Burn has started a little uneven, but we'll see how it corrects.

4 minutes in...

Draw is just right and I am getting loads of creamy smoke. Flavor is unchanged.

At 10 minutes, the flavor is very smooth and has picked up some leather. Not in your face flavor. The burn is still a little uneven, but nothing to touch up, yet.

20 minutes...

The flavor has smoothed out to a nice leather and spice taste. Great smoke and draw. the burn has evened out. The ash is a nice light gray
and tight. Very nice smoke so far.

The next 20 minutes the cigar does not change much at all. The flavor, burn and draw are all consistent. Although billed as a full-bodied cigar, it is very subtle at this point.

Look at my ash!! Unfortunately, it dropped a few minutes later. Held for 44 minutes.

50 minutes in and the stick is recovering nicely after the ash drop. Picking up some coffee flavor under the leather. A very pleasant, floral aroma is coming off the stick.

Half an hour later, we are still enjoying the stick. the burn has started to go crooked and it has definitely slowed down a bit. Getting what i can only describe as a "toasty" flavor coming through.

At 90 minutes, the ash is getting a little flaky and I touched up the burn. The flavor, however, is still very nice at this point. Normally, this is where I pitch the stick because it gets harsh, but this one hasn't.

Here, we died, at 99 minuutes!!

I ignored it and it went out on it's own.
Picked up a nice easy nic buzz about halfway through and never got "out of control". The flavors were subtle and consistent all the way through. I would consider this a "medium-full" cigar.

Overall, very nice stick. Andy was great to deal with and it was fun to get his impressions as I was smoking. My pallete was picking up the flavors at pretty much the points where I should.

I give this stick....
4 illinoishoosiers out of 5.

(I know, you;re disappointed no pics in the ratings.)

Last edited by Whee; 10-21-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: added Andy's PM info
Whee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reserva Miraflora Toro

Thanks for the review! I might have to pick up some of these!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
ChicagoWhiteSox

wow nice review, im gonna have to get me some of these
Old 10-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
kiokicigars

I have to add my comments here. I smoked it this morning in the car and the aroma unlike a lot of other sticks was just wonderful. Great flavor, but not over powerful at all. The cigar burned great all the way through...super construction and cannot wait to smoke another. Reminded me on the lines of a padron.

Last edited by kiokicigars; 10-22-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: text
Old 10-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
AndyMadera
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (46)
Trinidad
AndyMadera will become famous soon enoughAndyMadera will become famous soon enough

Hey Illinoishoosier!

Thank you for the great review. I really enjoyed being able to hear your responses first hand and getting the play-by-play pictures. I would really like to do it again with you or anyone else interested in giving me a live review. I expect other reviews are going to start popping up and you set the bar with a great review!

Andy
AndyMadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndresMadera GDW View Post
Hey Illinoishoosier!

Thank you for the great review. I really enjoyed being able to hear your responses first hand and getting the play-by-play pictures. I would really like to do it again with you or anyone else interested in giving me a live review. I expect other reviews are going to start popping up and you set the bar with a great review!

Andy
I just picked up a sampler from Keoki. I can't wait to fire one of these puppies up. They look good and sound good.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #7
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for a detailed review IH
Old 11-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
TOB9595
Managing the UnManageable

First Name: Tom
Trading: (12)
TOB9595 is on a distinguished road

nice review of a stick that I'm hearing more of...

Hmmm, I'll look for a sampler pack of different size
Tom
TOB9595 is offline   Reply With Quote