Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-31-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Oliva 100 Angel

Longknocker gave this one to me in a bomb from last month. I just broke into my humidor as i had lost the keys and this one was staring me in the face. She was a 6 X 52 beauty with a smooth dark wrapper. Couple of veins but she looked good. Gave a clip............

Prelight draw was a bit tight and tasted like cedar and toast. I grabbed the old Ronson (also gifted by Greg) and gave her a light.

Opened up with some pepper but not much else, good aroma but even though the stick was packed with tobacco, the smoke was almost nonexistent. In fact, I was drawing on it repeatedly to make sure she was lit. This went on for the first inch of the stick.

After the first inch or so, the ash dropped. The flavors livened and became those of cedar, toasted nut and some coffee. The smoke was more substantial and I was getting happier. toward the middle of the stick, the pepper subsided a bit and the coffee grew stronger.

With about two inches left in the cigar, it got a bit more powerful. The flavors lent themselves to a spicy, nutty espresso with a hint of cocoa although not prevalent. Unfortunatley, the flavor profile would not hold on for too much longer.

At this point, it got bitter. I purged twice, but it didn't return to the flavor profile I was hoping it would. I let her die gracefully at this point.

I liked the cigar although I would go scouring the landscape to buy another. I would give it a 5. If it didnt become so bitter at the end, a 6 or 6.5
Old 10-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Oliva 100 Angel

Nice review. Never heard of these, still be interested in trying one.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
leasingthisspace

I liked the few I had of these. I smoked them real slow because at the time I was trying to learn snorkeling. The flavors were good. I am a fan of the coffee/coco.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Trading: (62)
papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
I liked the few I had of these. I smoked them real slow because at the time I was trying to learn snorkeling. The flavors were good. I am a fan of the coffee/coco.
Been smoking them for the last couple of years. They can be hit & miss but when they are on they are great. Since discontinued you can still catch them mighty cheap on Cbid. One thing I have learned with them is to smoke um slow....real slow.
papajohn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
JohnnyKay5
Armed Forces Tumbleweed

Trading: (22)
Partagas Army (Active)
JohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura about

I had a 5er of these and I have another 5er left. First ones were a great mellow creamy smoke. Great with a cup o' Joe. Looking forward to the next few!
JohnnyKay5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review, I think I have one of these in the humi.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Nice review, I stocked up on these when they were on sale...
Old 11-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

These are quite nice. I, too, stocked up when they were on sale and they've been getting even better over time.